Conceptual Reflections on Strategic Entrepreneurship : Intellectual Capital and the Framework of Dialectical Dynamics
The entrepreneurial perspective states that an organization can leverage the effectiveness impact of existing strategic management through opportunities exploration and exploitation, but little theoretical and empirical research addressed these issues. Developing the dialectical perspective on strategic entrepreneurship further, we theorize that contradictions’ reconciliation shapes opportunity creating and shaping. We delineated three such contradictions, that is deliberate versus emergent opportunities exploration, analysis versus intuition in entrepreneurial growth decisions, and physical versus intellectual capital investing in organization’s value. More specifically, we focus on explicating the strategic role that entrepreneurial, dialectical dynamics can play in enhancing organizational effectiveness.(original abstract)
- Achtenhagen, L., Melin, L., Organizing for a ‘strategic balance’: Two extreme cases of managing dualities. Paper presented at the 24thStrategic Management Society Annual Conference, San Juan, 2004.
- Aldrich, H. E., Baker, T., Learning and legitimacy: Entrepreneurial responses to constraints on the emergence of new populations and organizations, in: C. B. Schoonhoven, & E. Romanelli (eds.) The entrepreneurship dynamics. Origins of entrepreneurship and the evolution of industries. Stanford Business Books, pp. 207-235, Stanford, 2001.
- Alvarez, S. A., Busenitz, L. W., The entrepreneurship of resource-based theory, “Journal of Management”, No. 27, 2001.
- Bhide, A., The origin and evolution of new businesses. Oxford University Press, New York, 2000.
- Bowman, C., Collier, N., Resource-based view and strategy process prescriptions. Paper presented at the 24thStrategic Management Society Annual Conference, San Juan, 2004.
- Busenitz, L. W., Barney, J., Differences between entrepreneurs and managers in large organizations: Biases and heuristic in strategic decision making, “Journal of Business Venturing”, No. 12, 1997.
- Carmeli, A., Tishler, A., The relationships between intangible organizational elements and organizational performance, “Strategic Management Journal”, No. 25, 2004.
- Casson, M. Entrepreneurship, business culture and the theory of the firm, in: Z. J. Acs, & D. B. Audretsch (eds.), Handbook of entrepreneurship research. An interdisciplinary survey and introduction. Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 223-246, Boston/Dordrecht/London, 2003.
- Castrogiovanni, G., Pre-startup planning and the survival of new small businesses: Theoretical linkages, “Journal of Management”, No. 22, 1996.
- Chandler, G. N., Dahlqvist, J., Davidsson, P., Opportunity recognition processes: A taxonomy and outcome implications. Paper presented at 2002 Babson College – Kauffman Foundation Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Wellesley, 2002.
- Chrisman, J. J., Bauerschmidt, A., Hofer, C.W., The determinants of new venture performance: An extended model, “Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice”, No. 23, 1998.
- Clark, A., Being there: Putting brain, body and world together again. The MIT Press, Cambridge, 1997.
- Coff, R. W., Human capital, shared expertise, and the likelihood of impasse in corporate acquisitions. “Journal of Management”, No. 28, 2002.
- Coff, R.,W., Entrepreneurial human capital, in: M. A. Hitt& R. D. Ireland (eds.), The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management, Vol. III, Entrepreneurship (2nd edition), pp. 82-84, 2005.
- Cohen, W., M., Levinthal, D.,A., Fortune favors the prepared firm, “Management Science”, No. 40, 1994.
- Daft, R. L., Noe, R. A., Organizational behavior. Harcourt College Publishers, Orlando, 2001.
- Dagnino, G. B., Marian, M., Multilevel learning and dynamic gap bridging: Firm role in capability space and opportunity space co-evolution. Paper presented at the 24thStrategic Management Society Annual Conference, San Juan, 2004.
- Das, T. K., Teng, B-S., Cognitive biases and strategic decision processes: An integrative perspective, “Journal of Management Studies”, No. 36, 1999.
- Davidsson, P., Honig, B., The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs, “Journal of Business Venturing”, No. 18(3), 2003.
- Dess, G. G., Lumpkin, G. T., The role of entrepreneurial orientation in stimulating effective corporate entrepreneurship, “Academy of Management Executive”, No. 19, 2005.
- Dess, G.,G., Lumpkin, G.,T., Taylor, M. L., Strategic Management:Text and cases. McGrawHill/Irwin, New York, 2004.
- Dutta, D. K., Crossan, M. M., The nature of entrepreneurial opportunities: Understanding the process using the “4I” organizational learning framework, “Entrepreneurship Theory &Practice”, No. 29, 2005.
- Ferguson, K., On bringing more theory, more voices, and more politics to the study of organization, “Organization”, No.1, 1994.
- Gartner, W. B., Shaver, K. G., Gatewood, E., Katz, J. A., Finding the entrepreneur in entrepreneurship, “Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice”, No.18, 1994.
- Giddens, A., The constitution of society. University of California Press, Berkeley, 1984.
- Gilovich, T., Griffin, D., Kahneman, D. (eds.), Heuristics and biases: The psychology of intuitive judgment. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2002.
- Gimeno, J., Folta, T. B., Cooper, A. C., Woo, C. Y., Survival of the fittest? Entrepreneurial human capital and the persistence of underperforming firms, “Administrative Science Quarterly”, No. 42, 1997.
- Gioia, D. A., Schultz, M., Corley, K. G., Organizational identity, image, and adaptativeinstability, “Academy of Management Review”, No. 25, 2000.
- Harper, D., Entrepreneurship and market process. Routledge, London, 1996.
- Hebert, R. F., Link, A. N., The entrepreneur: Mainstream views and radical critiques. Praeger, New York, 1988.
- Hitt, M. A., Ireland, R. D. Strategic entrepreneurship, in: M. A. Hitt& R. D. Ireland (eds.), The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management, Vol. III, Entrepreneurship. Blackwell Publishing; pp. 228-230, Malden/Oxford/Carlton, 2005.
- Hitt, M. A., Bierman, L., Shimizu, K., Kochbar, R., Direct and moderating effects of human capital on strategy and performance in professional service firms: A resource-based perspective, “Academy of Management Journal”, No. 44, 2001.
- Hitt, M. A., Ireland, R. D., Camp, S. M., Sexton, D. L., Strategic entrepreneurship: Integrating entrepreneurial and strategic management perspectives, in: M. A. Hitt, R. D. Ireland, S. M. Camp, D. L. Sexton (eds.), Strategic entrepreneurship. Creating a new mindset. Blackwell, pp. 1-16, Oxford/Malden, 2002.
- Ireland, R. D., Hitt, M. A., Sirmon, D. G., A model of strategic entrepreneurship: The construct and its dimensions, “Journal of Management”, No. 29, 2003.
- Ireland, R. D., Hoskisson, R. E., Hitt, M. A., Understanding business strategy. Concepts and cases. Thompson/ South-Western, Mason, 2006.
- Janney, J. J., Real options reasoning and the formation of entrepreneurial spirit. Paper presented at the annual conference of the American Academy of Management, Honolulu, 2005.
- Jenkins, M., Johnson, G., Entrepreneurial intentions and outcomes: A comparative causal mapping study, “Journal of Management Studies”, 1997, 34 (Special Issue) pp.895-920.
- Keh, H. T., Foo, M. D., Lim, B. C., Opportunity evaluation under risky conditions: The cognitive processes of entrepreneurs, “Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice”, No. 27, 2002.
- Khatri, N., Ng, H. A., The role of intuition in strategic decision making, “Human Relations”, No. 53, 2000.
- Kogut, B., Kulatilaka, N., Real option pricing and organizations: The contingent risks of extended theoretical domains, “Academy of Management Review”, No. 29, 2004.
- Kreiser, P., A revised conceptual model of the firm-level entrepreneurial process. Paper presented at the annual conference of the American Academy of Management, Honolulu, 2005.
- Kuratko, D., Strategic entrepreneurial growth. Harcourt College Publishers, London, 2001.
- Kuratko, D. F., Hornsby, J. S., Goldsby, M. G., Sustaining corporate entrepreneurship: Modeling perceived implementation and outcome comparisons at organizational and individual level, “International Journal of Entrepreneurship & Innovation”, No. 5(2), 2004.
- Leonard-Barton, D., Wellsprings of knowledge: Building and sustaining the sources of innovation. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 1995.
- Linnehan, F., De Carolis, D., Strategic frameworks for understanding employer participation in school-to-work programs, “Strategic Management Journal”, No. 26, 2005.
- Lumpkin, G. T., Lichtenstein, B. B., The role of organizational learning in the opportunity- recognition process, “Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice”, No. 29, 2005.
- March, J. G., The pursuit of organizational intelligence. Blackwell, Malden, 1999.
- McGrath, R. G., Boisot, M., Real option reasoning and the dynamic organization: Strategic insights from the biological analogy, in: R. Peterson & E. Mannix (eds.), Leading and managing people in the dynamic organization. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; pp. 201-226, Makwah, 2003.
- McNamara, G., Moon, H., Bromiley, P., Banking on commitment: Intended and unintended consequences of an organization’s attempt to attenuate irrational commitment, “Academy of Management Journal”, No. 45, 2002.
- Mills, J. H., Making sense of organizational change. Routledge, London/New York, 2003.
- Mintzberg, H., Waters, J. A., Tracking strategy in an entrepreneurial firm. “Academy of Management of Journal”, No. 25, 1982.
- Mitchell, R. K., Busenitz, L., Lant, T., McDougall, P. P., Morse, E. A., Smith, J. B., Toward a theory of entrepreneurial cognition: Rethinking the people side of entrepreneurship research, “Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice”, No. 27, 2002.
- Ocasio, W., Towards an attention-based theory of the firm, “Strategic Management Journal”, No.18, 1997.
- Pentland, B. T., Building process theory with narrative: From description to explanation. “Academy of Management Review”, No.24, 1999.
- Plous, S., The psychology of judgement and decision making. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1993.
- Poole, M. S., Van de Ven, A. H., Dooley, K., Holmes, M. E., Organizational change and innovation process. Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Reuber, A. R., Fisher, R., Understanding the consequences of founder’s experience, “Journal of Small Business Management”, No. 39, 1999.
- Reynolds, P., White, S., The entrepreneurial process: Economic growth, men, women and minorities. Quorum Books, Westport, 1997.
- Sadler-Smith, E., Cognitive style and management of small and medium-sized enterprises, “Organization Studies”, No. 25, 2004.
- Sadler-Smith, E., Shefy, E., The intuitive executive: Understanding and applying “gut feel” in decision-making, “The Academy of Management Executive”, No. 18, 2004.
- Shane, S., A general theory of entrepreneurship. The individual-opportunity nexus. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham/Northampton, 2003.
- Shane, S., Eckhardt, J., The individual-opportunity nexus, in: Z. J. Acs, & D. B. Audretsch(eds.), Handbook of entrepreneurship research. An interdisciplinary survey and introduction. Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 161-191, Boston/Dordrecht/London, 2003.
- Smith, K. G., Cao, Q., Lofstrom, S. M., Dynamic capabilities and the process of structuration. Paper presented at the 24thStrategic Management Society Annual Conference, San Juan, 2004.
- Stanovich, K. E., West, R. F., Individual differences in reasoning: Implications for the rationality debate?, “Behavioral and Brain Sciences”, No. 23, 2000.
- Sternberg, R. J. (ed.), The nature of cognition. MIT Press, Cambridge, 1999.
- Tribo, J. A., Surroca, J., The corporate social and financial performance relationship: What’s the ultimate determinant? Paper presented at the annual conference of the American Academy of Management, Honolulu, 2005.
- Tsoukas, H., The validity of ideographic research explanations, “Academy of Management Review”, No. 14, 1989.
- Warner, M., Witzel, M., Managing in virtual organization. Thomson Learning, London, 2004.
- Weick, K., The collapse of sensemaking in organizations: The Mann Gulch disaster, “Administrative Science Quarterly”, No. 38, 1993.
- Wickham, P. A., Strategic entrepreneurship. A decision-making approach to new venture creation and management. Financial Times/Prentice Hall, Harlow, 2001.
- Wiklund, J., Shepherd, D., Knowledge-based resources, entrepreneurial orientation, and the performance of small and medium-sized businesses, “Strategic Management Journal”, No. 24, 2003.
- Wright, M., Hoskisson, R., Busenitz, R., Dial, J., Entrepreneurial growth through privatization: The upside of management buyouts, “Academy of Management Review”, No. 25, 2000.
- Zajac, E. J., Olsen, C. P., From transaction cost to transactional value analysis: Implications for the study of interorganizational strategies. “Journal of Management Studies”, No. 30, 1993.