Intraday CAC40, DAX and WIG20 Returns when the American Macro News is Announced
We examine the reaction of the returns of CAC40, DAX and WIG20 to the periodically scheduled prominent American macroeconomic data announcements. We investigate returns and volatility dynamics at the time of news arrival as well as interdependence between series within the time of the announcements. The results suggest that the macro announcements from the U.S. market not only explain seasonality observed in these equity markets but also have a significant impact on both returns and volatility. However, the reactions to announcements are different with respect to the type of announcement. Application of dynamic conditional correlation models allows us to decompose the total impact of announcements into the reaction on the domestic market and conditional correlation between the markets. (original abstract)
- Andersen T., Bollerslev T. (1997), Intraday Periodicity and Volatility Persistence in Financial Markets, Journal of Empirical Finance, 4, 115-158.
- Andersen T., Bollerslev T. (1998), DM-Dollar volatility: intraday activity patterns macroeconomic announcements and longer run dependencies, The Journal of Finance, 53, 219-265.
- Andersen T., Bollerslev T., Diebold F., Vega C. (2007), Real-time price discovery in global stock, bond and foreign exchange markets, Journal of International Economics, 73, 251-277.
- Black F. (1976), The pricing of commodity contracts, Journal of Financial Economics, 3, 167-179.
- Chung C.F. (1999), Estimating the Fractionally Integrated GARCH Model, National Taïwan University Working Paper, Taipei, http://idv.sinica.edu.tw/metrics/Pdf_Papers/Figarch.pdf.
- Dacorogna M., Gençay R., Müller U., Olsen R., Pictet O. (2001), An introduction to high-frequency finance, Academic Press, London.
- Ederington L.H., Lee J.H. (1993), How markets process information: news releases and volatility, Journal of Finance, 48, 1161-1189.
- Engle R.F. (2002), Dynamic conditional correlations: a simple class of multivariate generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity models, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 20, 339-350.
- Hanousek J., Kocenda E., Kutan A. (2008), The reaction of asset prices to macroeconomic announcements in new EU markets: Evidence from intraday data, Working Paper, 349, Charles University, Centre for Economic Research and Graduate Education, Prague.
- Harju K., Hussain S. (2006), Intraday seasonalities and macroeconomic news announcements, Working Papers, 512, HANKEN - Swedish School of Economics and Business Administration, Vasa.
- Lahaye J., Laurent S., Neely Ch. (2007), Jumps, Cojumps and Macroannouncements, Working Paper 2007-032A, Federal Reserve Bank of Saint Louis.
- Laurent S., (2007), Estimating and Forecasting ARCH Models Using G@RCH 5.1, Timberlake Consultants Ltd, www.timberlake.co.uk.
- Li L., Engle R. (1998), Macroeconomic announcements and volatility of Treasury futures, Economics Working Paper Series, 98-27, University of California at San Diego.
- Pelagatti M., Rondena S. (2006), Conditional correlation with elliptical distribution, Working Paper, Universita degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartamento di Statistica, http://www.statistica. unimib.it/utenti/WorkingPapers/WorkingPapers/20060508.pdf.
- Wood R.A., McInish T.H., Ord J.K. (1985), An investigation of transaction data for NYSE stocks, Journal of Finance, 25, 723-739.