Corporate Governance after the Financial Crisis : Institutional Investors and the Stewardship Function
Treść / Zawartość
One of the ways in which corporate governance may be improved is through greater engagement by shareholders with the companies in which they invest. The recent financial crisis has provided fresh momentum to calls for greater shareholder activism, with the notion of 'stewardship' gaining greater prominence. In the UK this resulted in the launch of a UK Stewardship Code in July 2010, the first of its kind in the world, targeted at UK-based institutional investors. This paper summarises this code, the reasons behind its development and offers suggestions as to whether or not it is likely to achieve its objectives. (original abstract)
- Ali A., Chen T-Y., Radhakrishnan S. (2007). Corporate Disclosures by Family Firms, "Journal of Accounting and Economics", 44: 238-286.
- Alchian A. A., Demsetz H. (1972). Production, Information Costs and Economic Organization. "American Economic Review", 62: 777-95.
- Baker N. (2009). U.K. Widens Governance Review, Compliance Week, April 22.
- Berle A.A., Means G.G. (1932). The Modern Corporation and Private Property, New York, Macmillan.
- Black, B. S. (1992). Agents Watching Agents: The Promise of Institutional Investor Voice. "UCLA Law Review", 39: 811-893.
- Blair, M. M., Stout, L. A. (1999). A team production theory of corporate law. "Virginia Law Review", 85: 248-328.
- Bricker R., Chandar N. (1998). On Applying Agency Theory in Historical Accounting Research, "Business and Economic History", 27: 486-99.
- Cheffms B. R. (2010). The Stewardship Code's Achilles' Heel, "Modern Law Review", 73: 1004-25.
- Coase R. (1932). The Nature of the Firm. "Economica", 4: 386-405.
- Coase R. (1960). The Problem of Social Cost. "Journal of Law and Economics", 3: 1-44.
- Committee on Corporate Governance. (1998). Final Report (Hampel Report), London: Gee Publishing.
- Committee on the Financial Aspects of Corporate Governance. (1992), Report of the Committee on the Financial Aspects of Corporate Governance (Cadbury Report), London: Gee Publishing.
- Demsetz H., Lehn K. (1985). The structure of corporate ownership: causes and consequences. "Journal of Political Economy", 93: 1155-1177.
- Dewatripont M., Tirole J. (1994). A theory of debt and equity: diversity of securities and manager-shareholder congruence. "Quarterly Journal of Economics", 109: 1085-1124.
- Easterbrook, F. H., Fischel, D. R. (1991). The economic structure of corporate law. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Eisenhardt, K. M. (1989). Agency theory: an assessment and review. "Academy of Management Review", 14: 57-74.
- European Commission, (2010). Corporate governance in financial institutions and remuneration policies. Green Paper. Brussels: COM(2010) 284 final, 2 June.
- European Commission, (2011). the EU corporate governance framework. Green Paper. Brussels, COM(2011) 164 final, 5 April.
- FairPensions, (2010). Stewardship in the Spotlight: UK asset managers' public disclosure practices on voting and engagement, December.
- Fama E. F. (1980). Agency problems and the theory of the firm. "Journal of Political Economy", 88: 288-307.
- Fama E.F., Jensen M.C. (1983). Separation of ownership and control. "Journal of Law and Economics", 26: 301-325.
- Financial Reporting Council. (2008), Combined Code on Corporate Governance, London, June.
- Financial Reporting Council. (2009). 2009 Review of the Combined Code on Corporate Governance: Final Report, London, December.
- Financial Reporting Council. (2010a). The UK Corporate Governance Code, London, May.
- Financial Reporting Council. (20105), The UK Stewardship Code, London, July.
- Financial Reporting Council. (2010c), Implementation of the UK Stewardship Code, London, July.
- Financial Services Authority (2009), The Turner Review: A regulatory response to the global banking crisis, London, March.
- Freeman R. E. (1998). A stakeholder theory of the modern corporation (In:) Clarkson, M. (ed.) The corporation and its stakeholders. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Grossman S. J., Hart O. D. (1980). Takeover bids, the free-rider problem, and the theory of the corporation, "Bell Journal of Economics", 11: 42-64.
- Grossman S. J., Hart O. D. (1988). One share-one vote and the market for corporate control. "Journal of Financial Economics", 20: 175-202.
- Hart O. D., Moore J. (1995). Debt and seniority: an analysis of the role of hard claims in constraining managers, "American Economic Review", 85: 567-585.
- Hart O. D. (1983). The market mechanism as an incentive system, "Bell Journal of Economics", 14: 42-64.
- Heath J. (2009). The Uses and Abuses of Agency Theory, "Business Ethics Quarterly", 19: 497-528
- Higgs, D. (2003), Review of the role and effectiveness of non-executive directors, London: DTI.
- HM Treasury, (2000). The Myners Review of Institutional Investment. Available at: http://archive.treasury.gov.uk/pdf/2000/myners.pdf
- Holderness C.G., Sheehan D.P. (1988). The role of majority shareholders in publicly held corporations. "Journal of Financial Economics", 20: 317-346.
- ICEAW. (1999). Internal Control - Guidance for Directors on the Combined Code. (Turnbull Report). London: Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
- Institutional Shareholders' Committee. (2002). The responsibilities of institutional shareholders and agents - statement of principles. October.
- Institutional Shareholders' Committee. (2009). Code on the Responsibilities of Institutional Investors, November.
- Jensen M.C., Meckling W.H. (1976) Theory of the firm: managerial behaviour, agency costs, and ownership structure. "Journal of Financial Economics", 3: 305-350.
- Jensen M. C., Murphy K. J. (1990). Performance pay and top management incentives. "Journal of Political Economy", 98: 225-264.
- Jensen M. C. (1993). The modern industrial revolution, exit, and the failure of internal control systems. "Journal of Finance", 48: 831-880.
- Johnson S., Boone P., Breach A., Friedman E. (2000). Corporate governance in the Asian financial crisis. "Journal of Financial Economics", 58: 141-186.
- Johnson M. (2010). UK Stewardship code aims to encourage collaboration. "Financial Times", October 6.
- La Porta R., Lopez-de-Salinas F., Shleifer A. (1999). Corporate ownership around the world, "Journal of Finance", 54: 471-517.
- Montagnon P. (2011). Speech delivered at the Council of Institutional Investors Spring Meeting, Washington, D.C., 5 April.
- Available at: http://www.frc.org.uk/corporate/relateddocs.cfm
- Morck R., Shleifer A., Vishny R.W. (1988). Management ownership and market valuation: An empirical analysis. "Journal of Financial Economics", 20: 293-315.
- Murphy J.K. (1985). Corporate performance and managerial remuneration: an empirical analysis. "Journal of Accounting and Economics", 7: 11-42.
- Office for National Statistics, (2010), Share Ownership Survey 2008, 27 January. Available at: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/share0110.pdf
- Plender J. (2011). Many fund managers remain reticent. "Financial Times", March 28.
- Scott M. (2010). The weakest links in the stewardship chain, "Financial Times". October 24.
- Shleifer A., Vishny R.W. (1997). A survey of corporate governance. "Journal of Finance", 52: 737-783.
- Smith R. (2003). Audit Committees Combined Code Guidance (Smith Report). London: Financial Reporting Council.
- Study Group on Directors' Remuneration. (1995). Directors' Remuneration: Report of a Study Group Chaired by Sir Richard Greenbury (Green-bury Report). London: Gee Publishing.
- Sullivan R. (2010). UK seen as model for stewardship guidelines, "Financial Times", August 1.
- Tuch A. F. (2011). Conflicted Gatekeepers: The Volcker Rule and Goldman Sachs. Harvard John M. Olin Center for Law, Economics, and Business Fellows' Discussion Paper No. 37, April 13. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1809271
- United States Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, (2011). Wall Street and the Financial Crisis: Anatomy of a Financial Collapse, Majority and Minority Staff Report, Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs, April 13.
- Available at http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/supporting/201l/PSI_WallStreetCrisis_0 41311.pdf
- Villalonga B., Amit, R. (2006). How do family ownership, control, and management affect firm value?, "Journal of Financial Economics". 80: 385-417.
- Walker D. (2009), A Review of Corporate Governance in UK Banks and Other Financial Industry Entities. Final Recommendations, (Walker Review). London: HM Treasury.
- Available at http://www.hmtreasury.gov.uk/d/walker_review_261109.pdf
- Ward D., Filatotchev I. (2010). Principal-principal agency relationships and the role of external governance: a study of the life insurance sector, "Managerial and Decision Economics", 31: 249-261.
- Williamson O. (1988). Corporate finance and corporate governance. "Journal of Finance", 43: 567-591.
- Woolley P. (2010). Why are financial markets so inefficient and exploitative - and a suggested remedy, (in:) The Future of Finance: The LSE Report.