The Dialectic Perspective of Remuneration Strategy
The objective of this paper is the development of a dialectic basis for analyzing contradictions in remuneration policy. The result of the overview of topical literature is the identification of sixteen strategic contradictions in the area of remuneration. Research encompassed 135 Polish organizations, which made possible the verification of assumptions and the identification of remuneration policy contradictions most closely coupled by Polish organizations. Research results demonstrate that relatively few organizations are capable of fully utilizing the potential inherent in reconciling the analyzed contradictions. Such results may prove useful as they may facilitate the more precise understanding of the nature of the remuneration management process as well as the defining of requirements so as to improve them in the future. (original abstract)
- Armstrong, M. and Brown, D. (2005), "Reward Strategies and Trends in the United Kingdom: The Land of Diverse and Pragmatic Dreams," Compensation & Benefits Review, 37(4): 41-53.
- Armstrong, M. and Stephens, T. (2005), Employee Reward Management and Practice, Kogan Page, London.
- Balkin, D.B. and Gomez-Mejia, L.R. (1987), "Toward a contingency Theory of Compensation Strategy," Strategic Management Journal, 8: 169-182.
- Balkin, D.B. and Gomez-Mejia, L.R. (1990), "Matching Compensation and Organizational Strategies," Strategic Management Journal, 11: 153-169.
- "Banking Market in Poland 2010-2012," CEE Banking Series, report by Intelace Research, May 2010.
- Barkema, H.G. and Gomez-Mejia, L.R. (1998), "Managerial Compensation and Firm Performance: A General Research Framework," Academy of Management Journal, 41: 135-145.
- Becker, B. and Gerhart, B. (1996), "The Impact of Human Resource Management on Organizational Performance: Progress and Prospect," Academy of Management Journal, 39: 779-801.
- Benson, J.K. (1977), "Organizations: A Dialectical View," Administrative Science Quarterly, 22: 1-21.
- Boyd, B. and Salamin, A. (2001), "Strategic Reward Systems: A Contingency Model of Pay System Design," Strategic Management Journal, 22: 777-792.
- Bratnicki, M. (2001), Dilemmas and Pitfalls of Contemporary Management, Gnome, Katowice.
- Brown, D. (2010), "Fairness the New Watchword in Rewards," Employee Benefits, p. 20.
- Brown, M., Sturman, M., and Simmering, M. (2003), "Compensation Policy and Organizational Performance: The Efficiency, Operational, and Financial Implications of Pay Levels and Pay Structure," Academy of Management Journal, 46: 752-762.
- Cameron, K.S. (1986), "Effectiveness as Paradox: Consensus and Conflict in Conception of Organizational Effectiveness," Management Science, 32: 539-553.
- Chen, H.M. and Hsieh, Y.H. (2006), "Key Trends of the Total Reward System in the 21st Century," Compensation and Benefits Review, 38(6): 64-71.
- Clegg, S.R, Cunha, J.V, and Cunha, M.M. (2002), "Management Paradoxes: A Relational View," Human Relations, 55: 483-503.
- Colbert, B.A. (2004), "The Complex Resource-Based View: Implications for Theory and Practice in Strategic Human Resource Management," Academy of Management Review, 29: 341-358.
- Davis, J. and Eisenhardt, K.M. (2005), "Complexity, Market Dynamism, and the Strategy of Simple Rules," working paper, Stanford University, Stanford.
- De Wit, B. and Meyer, R. (1998), Strategy. Process, Content, Context: An International Perspective, London, International Thomson Business Press.
- Delery, J.E. and Doty, D.H. (1996), "Modes of Theorizing in Strategic Human Resource Management: Tests of Universalistic, Contingency, and Configurational Performance Predictions," Academy of Management Journal, 39: 802-835.
- Farjoun, M. (2002), "The Dialectics of Institutional Development in Emerging and Turbulent Fields: The History of Pricing Conventions in the On-Line Database Industry", Academy of Management Journal, 45: 848-874.
- Gomez-Mejia, L. (1992), "Structure and Process of Diversification, Compensation Strategy, and Firm Performance," Strategic Management Journal 13: 391-397.
- Gomez-Mejia, L.R. and Balkin, D. (1992), Compensation, Organizational Strategy and Firm Performance, Southwestern Publishing, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Gomez-Mejia, L.R. and Welbourne, T.M. (1988), "Compensation Strategy: An Overview and Future Steps," Human Resource Planning, 11: 173-189.
- Kerr, J. (1985), "Diversification Strategies and Managerial Rewards: An Empirical Study," Academy of Management Journal, 28: 155-179.
- Koontz, H., O'Donnel, C., and Weihrich, H. (1984), Management, McGraw-Hill.
- Lawler, E.E. (1990), Strategic Pay, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, California.
- Lewis, M.W. (2000), "Exploring Paradox: Toward a More Comprehensive Guide," Academy of Management Review, 25: 760-776.
- Marler, J.H., Milkovich, G.T., and Yanadori, Y. (2002), "Organization-Wide Broad Based Incentives: Rational Theory and Evidence," Academy of Management Proceedings.
- Milkovich, G.T. (1988), "A Strategic Perspective To Compensation Management," in Rowland, K. and G. Ferris (Editors), Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, Greenwich, JAI Press.
- Milkovich, G.T. and Newman, J.M. (1990), Compensation, BPI Irwin, U.S.A.
- Montemayor, E.F. (1996), "Congruence between Pay Policy and Competitive Strategy in High-Performing Firms," Journal of Management, 22: 889-908.
- Probst, G. and Raisch, S. (2005), "Organizational Crisis: The Logic of Failure," Academy of Management Executive, 19: 90-105.
- Quinn, R.E. (1988), Beyond Rational Management: Mastering the Paradoxes and Competing Demands of High Performance, San Francisco, Jossey-Bass.
- Seo, M. and Creed, W.E.D. (2002), "Institutional Contradictions, Praxis and Institutional Change: A Dialectical Perspective," Academy of Management Review, 27: 222-247.
- Shrivastava, P., Mitroff, I.I., Miller, D., and Miglani, A. (1988), "Understanding Industrial Crises," Journal of Management Studies, 25(4): 285-303.
- Stroh, L.K., Brett, J.M., Baumann, J.P., and Reilly, A.H. (1996), "Agency Theory and Variable Pay Compensation Strategies," Academy of Management Journal, 39: 751-767.
- Tichy, N.M., Fombrum, C.J., and Devanna, M.A. (1982), "Strategic Human Resource Management," Sloan Management Review, 23(2): 47-61.
- Townley, B. (2002), "Role of Competing Rationalities in Institutional Change," Academy of Management Journal, 45: 163-179.
- Wilson, T.B. (2001), "What's Hot and What's Not: Key Trends in Total Compensation," Compensation and Benefits Management, 17(2): 45-50.