Human Resources within National Innovation Systems : Some Observations from Six Countries
Approaches to Human Resource management within National Innovation Systems (NIS) in selected countries are described. Albeit there are differences in the solutions used and the context within which these systems operate, some commonalities are observed, indicating that in some areas Best Management Practices exist. It is outlined however, that identification of the uniform platform within which such systems can be examined and compared to one another is fraud with difficulties, as may be a transfer of solution to the context other than that where the use of this solution brought positive results. Furthermore, it is observed that means to operationalize and measure performance of NIS remains an unresolved dilemma. (original abstract)
- ACOA, Fast Forward: An Innovation Guide For Small and Medium Enterprises, ACOA, Fredericton, Canada: ACOA, undated.
- Amabile, T.M. and Grykiewicz, N.D., The Creative Environment Scales: Work Environment Inventory, Creativity Research Journal, Vol. 2, 1989, pp. 231-253.
- Angle, H.L., Psychology and Organizational Innovation, in Van de Ven, A.H., Angel, H. and Poole, M.S. (eds.), Research on the Management of Innovation, Cambridge, MA: Ballinger, 1988, pp. 137-170.
- Arundel, A. and Hollanders, H., Policy Indicators and Targets: Measuring the Impact of Innovation Policies, European Commission, 2005.
- Baker, N.R., Green, S.G. and Bean, A.S., Why R&D Projects Succeed or Fail, Research Management, Vol. 29, No. 6, 1986, pp. 29-34.
- Balzat, M. and Hanusch, H., Recent Trends in the Research on National Innovation Systems, Graz, Austria: Institut fur Volkswirtshaftslehre, Beitrag Nr 254, 2003.
- Balzat, M. and Hanusch, H., Recent Trends in the Research on National Innovation Systems, Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2004, pp. 197-210.
- Barney, J.B. and Griffin, R.W., The Management of Organization: Strategy, Structure, Behavior. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1992.
- Blanke, J., Fiona, P. and Sala-i-Martin, X., The Growth Competitiveness Index: Analyzing Key Underpinnings of Economic Growth, in Global Competitiveness Report of the World Economic Forum (Ch.1.1.), 2003.
- Branen, M.Y., Culture as the Critical Factor in Implementing Innovation, Business Horizons, Vol. 34, No. 6, 1991, pp. 59-67.
- Carneiro, A., How Does Knowledge Management Influence Innovation and Competitiveness? Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2000, pp. 87-98.
- CETCI, European Trend Chart on Innovation: Annual Innovation Policy Trends and Appraisal Report - United States, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil, European Commission, 2006.
- Claver, E., Llopis, J., Garcia, D. and Molina, H., Organizational Culture for Innovation and New Technological Behavior, The Journal of High Technology Management Research, Vol. 9, No. 1, 1998, pp. 55-68.
- Cohen, W.M. and Levinthal, D.A., Absorptive Capacity: A New Perspective on Learning and Innovation, Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 35, 1990, pp. 128-152.
- Cooper R.G., Predevelopment Activities Determine New Product Success, Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 17, 1988, pp. 237-247.
- Dahlman C.J., Technology Strategy in East Asian Developing Countries, Journal of Asian Economics, Vol. 5, No. 4, 1994, pp. 541-572.
- Dessler, G., Cole, N.D. and Sutherland, V.L., Human Resources Management in Development, Toronto, Ontario: Nelson, 2005.
- Dosi, G., Freeman C., Nelson, R., Silverberg, G., Soete, L. Technological Change and Economic Theory, London: Pinter Publishers, 1988.
- Drucker, P. Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles, New York: Harper & Row, 1985.
- EETCI, European Trend Chart on Innovation, in Annual Innovation Policy Trends and Appraisal Report - Spain: European Commission, 2006.
- EIS, European Innovation Scoreboard , Leeds, United Kingdom: Inno-Metrix, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008.
- Fagerberg, J., Technology and International Differences in Growth Rate, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Vol. 3, 1994, pp. 83-200.
- Feldman, S.P., How Organizational Culture Can Affect Innovation, Organizational Dynamics, Vol. 17, Summer, 1988, pp. 57-68.
- Fiol, C.M., Squeezing Harder Doesn't Always Work: Continuing the Search for Consistency in Innovation Research, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 21, No. 4, 1996, pp. 1012-1021.
- FM, Frascati Manual: The Measurement of Scientific and Technological Activities, Paris: OECD, 2002.
- Freeman, C., The National System of Innovation in historical perspective, Cambridge Journal of Economics, Vol. 19, No. 1, 1995, pp. 5-24.
- GETCI, European Trend Chart on Innovation Annual Innovation Policy Trends and Appraisal Report - Germany, European Commission, 2006.
- Hauser, M., Organizational Culture and Innovativeness of Firms - An Integrative View, International Journal of Technology Management, Vol. 16, No. 1/2/3, 1998, pp. 239-255.
- Herbig, P. and Dunphy, S., Culture and Innovation, Cross Cultural Management, Vol. 5, No. 4, 1998, pp. 13-22.
- Heygate, R., Why Are We Building Process Innovation? The McKinsey Quarterly, Issue 2, June 1996, pp. 130-139.
- Hollanders, H. and Esser, F.C., Measuring Innovation Efficiency, an InnoMetrics thematic paper, ProInno Europe - InnoMetrics, 2007.
- Jassawalla, A.R. and Sashittal, H.C., Cultures That Support Product Innovation Successes, Academy of Management Executive, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2002, pp. 42-54.
- Kahn, K.B., Interdepartmental Integration: A Definition with Implications for Product Development Performance, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 13, No. 2, 1996, pp. 137-151.
- Kanter, R.M., The Change Master - Innovation & Entrepreneurship in the American Corporation, New York: Simon & Schuster, 1993.
- Lee, M. and Na, D., Determinants of Technical Success in Product Development When Innovative Radicalness is Considered, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1994, pp. 62-28.
- Lööf, H. and Heshmati, A., On the Relationship between Innovation and Economic Performance, Economics of Innovation and Technological Change, Vol. 15, 2006, pp. 317-344.
- Lundvall, B.A (ed.), National Systems of Innovation: Towards a Theory of Innovation and Interactive Learning, London: Pinter Publishers, 1992.
- Martensen, A., Leadership for Product Development: A Business Excellence Approach, Total Quality Management, Vol.9, No. 4, 1998, pp. 172-176.
- McArthur, J.W. and Sachs, J.D., The Growth Competitiveness Index: Measuring Technological Advancement and the Stages of Development, in the Global Competitiveness Report 2001-2002, New York: Oxford University Press for the World Economic Forum, 2003.
- Nasierowski, W., Some Observations Regarding Composite Indexes of Economic Performance, North-East Decision Sciences Institute Conference, New York (CD Rom version), 2008.
- Nasierowski, W., Mierniki i indeksy innowacyjności, Ekonomika i Organizacja Przedsiębiorstwa, (2) (697), 2008, pp. 19-28.
- Nasierowski, W., Zarządzanie rozwojem techniki: Perspektywa krajowych systemów, Warszawa: Euro Management, Poltext, 1997.
- Nasierowski, W., Assessment of Technical Efficiency of NIS with the Use of DEA, a paper presented at the ICMIT-IEEE Conference, Bangkok, 2008.
- Nasierowski, W. and Arcelus, F., On the Efficiency of National Innovation Systems, Socio Economic Planning Sciences, Vol. 37, No. 3, 2003, pp. 215-234.
- Nasierowski, W. and Arcelus, F., Interrelationships among the Elements of National Innovation Systems: A Statistical Evaluation, European Journal of Operations Research, Vol. 119, No. 2, 1999, pp. 235-253.
- Nelson, R.R. (ed), National Innovation Systems: A Comparative Analysis, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993.
- NETCI, European Trend Chart on Innovation, Annual Innovation Policy Trends and Appraisal Report - Netherlands, European Commission, 2006.
- Nonaka, I. and Takeuchi, H., The Knowledge Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995.
- OECD, Managing National Innovation Systems, Paris: OECD, 1999.
- Ohmae, K., The End of the Nation State - How Regions' States Harness the Prosperity of the Global Economy, New York: Free Press - McMillan, 1993.
- OM, Oslo Manual, OECD Proposed Guidelines for Collecting and Interpreting Technological Innovation Data, Paris: OECD/EuroStat, (KBN 1999), 1999.
- PETCI, European Trend Chart on Innovation (2006), Annual Innovation Policy Trends and Appraisal Report- Poland, European Commission, 2006.
- Porter, M., Clusters and the New Economies of Competition, Harvard Business Review, Nov.-Dec., 1998, pp. 77-90.
- Porter, M., Competitive Advantage of Nations, New York: Free Press, 1990.
- Prajogo, D.I. and Pervaiz, K.A., Relationships between Innovation Stimulus, Innovation Capacity, and Innovation Performance, R&D Management, Vol. 36, No. 5, 2006, pp. 499-512.
- Rogers, M., The Definition and Measurement of Innovation, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, Melbourne: The University of Melbourne, 1998.
- Rutten, R. and Boekema, F., Innovation, Policy and Economic Growth: Theory and Cases, European Planning Studies, Vol. 13, No. 8, 2005, pp. 1131-1136.
- Schibany, A. and Streicher, G., How Not to Compare Innovation Performance: A Critical Assessment of the European Innovation Scoreboard, Vienna: Joanneum Research Institute of Technology and Regional Policy, 2008.
- SETCI, European Trend Chart on Innovation, Annual Innovation Policy Trends and Appraisal Report - Sweden, European Commission, 2006.
- Shariff, N., Emergence and Development of the National Innovation System Concept, Research Policy, Vol. 35, No. 5, 2006, pp. 745-766.
- Spreitzer, G.M., Psychological Empowerment in the Workplace: Dimensions, Measurement, and Validation, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 38, No. 5, 1995, pp. 1442-1465.
- WCY, World Competitiveness Yearbook, Lausanne: IND, 2008.
- Wiig, K.M., Knowledge Management: An Introduction and Perspective, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1997, pp. 6-14.
- Woodman, R.W., Sawyer J.E. and Griffin R.W., Toward a Theory of Organizational Creativity, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 18, No. 2, 1993, pp. 293-321.