Going Green: How the Green Movement Impacts the Bottom Line in the Hospitality Industry
The American Hotel and Lodging Association (AH&LA) has released green guidelines for the hospitality industry. Those guidelines include information on effective energy usage, water conservation and waste management. The purpose of this paper is to analyze the literature to determine if the green movement has impacted the hospitality industry's bottom line. Determining whether or not it is practical for older hotels to refurbish and adhere to the guidelines proposed by the AH&LA's recommendations is something that every property must determine on its own. Properties being built now have the option to create sustainable and efficient properties. However, some choose not to due to the perceived cost increases and the fear that there will be little benefit to their own business in the long run. How do we make being green, greener? (original abstract)
- Alger, Keith. (2006). "Human response to environmental decline at the forest frontier. http://ejournal.nbil.org
- Blanchet, Kevin D. (2008). Sustainability. Vol 1 No. 1 February 2008.
- Campbell, Charlene. Table Magazine. Autumn, 2007.
- Chomitz, K. (2006). At Loggerheads? Agricultural Expansion, Property Reduction And Environment in the Tropical Forests. Washington DC: World Bank.
- Cohen, Maurie, J. "The roots of sustainability science: a tribute to Gilbert F. White. Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy. http://ejournal.nbil.org. Fall 2006. Volume2. Issue 2. http://ejournal.nbil.org
- Core, Patricia. (2007). Food Service Buyer. "Fishing for Answers." Sept. 2007.
- Fiksel, Joseph. (2006). "Sustainability and resilience: toward a systems approach." http://ejournal.nbil.org
- Friedland, Ann and Lawn, John. (2007). Food-Management. October 2007). Food Service Magazine. (2007). March 15, 2007. Foodservice Magazine. February 15, 2008.
- Hinshaw, R. (2006). Living With Nature's Extremes: The Life of Gilbert Fowler White. Boulder: Johnson Books. Hotel Business. December 7, 2007.
- Jeannette, Pat. (2007). Allegheny West Magazine.
- Meyers, N., Mittermeier, R., Mittermeier, C. da Fonscca, G., & Kent, J. (2000). Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorites. Nature 403(6772):853-58. Nations's Restaurant News (November 27, 2006.
- Phillips, Virginia. (2007). Pittsburgh Quarterly, Fall 2007. Restaurants & Institutions. January 2006. Restaurants & Institutions. February 2006. Restaurants & Institutions. October 15, 2007.
- Thorn, Bret. (2007). Culinary Currents. "A Good Catch." November 5, 2007. www.nrm.com