2010 | 239 The Mechanism of Functioning of EMU Euro Zone Enlargement - the New Members' Perspective | 67--74
Structural Changes or Possible Exit of Greece from the Eurozone?
In Eurozone countries with a lower level of development, the current disturbances hit important sectors of the economy and have a more negative impact on economic enlargement and employment than in the rest of the Eurozone countries. In this paper we try to evaluate the Greek experience in the Eurozone and highlight the problem of competitiveness, which is related with the lower level of development. Finally, we examine whether and how much the evolving exchange rates contribute to the stability of the economy or, instead, to the aggravation of its imbalances. Finally, the conditions for exit from the crisis are presented, in order for Greece to continue to participate in the Eurozone.(original abstract)
- 1. Annual Publication of the Magazine "Choice": Mechanism of Money. December 2003.
- 2. Garganas, Nicholas C. (2001): "The Future of Europe and EMU". Economic Bulletin. Bank of Greece, Issue 18, December 2001.
- 3. Gikas, Grigorios (2004): "Problems of Competitiveness of Least Developed Member States of the European Union Since Joining the Euro Zone". Proceedings of the 2" International Scientific Conference 'Enlarged Europe and Regional Disparities". Preveza, June 3-4. 2004.
- 4. Hyz, Alina (2001): "Research and Technological Development as a Factor in the Improvement of Competitiveness of Regions". Proceedings of the Is' International Conference "Prospects for the Development of Less-developed Regions of Europe". T.E.I, of Epirus, Preveza, 24-25 May 2001.
- 5. Jovanovic, Miroslav N. (2002): International Economic Integration. Limits and Prospects. Athens, Papazisis Editions.
- 6. Kapopoulos, K., Lazaretou, S. (1997): Monetary Relations, International Banking and Finance. Athens, Papazisis Editions.
- 7. Machlup F. (1979): A History of Thought on Economic Integration. London, Macmillan.
- 8. Monetary Policy 2003-2004. Bank of Greece, March 2004.