Virtual Organizations as Temporary Organizational Networks : Boundary Blurring, Dilemmas, Career Characteristics and Leadership
The present study investigated the virtual organization model from a relational constructionist perspective. Since the beginning of the nineties, virtual organizations are applauded as the most economically efficient organizational structure to confront the challenges of increasing global competition and environmental complexity. However, when looking at this new organizational activity from a relational constructionist perspective, several critical questions and dilemmas emerge that go unnoticed in the literature. At the same time, in real life 'Open Innovation' cases, the possibilities and boundaries of virtual organizing are also becoming clearer. Compared to classical organizing, virtual organizing makes different demands on managing interdependencies, collaboration, communication, leadership and evaluation, decision making, loyalty and identification with the company. This article inquires into the processes and effects of boundary blurring; dilemmas and challenges concerning trust, loyalty and identity/identification; critical career elements and inclusion/exclusion mechanisms; and the role of the leader/facilitator as convener. The main purpose is to develop a new research agenda by raising specific questions concerning the relational side of virtual organizing and related new forms of organization.(orginal abstrackt)
- Ahmed, N. U., Sharma, S., TQM in a virtual organization: Issues and strategy, "International Journal of Management & Enterprise Development", 5, 5, pp. 541-553, 2008.
- Anand, N., Daft, R. L., What is he right organizational design?, "Organizational Dynamics", 36, 4, pp. 329-344, 2007.
- Argyris, C., Double-Loop learning, teaching, and research, "Academy of Management Learning & Education", 1, 2, pp. 206-218, 2002.
- Argyris, C., Schön, D., Organizational learning II: Theory, method and practice. Reading, Mass: Addison-Wesley, 1996.
- Ashkenas, R., Ulrich, D., Jick, T., Kerr, S., The boundaryless organization. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1995.
- Bouwen, R., Relational construction of meaning in emerging organizational contexts, European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", 7, pp. 299-319, 1998.
- Bouwen, R., Hosking, D. M., Reflections on relational readings of organizational learning, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", 9, pp. 267-274, 2000.
- Bouwen, R., Taillieu, T., Multi-party collaboration as social learning for interdependence: Developing relational knowing for sustainable natural resource management, "Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology", 14, pp. 137-153, 2004.
- Brockmans, H., Interview with Henry Chesbrough. "Trends", 9 November, pp. 68-72, 2006.
- Byrne, J. A., Brandt, R., Port, O., The virtual corporation, "Business Week", 26, 3, pp. 36-41, 1993.
- Chesbrough, H. W., Open innovation: The new imperative for creating and profiting from technology. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 2003.
- Chesbrough, H. W., Open innovation: A new paradigm for understanding industrial innovation. In H. Chesbrough, W. Vanhaverbeke & J. West, (Eds.), Open innovation: Researching a new paradigm (pp. 1-14). Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2006.
- Chesbrough, H. W., Teece, D. J., When is virtual virtuous?, "Harvard Business Review", 74, 1, pp. 65-73, 1996.
- Chesbrough, H., Vanhaverbeke, W., West, J., Open innovation: Researching a new paradigm. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2006.
- Davidow, W. H., Malone, M. S., The virtual corporation: Structuring and revitalizing the corporation for the 21st century. Harper, New York, 1992.
- Dukerich, J. M., Kramer, R., McLean Parks, J., The dark side of organizational identification. In D. A. Whetten & P.C. Godfrey (Eds.), Identity in organizations. Building theory through conversations (pp. 245-256). Sage, London, 1998.
- Franke, U., Hickmann, B., Is the net-broker an entrepreneur? What role does the net-broker play in virtual webs and virtual corporations?, "VoNet - Newsletter", 1, 1, pp. 120-139, 1999.
- Gergen, K. J., Realities and relationships: Soundings in social construction. Boston: Harvard University Press, Boston, 1994.
- Gergen, K., The saturated self: Dilemmas of identity in contemporary life. Basic Books, New York, 2000.
- Gioia, D. A., From individual to organizational identity. In D. A. Whetten & P.C. Godfrey (Eds.), Identity in organizations. Building theory through conversations (pp. 17-31). Sage, London, 1998.
- Goldman, S. L., Nagel, R. N., Preiss, K., Agile competitors & virtual organizations. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1995.
- Gray, B., Collaborating. Finding common ground for multiparty problems. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 1989.
- Handy, C., Trust and the virtual organization, "Harvard Business Review", 73, 3, pp. 40-50, 1995.
- Hirschhorn, L., Gilmore, T., The new boundaries of the "boundaryless" company, "Harvard Business Review", 70, 3, 104-115, 1992.
- Hosking, D. M., Change works. A critical construction. In J. J. Boonstra (Ed.), Dynamics of organizational change and learning (pp. 259-276). Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, UK, 2004.
- Hosking, D. M., Discourses of relations and relational processes. In O. Kyriakidou & M. Özbilgin (Eds.), Relational perspectives in organizational studies: A research companion (pp. 265-277). Edward Elgar, Chettenham, UK, 2006.
- Kanter, R. M., Stein, B. A., Jick, T. D., The challenge of organizational change: How companies experience it and leaders guide it. Free Press, New York, 1992.
- Kamoche, K., Pina e Cunha, M., Minimal structures: From jazz improvisation to product innovation. Organization Studies, 22, 5, pp. 733-764, 2001.
- Lambrechts, F., Grieten, S., Bouwen, R., Corthouts, F., Process consultation revisited. Taking a "relational practice" perspective, "Journal of Applied Behavioral Science", 45, 1, pp. 39-58, 2009.
- Loebbecke, C., Jelassi, T., Concepts and technologies for virtual organizing: The Gerling journey, "European Management Journal", 15, 2, pp. 138-146, 1997.
- MacCormack, A., Forbath, T., Brooks, P., Kalaher, P., Innovation through global collaboration: A new source of competitive advantage. HBS Working Paper 07-079, 23 pp. Harvard Business School, Boston, MA, 2007.
- Meyerson, D., Weick, K. E., Kramer, R. M., Swift trust and temporary groups. In R. M. Kramer & T. R. Tyler, Trust in organizations: Frontiers of theory and research (pp. 166- 195). Sage, London, 1996.
- Mirvis, P. H., Hall, D. T., Psychological success and the boundaryless career, "Journal of Organizational Behavior", 15, pp. 365-380, 1994.
- Morgan, G., Images of organization. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, 1997.
- Mowshowitz, A., Virtual organization. "Communications of the ACM", 40, 9, pp. 30-37, 1997.
- Mowshowitz, A., Virtual organization: Toward a theory of societal transformation stimulated by information technology. Quorum Books, Westport, CT, 2002.
- Nonaka, I., A dynamic theory of organizational knowledge creation, "Organization Science", 5, 1, pp. 14-36, 1994.
- Orton, J. D., Weick, K. E., Loosely coupled systems: A reconceptualization, "Academy of Management Review", 15, 2, pp. 203-223, 1990.
- Pedersen, C., Nagengast, J., The virtues of the virtual organization, "Strategic HR Review", 7, 3, pp. 19-25, 2008.
- Quinn, J. B., Intelligent Enterprise: A Knowledge and Service Based Paradigm for Industry. Free Press, New York, 1992.
- Roose, H., Taillieu, T., Sips, K., The reverse effects of governmental policy and regulations in the social service sector in Flanders. In T. Taillieu (Ed.), Collaborative Strategies and Multi-organizational Partnerships (pp. 147-154). Garant, Leuven, 2001.
- Rousseau, D. M., Sitkin, S. B., Burt, R. S., Camerer, C., Not so different after all: A crossdiscipline view of trust, "Academy of Management Review", 23, 3, pp. 393-404, 1998.
- Schein, E. H., Organizational culture and leadership. Jossey-Bass Limited, London, 1985.
- Schein, E. H., Process consultation revisited. Building the helping relationship. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1999.
- Schruijer, S., Taillieu, T., Vansina, L., 'Leadership' in collaborative task-systems. Paper presented at the Fifth International Conference on Multi-Organizational Partnerships and Co-operative Strategies, July 6-8, Oxford, 1998.
- Sips, K., Using principles of multi-party collaboration to facilitate participatory planning in protected natural areas: Insights from the Flemish nature directive plans. Paper presented at the 14th International Conference on Multi-Organisational Partnerships, Alliances and Networks, June 28-29, Leuven, Belgium, 2007.
- Sips, K., Bouwen, R., The negotiation of an "activity space" through team-context interaction strategies. Paper presented at the 9th EAWOP conference (European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology), May 12-15, Espoo - Helsinki, Finland, 1999.
- Taillieu, T., De teloorgang van de hiërarchische organisatie: Naar nieuwe structuren en loopbanen. Cursustekst Burgerlijk Ingenieur en Burgerlijk Ingenieur-Architect aan de K.U. Leuven, 2002.
- Teece, D. J., Essays on technology management and policy.World Scientific, River Edge, NJ, 2003.
- Van Aken, J. E., De virtuele organisatie en andere organisatienetwerken, "Bedrijfskundig vakblad", 10, 1, pp. 10-15, 1998.
- Venkatraman, N., Henderson, J. C., Real strategies for virtual organizing, "Sloan Management Review", 40, 1, pp. 33-48, 1998.
- Warner, M., Witzel, M., Managing virtual organizations. Cengage Learning EMEA Higher Education, 2003.
- Watzlawick, P., Weakland, J. H., Fisch, R., Change: Principles of problem formation and problem resolution. Norton, New York, 1974.
- Weick, K. E., The social psychology of organizing. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1979.
- Weick, K. E., Sensemaking in organizations. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, 1995.
- Wenger, E., Communities of practice: Learning, meaning and identity. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1998.
- Zimmermann, F-O., Structural and managerial aspects of virtual enterprises. Proceedings of the European Conference on Virtual Enterprises and Networked Solutions - New Perspectives on Management, Communication and Information Technology, April 7-10, Paderborn, Germany, 1997.