Looking at the Link between Leadership, Organizational Learning and the Internationalization Sigmoid
The article aims at pointing out the complex relationship between the leadership of a multinational enterprise (MNE), focus and importance of organizational learning in the context of a successful internationalization process. As the title suggests the paper presents the theoretical scaffold for the correlation between internationalization, MNE's leadership and organizational learning. Leadership's direction and vision from a learning organization perspective is looked as methodical and synthetic theoretical modes which are intersected. The results of such junction bring to the forefront the relationship between the degrees of voluntarism's subscribed to by an MNE's leaders and its impact upon a firm's international performance. The choice of organizational learning modalities are looked at through the ensuing decisions made by respective leaderships and results with regards to internationalization registered at: Mabuchi Motors, eBay, Whirlpool and Interbrew. Prolonging a firm's growth, viability and providing a continuum model for increasing its profits have been and will be the object of debate and research for many decades. Concluding and limitation points are also acknowledged. (original abstract)
- Argyris, C. and D. Schon, Organizational Learning: A Theory of Action Perspective, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1978.
- Beamish, P. W., A. J. Morrison, A. C. Inkpen, and P. M. Rosenzwig, "The Internationalization Process," Chapter 1, in International Management, 5th Ed., New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003, pp. 3-16.
- Beamish, P. W. and J. Lu, "International Diversification and Firm Performance: The S-Curve Hypothesis," Academy of Management Journal, 47(4), 2004, pp. 598-609.
- Beers, M. C., T. H. Davenport, and D. W. Long, "Successful Knowledge Management Projects," Sloan Management Review, 39(2), 1998, pp. 43-57.
- Chiarra, M.,"Success Factors in SME's Internationalization Process: An Italian Investigation," Journal of Small Business Management; 40(2), 2002. pp. 144-153.
- Contractor, F., "Is International Business Good for Companies? The Evolutionary or Multi-Stage Theory on Internationalization vs. The Transaction Cost Perspective," Management International Review, 2007, pp. 453-475.
- Cotae, F.-F., "Internationalization Sigmoid," paper presented at the GCRJ Conference, Las Vegas, 2009.
- Dezutter, A. and C. Boudewijn, "Experiences of Investing in Eastern Europe: A Study of a Multinational Brewing Company," European Business Review, 97(3), 1997, pp. 139-144, from the ABI/INFORM Global Database (retrieved on 20 November 2007).
- Eden, L. and D. Thomas, "What is the Shape of Multinationality-Performance Relationship?", Multinational Business Review, 12(1), 2004, pp. 89-110.
- Fiol, C.M. and M. Lyles, "Organizational Learning," Academy of Management Review, IO: 803, 1985, pp. 8-13.
- Garcia-Canal, E. and C. Lopez-Duarte, "Stock Market Reaction to FDI: Interaction between Entry Mode and FDI Attributes," Management International Review, 47(3), 2007, pp. 393-422.
- Glaum, M. and M-J. Oesterle, "40 Years of Research on Internationalization and Firm Performance: More Questions than Answers?", Management International Review, 47(3), 2007, pp. 307-317.
- Guarriello, M. L., The Management of Leadership, "Hospital Materiel Management Quarterly, 17(3), 1996, pp. 17-21.
- Hemingway, M., A. M. Ryan, and D. Wiechmann, "Designing and Implementing Global Staffing Systems: Part I-Leaders in Global Staffing Systems," Human Resource Management; 42(1), 2003, p. 71, from the ABI/INFORM Global Database (retrieved on 20 November 2007).
- Hennart, J-F., "The Theoretical Rationale for a Multinationality and Performance Relationship," Management International Review, 47(3), 2007, pp. 423-443.
- Hennart, J-F., "The Theories of Multinational Enterprises,' in A. Rugman, A. and T. Brewer, eds., The Oxford Handbook of International Business, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001, pp. 127-149.
- Hollensen, S., "Global Marketing in the Firm," Chapter 1, Global Marketing, Essex: Pearson Education, 2007, pp. 5-16.
- Kalantaridis, C.,"Internationalization, Strategic Behavior, and the Small Firm: A Comparative Investigation," Journal of Small Business Management, 42(3), 2004, pp. 245-262, from the ABI/INFORM Global Database (retrieved on 20 November 2007).
- Kotter, J. P., "What Leaders Really Do", Harvard Business Review, 68, 1990, pp. 103-111.
- Kouzes, J. and B. Posner, The Leadership Challenge, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1987, pp. 5-9.
- Johanson, J. and J. E. Vahlne, "The Internationalization Process of the Firm: A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, 8(1), 1977, pp. 23-32.
- Johanson, J. and J. E. Vahlne, "The Mechanism of Internationalization," International Marketing Review, 7(4), 1990, pp. 11-24.
- Menezes, I. and I. Ronkainen, "Implementing Global Marketing Strategy: An Interview with Whirlpool Corporation," International Marketing Review, 13(3), 1996, pp. 56-63, from the ABI/INFORM Global Database (retrieved on 18 December 2007).
- Miller, D., "A Preliminary Typology of Organizational Learning: Synthesizing the Literature," Journal of Management, Vol. 22, 1996, pp. 485-490.
- Riahi-Belkaoui, A., "The Effects of the Degree of Internationalization on Firm Performance," International Business Review, 7(3), 1998, pp. 315-321.
- Sullivan, D., "Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, 25(2), 1994, pp. 325-342.
- Tallman, S. and J. Li, "Effects of International Diversity and Product Diversity on the Performance of Multinational Firms," Academy of Management Journal, 39(1), 1996, pp. 179-196.
- Zaleznik, A., "The Leadership Gap," The Executive, 4, 1990, pp. 7-22.