Patterns of trade in a time of crisis - integration of Polish services market within the European Union
In 2009, the gap between EU market integration in goods and in services became smaller not as the result of an upturn in services trade but as a consequence of a tumble in merchandise trade. The services trade was more resilient during recent economic downturn. That was a common characteristic of global, EU, as well as Polish international trade. In contrast, the downward trend in Polish services trade was more sharp than in the EU and that was determined by Polish sector structure of services trade. The results of the analysis also suggest that the size of negative growth of Polish international services flows would be slighter in future considering growing share of more resilient services sectors. And, finally, when analysing the impact of the economic downturn on the Polish services trade, it is important to consider non-conventional forms of services trade. Trade in services related to movement of persons is substantial with regard to credit side and sales through foreign affiliates at debit side. (original abstract)
- WTO, International Trade Statistics 2010.
- UNCTAD, JETRO, International Trade After the Economic Crisis: Challenges and New Opportunities, Chapter 1: Introduction of trade restrictive measures following the financial crisis, 2010.
- Szypulewska-Porczynska A. D., EU internal market for services at times of economic downturn and beyond,(in) вeтовната криза и икономическото развитие, том 1, pp. 202-211, Издателство Наука и икономика, Икономически университет, Варна, 2010.
- Borchert I., Mattoo A., The Crisis-Resilience of Services Trade, WTO, Policy Research Working Paper, 2009 CEA Annual Report 2009-2010, 2010.
- Eurostat, Remittances from the EU down for the first time in 2009, flows to non-EU countries more resilient, "Statistics in Focus", 40/2010.