A Statistical Approach for the Evaluation of the Spirometric Alterations in Workers Exposed to Fiberglass
Treść / Zawartość
In this paper we performed a statistical study on the effects of exposure to fiberglass dusts in a sample of exposed subjects, in comparison to a control sample. Five spirometrie parameters were considered: VC, FVC, FEV1, PEF and FEF25-75. The low sampling number and the lucky of normality in the distributions didn't guarantee valid asymptotic results, therefore a non parametric approach was used. First of all, we performed a comparison between exposed and controls for each spirometrie parameter, successively, for only exposed subjects, a comparison between smokers and not smokers was carried on, in order to evaluate the influence of smoke; moreover a comparison among subjects with different duties has been conducted in order to evaluate the spirometrie alterations due to different exposition. Finally we estimated a logistic regression model to assess the dependence of each dichotomized spirometrie variable from an opportune risk index.(original abstract)
- Abbate C., Micali E., Giorgianni C., Munaò F., Brecciaroli R., Salmaso L., Germano D. (2004): Affective Correlates of Occupational Exposure to Whole-body Vibration. A Case-control Study. "Psychother Psychosom" Nov-Dec, 73 (6).
- Finos L., Pesarin F., Salmaso L. (2003): Test combinati per il controllo della molteplicità mediante procedure di Closed Testing. "Statistica Applicata" 15, 2.
- Kilburn K.H., Powers D., Warshaw R.H. (1992): Pulmonary Effects of Exposure to Fine Fiberglass: Irregular Opacities and Small Airways Obstruction. Br J Ind Med.
- Kleimbaum D.G. (1994): Introduction to Logistic Regression. Springer.
- Montgomery D.C. (2001): Design and Analysis of Experiments. 5th ed., Wiley, New York.
- Pesarin F. (2001): Multivariate Permutation Tests with Applications in Biostatistics. Wiley, Chichester.