Global Financial Crisis and Greek Debt Crisis
This paper presents the causes of the global financial crisis and critically discusses the Greek debt crisis. We argue that the crisis is the result of deterioration of Greek macroeconomic characteristics to levels inconsistent with long-term EMU participation. We also argue that without extensive structural reforms the sustainability of the European Monetary Union is in question. We suggest that the European leaders should take initiatives to create mechanisms to address the debt crisis, to improve surveillance for the implementation of fiscal rules and to strengthen economic cooperation between countries in order to raise funds that may cover the short-term needs of countries facing sovereign debt crisis. (original abstract)
- Bank of Greece (2011) Monetary Policy - Interim Report 2011, November.
- Blanchard, 01. and Fr. Giavazzi (2002) "Current Account Deficits in the Euro Area. The End of the Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle?". Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 33, No 2.
- Caballero, Ricardo and Arvind Krishnamurthy (2009) "Global Imbalances and Financial Fragility". American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, May.
- Cottarelli, C, M. Kumar et al. (2009) "Fiscal Rules: Anchoring Expectations for Sustainable Public Finances". IMF, Policy Paper.
- De Grauwe, P. (2011) "The governance of a fragile eurozone", CEPS, April.
- European Commission (2009) European Economy: Public Finances in EMU 2009.
- European Commission, Special Issue: "The impact of the global crisis on competitiveness and current account divergences in the euro area". Quarterly report on the euro area, 9, No 1, 2010.
- Garcia, C, J. Restrepo and E. Janner (2011) "Fiscal Rules in a Volatile World: A Welfare-Based Approach". IMF, Working Paper, WP/11/56.
- Gikas, Gr. (2004) "Competitiveness problems of less developed Member Countries of the European Union by joining the Euro Zone", 2° International Scientific Conference "Enlarged Europe and Regional Disparities", Prcveza, June 3 4, 2004.
- Hyz, A. (2001) Research and Technological Development as Factors for Improving the Competitiveness of Regions. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference "The growth prospects of the less developed regions of Europe". T.E.I, of Epirus, Preveza, 24 25 May 2001.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. and Carmen M. Reinhart. (1999) "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance of Payments Problems", American Economic Review, Vol. 89.
- Kazakos, P. (2010) From the unfinished modernization to the crisis, 1993 2010. Athens, Patakis.
- Krugman, P., (2009) The 2008 crisis and the return of the economic recession. Kastaniotis, Athens.
- Maravalle, Aless. and Peter Claeys, "Variable Tax Policy and Current Account Volatility in EMU", Paper presented in the Workshop of "External Imbalances and Public Finances in the EU", organised by the European Commission, Brussels 27.11.2009
- Obstfeld, Maurice and Kenneth Rogoff (2009) "Global Imbalances and the Financial Crisis: Products of Common Causes". Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco Asia Economic Policy Conference, Santa Barbara, October 2.
- OECD (2010), Economic Outlook, 2010/2.
- Provopoulos, G., Bank of Greece Governor. A Preface to "Current Account of Greece: Causes of Imbalances and policy proposals", edited by Economou, G., Sabethai, I., Symigiannis, G., Bank of Greece, July 2010, Athens.
- Ruscher, E. and G.B. Wolff (2009) "External rebalancing is not just an exporters' story: real exchange rates, the non-tradable sector and the euro". European Economy, Economic Papers 375.
- Sapir, A. (2009) "The Optimal Currency Area Theory", Panel statement in ECB's "The euro at ten - lessons and challenges". September.
- Wolf, M. (2011) "There is no sunlit future for the euro", Financial Times, 19 October.