Higher Education and Regional Development - Are There Any Lessons for Poland from UK Experience?
The view that the institution we know as 'University' has a particular role in promoting regional economic development is relatively new. In the UK, the case we are most familiar with and draw on in this paper, the idea of the university as a significant and special player in regional development is a 1990s phenomenon. It is also one that has gathered considerable momentum in recent years both in the UK and elsewhere. The university/regional development nexus also seems to be a somewhat neglected aspect in the literature on post-communist transformation. Our aim in this paper is to review the university/regional development connection from the viewpoint of UK experience but also setting it in a wider context. (fragment of text)
- P. Baty: “Sykes Says Teaching-only Sites will be Second-rate Institutions”. The Times Higher Education Supplement, March 14, 2003
- D. Dornisch: "The Social Embeddedness of Polish Regional Development: Representative Institutions, Path Dependencies, and Network Formation". Paper prepared for the School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES) Conference on Regions in Post-communist Transformation, April 2002
- D. Dornisch. "The Evolution of Post-socialist Projects: Trajectory Shift and Transitional Capacity". Regional Studies, May 2002.
- The Future of Higher Education. Cmnd 6735, HMSO, 2003
- D. Green: “Opinion”. The Guardian (Higher Education Supplement), March 11, 2003.
- J. Keane and J. Allison: "The Intersection of the Learning Region and Local and Regional Economic Development: Analysing the Role of Higher Education". Regional Studies, December 1999.
- R. Levinski: “Opinion”. The Guardian (Higher Education Supplement), February 11, 2003.
- B. Morgan: "Higher Education and Regional Economic Development in Wales: An Opportunity for Demonstrating the Efficacy of Devolution in Economic Development". Regional Studies (Debates and Surveys), February 2002.
- Rocznik statystyczny Województw 2000. GUS. Warszawa 2000, pp. 169-70
- A. Ryan: "Opinion". The Times Higher Education Supplement, March 14, 2003.
- G. Schienstock: "Social Exclusion in the Learning Economy". In: D. Archibugi and Bengt-Ake Lundvall (eds.), The Globalizing Learning Economy. Ch. 9. Oxford University Press, Oxford 2001.
- Scotland's Census 2001: The Registrar General's 2001 Census Report to the Scottish Parliament. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh, 2003.
- P. Scott: "England Should Take its Lessons from Scotland and Wales - not from the US". The Guardian (Education Supplement), February 18, 2003.
- Ch. Swann: “NHS University”. Financial Times, March 10, 2003
- R. Thanki: "How Do We Know the Value of Higher Education to Regional Development?". Regional Studies (Policy Review Section), February 1999.
- T. Tysome: “Half of HE Colleges Set Sight on University status After Rule Change”. The Times Higher Education Supplement, March 14, 2003