Impact of EU ETS on Sustainable Development of its Participants in Latvia
Latvia is covered by the European Union Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) and therein 80 participants from Latvia have participated. The goal of the paper is to analyse the impact of the EU ETS on the sustainable development of its participants in Latvia. The concept of sustainable development is explored with respect to both macro and micro scale and in the context of sustainable development the EU ETS is described. The impact of the EU ETS on its participants in Latvia is considered by means of methods of quantitative and qualitative analysis. It has been established that in past the participants of the EU ETS from Latvia had generally beneficial positions in the EU ETS; hence although the EU ETS did not directly promote greenhouse gas emission reductions, it provided opportunities to gain additional profits and many of the EU ETS participants in Latvia made use of them. In addition, certain interrelationships have been identified between the data on the EU ETS participants performing EUA trading and the data on the EU ETS participants not performing EUA trading. It has been concluded that the EU ETS might have contributed towards the sustainable development of its participants in Latvia within its certain dimensions. (original abstract)
- Accounts. (2011). Community Transaction Log, http://ec.europa.eu/environment/ets/account. do?languageCode=en (20.12.2011).
- Allocation/Compliance. (2011). Community Transaction Log, http://ec.europa.eu/ environment/ ets/allocationComplianceMgt.do?languageCode=en (20.12.2011).
- Consolidated version of Directive 2003/87/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 October 2003 Establishing a Scheme for Greenhouse Gas Emission Allowance Trading Within the Community and Amending Council Directive 96/61/EC, OJ L 275, 25.10.2003 [with amendments until 23 April 2009], http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/ LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:2003L0087:20090625:EN:PDF (1.08.2012).
- Council of the European Union (2006, June 26). Renewed EU Sustainable Development Strategyas adopted by the European Council on 15/16 June 2006, http://register.consilium. europa.eu/pdf/en/06/st10/st10917.en06.pdf (1.08.2012).
- Dow Jones Indexes (2007). Dow Jones Sustainability Europe Indexes Guide Book: Version 1.4, from www.sustainability-indexes.com/images/djsi-europe-guidebook_tcm1071-337250. pdf (1.08.2012).
- Eurostat (2009), Sustainable development in the European Union: 2009 monitoring report of the EU sustainable development strategy. Belgium: Eurostat.
- Ilgtspejas indekss 2010 (2010). Supplement to the journals "Diena" and "Dienas Bizness", www.slideshare.net/Ilgtspeja/ilgtspjas-indekss-prskats-2010 (25.08.2012).
- Ilgtspejas indekss 2011 (2011). Supplement to the journals "Diena" and "Dienas Bizness", www.slideshare.net/Ilgtspeja/ilgtspjas-indeksa-prskats-2011 (25.08.2012).
- Ilgtspejas indekss 2012 (2012). Supplement to the journal "IR", www.slideshare.net/Ilgtspeja/ ilgtspjas-indeksa-prskats-2012 (25.08.2012).
- Judgment of the General Court of 22 March 2011 - Republic of Latvia v Commission (Case T-369/07), Official Journal of the European Union, C 139/15, 7.05.2011.
- Kossoy, A. & Guigon, P. (2012). State and Trends of the Carbon Market 2012. Washington: The World Bank.
- Latvian Environment, Geology and Meteorology Centre. National GHG emission quota register- Reports on GHG Emissions prepared by EU ETS operators, www.meteo.lv/public/ SEG_registram.html (20.12.2011).
- Lursoft. Companies registered in Latvia, http://www.lursoft.lv (20.12.2011).
- Point Carbon. EUA OTC Assessment, www.pointcarbon.com/news/ marketdata/euets/forward/ eua/ (20.12.2011).
- Puri, J., Gaye, A., Kurukulasuriya S. & Scott T. (2007). Measuring Human Development. New York: United Nations Development Programme.
- Spangenberg, J.H. (2004, May). Sustainability Beyond Environmentalism: the Missing Dimensions. GoSD Working Paper No. 2.
- Transactions. (2012). Community Transaction Log, http://ec.europa.eu/environment/ets/ transaction. do?languageCode=en (1.03.2012).
- United Nations (1987). Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development:Our Common Future - Transmitted to the General Assembly as an Annex to document A/42/427, UN, www.un-documents.net/ (1.08.2012).
- Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy, Yale University & Center for International Earth Science Information Network, Columbia University. (2012) Environmental PerformanceIndex and Pilot Trend Environmental Performance Index - EPI 2012, http://epi.yale.edu/sites/default/files/downloads/2012-epi-full-report.pdf (1.08.2012).