Used-Up Electrical and Electronic Equipment Charges as a New Type of Poland's Product Related Charges
The introduction of a used-up electrical and electronic equipment charge in Poland is a move to further enlarge the acknowledged range of products harmful to the environment which are subject to a charge. It also constitutes an element of modification of the applicable system - the Environment Ministry plans further changes in the years to come. This is a step in the right direction. The challenge to reduce the ever bulging volume of waste generated by the high consumption of numerous environmentally harmful products, especially during the post-usage stage is a daunting one. One must look critically, however, at the fact that Poland continues to witness the strengthening of a product charge differing from the classic product charge (charge on final product); this is rather a charge in the form of sanctions - called charges for failing to meet recovery and recycling targets. (fragment of original text)
- Analiza kosztów odzysku i recyklingu odpadów poużytkowych w aspekcie stawek opłat produktowych i opłat recyklingowych oraz wymaganych poziomów odzysku i recyklingu w perspektywie do 2010 roku [Analysis of the costs of recovery and recycling of post-usage waste in terms of product and recycling charges and required recovery and recycling levels until 2010] (2006) Akademia Ekonomiczna, Katedra Polityki Przemysłowej i Ekologicznej. Commissionen by the Ministry of Environment - NFOŚiGW. Kraków, listopad.
- Ordinance of the Environment Minister re levels of registration and annual fees dated 19 January 2006. Official Journal 2006, No 180, item 1495.
- Ordinance of the Environment Minister re detailed product rates for equipment dated 25 January 2006. Official Journal 2006, No 19, item 152.
- "Entrepreneurs' Obligations in Respect of Management of a Certain Waste and Product Charge and Deposit Fee Act" dated 11 May 2001. Official Journal 2001, No 63, item 639 as amended.
- "Freedom to Pursue Economic Activity Act" dated 2 July 2004. Official Journal 2004, No 173, item 1807 as amended.
- "Charges Act" dated 27 April 2001. Official Journal 2001, No 62, item 628 as amended.
- "Used-up Electrical and Electronic Equipment Act" dated 29 July 2005. Official Journal 2005, No 180, item 1495.