Strategic Investment Decision-Making : Communicating the True Meaning of the Real Options Framework to the Board
Once heralded as a revolution in capital budgeting and enthusiastically put forward as a major breakthrough to explore the real value of strategic investment projects, the real options approach seems to be losing momentum. For many senior managers and members of board of directors, ‘real options’ is nothing more than a theoretical-academic construct that is hard to apply in practice. Decision analysis, the multiperiod binomial model and the Black-Scholes and Margrabe formulae are well known but sometimes poorly applied and distrusted. Taking strategic investment opportunities as real options is widely accepted as the right approach, but the mathematical models to evaluate those options are often not understood. For that reason we believe that there still is a need to better communicate the true meaning of real options and of options thinking to senior management and board of directors. The setup of a gradually developing line of communication with the board is illustrated by means of simplified but real applications of the concepts. (original abstract)
- Abdel-Kader, M. G., Dugdale, D., Investment in advanced manufacturing technology: A study of practice in large UK companies, “Management Accounting Research”, 9, 261-284, 1998.
- Accola, W., Assessing risk and uncertainty in new technology investments, “Accounting Horizons”, 8, 19-35, 1994.
- Alkaraan, F., Northcott, D., Strategic capital investment decision-making: A role for emergent analysis tools? A study of practice in large UK manufacturing companies, “The British Accounting Review”, 38, 149-173, 2006.
- Amram, M., Li, F., Perkins, C. A., How Kimberly-Clark uses real options, “Journal of Applied Corporate Finance”, 18, 40-47, 2006.
- Benaroch, M., Kauffman, R. F., A case for using real options pricing analysis to evaluate information technology projects investments, “Information Systems Research”, 10, 70-86, 1999.
- Black, F., Scholes, M., The pricing of options and corporate liabilities, “Journal of Political Economy”, 81, 637-654, 1973.
- Block, S., Are “real options” actually used in the real world?, “The Engineering Economist”, 52, 255-267, 2007.
- Borison, A., Real options analysis: where are the emperor’s clothes?, “Journal of Applied Corporate Finance”, 17, 17-31, 2005.
- Boyle, G., Guthrie, G., Payback without apology, “Accounting and Finance”, 46, 1-10, 2006.
- Burns, R. M., Walker, J., Capital budgeting surveys: the future is now, “Journal of Applied Finance”, 19, 78-90, 2009.
- Busby, J. S., Pitts, C. G. C., Real options in practice: An exploratory survey of how finance officers deal with flexibility in capital appraisal, “Management Accounting Research”, 8, 169-186, 1997.
- Campbell, J. A., Real options analysis of the timing of IS investment decisions, “Information & Management”, 39, 337-344, 2002.
- Copeland, T., Antikarov, V., Real-options: a practitioner’s guide. Thomson Learning South- Western, Mason, 2001.
- Copeland, T., Tufano, P., A real-world way to manage real options, “Harvard Business Review”, 82, 90-99, 2004.
- Coy, P., Exploiting uncertainty: the ‘real options’ revolution in decision making, Business Week, June 7, 118-124, 1999.
- Dixit, A. K., Pindyck, R. S., The options approach to capital investment, “Harvard Business Review”, 73, 105-115, 1995.
- Ferreira, N., Kar, J., Trigeorgis, L., Option games. The key to competing in capital-intensive industries, “Harvard Business Review”, 87, 101-107, 2009.
- Fichman, R. G., Keil, M., Tiwana, A., Beyond Valuation: „Options thinking“ in IT Project Management, “California Management Review”, 47, 74-96, 2005.
- Fischer, S., Call option pricing when the exercise price is uncertain, and the valuation of Index bonds, “Journal of Finance”, 33, 169-176, 1978.
- Graham, J. R., Harvey, C. R., The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field, “Journal of Financial Economics”, 60, 187-243, 2001.
- Hayes, R., Garvin, D., Managing as if tomorrow mattered, “Harvard Business Review”, 71- 79, 1982.
- Huisman, K. J. M., Kort, P. M., Pawlina, G., Thijssen, J. J. J., Strategic investment under uncertainty: A survey of game theoretic real options models, “The Capco Institute Journal of Financial Transformation”, 13, 112-118, 2005.
- Hull, J. C., Options, futures, & other derivatives. Prentice-Hall International, London, 2000.
- Kumar, R. L., Managing risks in IT projects: An options perspective, “Information & Management”, 40, 63-74, 2002.
- Kim, Y. K., Sanders, G. L., Strategic actions in information technology investment based on real option theory, “Decision Support Systems”, 33, 1-11, 2002.
- Luehrman, T. A., Investment opportunities as real options: Getting started on the numbers, “Harvard Business Review”, 51-67, 1998.
- MacDougal, S. L., Pike, R. H., Consider your options: Changes to strategic value during implementation of advanced manufacturing technology, “Omega”, 31, 1-15, 2003.
- Margrabe, W., The value of an option to exchange one asset for another, “Journal of Finance”, 33, 177-186, 1978.
- McDonald, R. L., Derivatives markets. Pearson Education, Boston, 2003.
- McDonald, R. L., The role of real options in capital budgeting: Theory and practice, “Journal of Applied Corporate Finance”, 18, 28-39, 2006.
- Myers, S. C., Determinants of corporate borrowing, “Journal of Financial Economics”, 5, 147-176, 1977.
- Park, C. S, Herath, H. S. B., Exploiting uncertainty – investment opportunities as real options: a new way of thinking in engineering economics, “The Engineering Economist”, 45, 1-36, 2000.
- Perlitz, M., Peske, T., Schrank, R., Real options valuation: The new frontier in R&D project evaluation?, “R&D Management”, 29, 255-269, 1999.
- Pike, R. H., A longitudinal survey on capital budgeting practices, “Journal of Business Finance & Accounting”, 23, 79-92, 1996.
- Ryan, P. A., Ryan, G. P., Capital budgeting practices of the Fortune 1,000: How have things changed, “Journal of Business and Management”, 8, 355-364, 2002.
- Smit, H. T. J., Trigeorgis, L., Valuing infrastructure investment: An option games approach, “California Management Review”, 51, 79-100, 2009.
- Triantis, A., Realizing the potential of real options: Does theory meet practice?, “Journal of Applied Corporate Finance”, 17, 8-16, 2005.