Greek Ricochet? : What Drove Poles' Attitudes to the Euro in 2009-2010
We investigate the determinants of support for the euro adoption in Poland by means of logit models, using two unique survey datasets collected in December 2009 and June 2010. Whereas the public support has generally declined over this period, probably against the background of sovereign debt crises in the euro area, this decline was concentrated along some dimensions. Well-informed respondents tend to be significantly more supportive of the common currency than badly-informed ones, both in 2009 and - even more so - in 2010. Political views influence the attitude towards the euro, but they are by no means its main determinant. During the crisis, the conviction of euro being a 'strong, stable currency' has faded; instead, a negative attitude started to result from low income, high age and low economic knowledge. In 2010 a more negative attitude was represented by students, white-collar workers and big city residents. (original abstract)
- Allam M.S., Goerres A. (2008), Adopting the euro in post-communist countries: An analysis of the attitudes toward the single currency, Max-Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, MPIfG Discussion Paper, 08/1, http://www.mpifg.de/pu/mpifg_dp/dp08-l.pdf.
- Banducci S. A., Karp J. A., Loedel, P.H. (2003), The euro, economic interests and multi-level governance: Eximining support for the common currency, European Journal of Political Research, 42(5), 685-703.
- Banducci S.A., Karp J.A., Loedel, P.H. (2009), Economic interests and public support for the euro, Journal of European Public Policy, 16(4), 564-581.
- Borghans L., Golsteyn B.H., Heckman, J.J., Meijers, H. (2009), Gender differences in risk aversion and ambiguity aversion, NBER Working Paper, 14713, http://www.nber.org/papers/wl4713.
- Croson R., Gneezy, U. (2009), Gender differences in preferences, Journal of Economic Literature, 47(2), 1-27.
- del Giovane P., Fabiani S., Sabbatini R. (2008), What's behind "inflation perceptions"? A survey-based analysis of Italian consumers, Terni di discussione, 655, Banca d'ltalia, http://www. bancaditalia.it/pubblicazioni/econo/temidi/td08/td655_08/td655/en_tema_655.pdf.
- European Commission (2002), The euro, one year later, Flash Eurobarometer, 139, http: //ec.europa. eu/public_opinion/flash/fll39_fr.pdf.
- European Commission (2008), Preparing the introduction of the euro - a short handbook, DG ECFIN.
- European Commission (2010), Introducition of the euro in the New Member States, Flash Eurobarometer, 307, http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/flash/fl_307_en.pdf.
- Eurostat (2003), Euro changeover effects, Euro indicators news release, 69, http://epp.eurostat. ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/hicp/documents/Tab/Tab/2-18062003-EN-AP.PDF.
- Gabel M. (1998), Public support for European integration: An empirical test of five theories, The Journal of Politics, 60(2), 333-354.
- Gabel M., Hix S. (2005), Understanding public support for British membership of the single currency, Political Studies, 53(1), 65-81.
- Gartner M. (1997), Who wants the euro - and why? Economic explanations of public attitudes towards a single European currency, Public Choice, 93(4), 487-510.
- Hayo B. (1999), Knowledge and attitude towards European Monetary Union, Journal of Policy Modeling, 21(5), 641-651.
- Hobolt S.B., Leblond P. (2009), Is my crown better than your euro? Exchange rates and public opinion on the European single currency, European Union Politics, 10(2), 202-225.
- Isengard B., Schneider T. (2006), The euro and its perception in the German population, Universifit Flensburg Discussion Paper, 11, http://www.iim.uni-flensburg.de/cms/upload discussionpapers /ll_The_Euro_Isengaard.pdf.
- Jonung L., Conflitti C. (2008), 7s the euro advantageous? Does it foster European feelings? Europeans on the euro after five years, European Economy Economic Papers, 313, European Commission, http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/publications/publicationl2337_en.pdf.
- Jonung L., Vlachos J. (2007), The euro - what's in it for me? An economic analysis of the Swedish euro referendum of 2003, European Economy Economic Papers, European Commission, 296, http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/publications/publicationl0967_en.pdf.
- Jupille J., Leblang D. (2007), Voting for change: calculation, community, and euro referendums, International Organization, 61(4), 763-782.
- Kaltenthaler K.C., Anderson C.J. (2001), Europeans and their money: Explaining public support for the common European currency, European Journal of Political Research, 40(2), 139-170.
- Kosterman R., Feshbach S. (1989), Towards a measure of patriotic and nationalistic attitudes, Political Psychology, 10(2), 257-274.
- Ministry of Finance (2010), Strategic guidelines for the National Euro Changeover Plan, Ministry of Finance of Poland, http://www.mf.gov.pl/_files_/euro_in_poland/strategic_guidelines_for the_national_euro_changeover_plan_2010.pdf.
- Müller-Peters A. (1998), The significance of national pride and national identity to the attitude! toward the single European currency: A Europe-wide comparison, Journal of Economic Psychology, 19(5), 701-719.
- NBP (2004), Raport na temat korzyści i kosztów przystqpienia Polski do strefy euro, Narodowy Bank Polski, Warszawa, http://www.nbp.pl/publikacje/o_euro/korzysci_euro_2004.pdf.
- NBP (2009), Report on full membership of the Republic of Poland in the third stage of the EMU, National Bank of Poland, Warsaw, http://www.nbp.pl/en/publikacje/e_a/euro_report.pdf.
- van Everdingen Y.M., van Raaij W.F. (1998): The Dutch people and the euro: A structural equations analysis relating national identity and economic expectations to attitude towards the euro, journal of Economic Psychology, 19(5), 721-740.
- Walstad W.B. (1997), The effect of economic knowledge on public opinion of economic issues, Journal of Economic Education, Summer, 195-205.
- Woolridge J.W. (2002), Econometric analysis of cross section and panel data, MIT Press, London, Cambridge MA.