The Doubts of a Proponent of Human Resource Management
Wątpliwości zwolennika Zarządzania Zasobami Ludzkimi
The field of HRM has been subject to development by many researchers and practitioners for many years. A considerable number of studies is being created and thousands of research questions are being undertaken, as is reported by web sites and publications. In spite of such achievements, the supporters of HRM ideas have had many doubts. The choice of questions discussed below is subjective in character, but efforts were made to arrange them into five issues of basic importance to scientific research. In the case of every issue, attempts were made at proceeding in the following manner: Firstly, a brief review of literature was carried out, where the views of different authors were compared; secondly, profound analysis of the literature was conducted; finally, efforts were made to fish out possible doubts and to present propositions for clarifying such doubts. The paper ends with an overview of a model of change in the field of HR. Work on it will also make it possible to identify further research directions. (original abstract)
Z punktu widzenia akademickiego, wydaje się oczywiste, że nauka bez wątpliwości jest martwa. Z punktu widzenia praktycznego, wątpliwości to słabe sygnały, których testy analizy są składnikiem skrzynki narzędziowej menedżerów. Innowacje i zmiany w biznesie rodzą się także dzięki studiowaniu dyskusji o wątpliwościach. Poniższe opracowanie ma dostarczyć odpowiednich krytycznych argumentów do wypracowania osobistego stanowiska menedżerów wobec przyszłości HRM. Jest także próbą sformułowania propozycji dla specjalistów i badaczy. Wybór omówionych zagadnień ma charakter subiektywny, ale starano się poruszyć w nim kilka zasadniczych dla badań naukowych kwestii: genezę i historyczne etapy, przedmiot, metoda, szacowanie efektu stosowania HRM oraz integracja środowiska zwolenników HRM. W każdym z tematów starano się postępować w następujący sposób: po pierwsze, dokonano krótkiego przeglądu literatury i porównano stanowiska autorów, po drugie, przeprowadzono analizę otrzymanego stanu literatury i w końcu starano się dostrzec ewentualne wątpliwości oraz przedstawić propozycje. (abstrakt oryginalny)
- Alcäzar F. M., Fernandez P. M., Gardey G. P. (2005), "Researching on SHRM: An Analysis of the Debate over the Role Played by Human Resources in Firm Success," Management Revue, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 213-242.
- Ansoff I. (1975), "Managing Strategic Surprise by Response to Weak Signals," California Management Review, Vol. XVIII, No. 2, pp. 21-33.
- Appleby A., Mavin S. (2000), "Innovation Not Imitation: Human Resource Strategy and the Impact on World-Class Startup," Total Quality Management, Vol. 11, No. 4/5, pp. 554-561.
- Arthur B. J. (1994), "Effects of Human Resource System on Manufacturing Performance and Turnover," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 670-687.
- Ashkenas R., Ulrich D., Jick T., Kerr P. (2002), The Boundaryless Organization: Breaking the Chains of Organizational Structure, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Bakke E. W. (1961), "The Human Resource Function," Management International, Vol. 1, March-April.
- Barney J. B., (1991), "Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage," Journal of Management, Vol. 17, pp. 99-120.
- Barney, J. B. and Wright, P. M. (1998), "On Becoming a Strategic Partner: The Role of Human Resources in Gaining Competitive Advantage," Human Resource Management, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 31-46.
- Baron D. (2006), "Evolutionary Theory," in Strategy: A Strategy Overview and Competitive Strategy, David. O. Faulkner, Campbell Andrew (Editors), Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 80-103.
- Beer M., Spector. B., Lawrence P., Mills D.Q., Walton R.E. (1984), Managing Human Assets, Free Press, New York.
- Bird A., Beechler P. (1995), "The Link between Business Strategy and Human Resource Management Strategy in US-Based Japanese Subsidiaries: An Empirical Investigation," journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 26 No. 1, pp. 23-47.
- Boselie P., Paauwe J., Jansen P.G.W. (2001), "Human Resource Management and Performance: Lessons from the Netherlands," International journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 7, No. 12, pp. 1107-1125.
- Burke R. J., Cooper C.L. (2005), Reinventing Human Resource Management: Challenges and New Directions, Routledge, London, New York.
- Carrell M., Elbert N. F., Hatfield R.D. (1995), Human Resource Management, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs.
- Chadwick C., Cappelli P. (1999), "Alternatives to Generic Strategy Typologies in Strategic Human Resource Management," International journal of Human Resource Management: Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management, Supplement, Vol. 4, pp. 1—30.
- Cofa R.W. (1999), When Competitive Advantage Doesn't Lead to Performance: The Resource Based—View and Stakeholder Bargaining Power," Organization Science, Vol. 10, issue 2, pp. 119-133.
- Coff W. (1997), "Human Assets and Management Dilemmas: Coping with Hazards on the Road to Resource-Based Theory," Academy of Management Review, Vol. 22, No. 2, p. 374.
- Coff W. (1997), "Human Assets and Management Dilemmas: Coping With Hazards On the Road to Resource-Based Theory," Academy of Management Review, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 374-402.
- Cole G.A. (1997), Personnel Management, Letts, London.
- Cross R.L., Amin Yan, Reis L. (2000), "Boundary Activities in Boundaryless Organization: A Case of a Transformation to a Team-Based Structure," Human Relations, Vol. 53, issue 6, pp. 841-868.
- Day G.P., Schoemaker P.J.H. (2005), "Scanning the Periphery," Harvard Business Review, Vol. 83, issue 11, pp. 135-148.
- Delaney J.T., Lewin D., Ichniowski C. (1989), Human Resource Policies and Practices in American Firms, Washington, D.C., U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Delery J.E., Doty D.H. (1996), "Modes of Theorizing in Strategic Human Resource Management," Academy of Management journal, 39(4), pp. 802-835.
- Dewar R., Werbel J. (1979), "Universalistic and Contingency Prediction of Employee Satisfaction and Conflict," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 24, pp. 426-448.
- Donkin R. (2006), "The Bell Tolls for the HR 'Dead Pool,'" Human Resources, London, March 2006, p. 12.
- Edwards C. (1993), "Book Review: John Storey, "Developments in the Management of Human Resources", Industrial Relations Journal, Vol. 34, No. 3, p. 254.
- Ferris G.R. Hall A.T., Royle T.M, Martocchio J. J (2004), "Theoretical Development in The Field of Human Resources Management: Issues and Challenges for the Future," Organizational Analysis, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 231-254.
- French W. (1964), The Personal Management Process: Human Resources Administration, Houghton Mifflin, Boston.
- Grundy T. (1998), "How Are Corporate Strategy and Human Resources Strategy Linked?" Journal of General Management, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 49-72.
- Guest D.E. Michie J., Comvay N., Sheehan M. (2003), "Human Resource Management and Corporate Performance in the UK," British Journal of Industrial Relations, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 291,240.
- Harland C., Zheng J., Johnsen T., Lamming R. (2004), "A Conceptual Model for Researching the Creation and Operation of Supply Networks," British Journal of Management, Vol. 15, pp. 1-21.
- Hart T. (1983), "Human Resource Management: Time to Exorcise the Militant Tendency," Employee Relations, Vol. 15, issue 3, pp. 29-36.
- HoltomB.C. (1998), "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants Is a Matter of Perspective," Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 9, issue 4, pp. 403-413. Human Resource Management, 1997, Vol. 36, issue 3.
- Huselid M.A., Jackson P.E., Schuler R.P. (1997), "Technical and Strategic Human Resource Management Effectiveness as Determinants of Firm Performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 171-188.
- Huselid M.A. (1995), "The Impact of Human Resource Management Practices on Turnover, Productivity, and Corporate Financial Performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 38, No. 3, p. 635-672.
- Jamrog J.J., Overholt M.H. (2004), "Building a Strategic HR Function: Continuing the Evolution," Human Resource Planning, Vol. 27, issue 1, pp. 51-63.
- Julien P.A., Andriambeloson E., Ramangalahy C. (2004), "Networks, Weak Signals and Technological Innovations among SMEs in the Land-Based Transportation Equipment Sector," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, No. 16, pp. 251-269.
- Kamoche K. (1995), "Rhetoric, Ritualism, and Totemism in Human Resource Management," Human Relations, Vol. 48, No. 4, p. 367-385.
- Kamoche K. (1996), "Strategic Human Resource Management within a Resource-Capability View of the Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 213-34.
- Katz J.A., Welbourne T.M. (Editors) (2002), Managing People in Entrepreneurial Organizations: Learning from the Merger of Entrepreneurship and Human Resource Management, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam.
- Kochan T.A., Osterman P. (1994), The Mutual Gains Enterprise, Harvard Business School Press, Boston.
- Kühn T.P. (1970), The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, Second Edition, Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- Lovett P., Harrison D., Virick M. (1997), "Managing the Boundary Spanner-Customer Turnover Connection," Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 405-424.
- MacDuffieJ.P. (1995), "Human Resource Bundles and Manufacturing Performance," Industrial Relation Review, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 199-221.
- Madsen A.S., Ulhoi J.P. (2005), "Technology Innovation, Human Resources and Dysfunctional Integration," International Journal of Manpower, Vol. 26, No. 6, p. 488.
- McMahan G.G., Bell M.P., Virick M. (1998), "Strategie Human Resource Management: Employee Involvement, Diversity, and International Issues," Hunan Resource Management Review, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 193-214.
- McPherson J.M. (1983), "An Ecology of Affiliation," American Sociological Review, No. 48, pp. 519-535.
- Miles R., Snow G.G. (1984), "Designing Strategic Human Resources Systems," Organizational Dynamics, Summer, pp. 36-52.
- Nelson B.R., Winter P.G. (1982), An Evolutionary Theory of Economic Change, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Belknap.
- Nelson B.R., Winter P.G. (2002), "Evolutionary Theorizing in Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 16, issue 2, pp. 23-46.
- Morley MJ. (2004), "Contemporary Debates in European Human Resource Management: Context and Content," Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 14, issue 4, pp. 353-364.
- Oliver C. (1997), "Sustainable Competitive Advantage: Combining Institutional and Resource-Based Views," Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 18, No. 9, pp. 697-713.
- Penrose E. (1959), The Theory of the Growth of the Firm, Oxford, Blackwell.
- Pfeffer J. (1994), "Competitive Advantage through People," Harvard Business School Press, Boston.
- Rogers E.W., Wright P.M. (1998), "Measuring Organizational Performance in Strategic Human Resource Management: Problems, Prospects, and Performance Information Markets," Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 311-331.
- Ross J.D. (1981), "A Definition of Human Resources Management," Personnel Journal, No. 60, p. 781.
- Sherer P.D., Leblebici H. (2001), "Bringing variety and Change into Strategic Human Resource Management Research," Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, Vol. 20, pp. 199-230.
- Strauss G. (2001), "HRM in the USA: Correcting Some British Impressions," International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 873-897.
- The Academy of Management Journal, 1996, Vol. 4, No. 39.
- The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1997, Vol. 3, No. 8.
- Thite M. (2004), "Strategic Positioning of HRM in Knowledge-Based Organizations," The Learning Organization, Vol. 11, issue 1.
- Tosi Jr., Henoy L., Gomez-Mejia, Luis R. (1989), "The Decoupling of CEO Pay and Performance: An Agency Theory Perspective," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 34, issue 2, pp. 169-190.
- West M., Patterson M. (1999), "The Workforce and Productivity," New Economy, Vol. 6 No. 1, pp. 22-28.
- Wright P.M., Sherman W.P. (1999), "Failing to Find Fit in Strategic Human Resource Management: The Theoretical and Empirical Problems," International Journal of Human Resource Management: Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management, Supplement, Vol. 4, pp. 53-74.
- Wright P.M., McMahan G.G. (1992), "Theoretical Perspectives for Strategic Human Resource Management," Journal of Management, Vol. 18, Issue 2, pp. 295-320.