Gender, Globalization and Ethics in Public Healthcare System : the Challenges of Nurses-managers in Engaging Moral Dilemmas
The study aimed at shedding light on women nurses-mangers' experiences of ethical dilemmas in the era of dual concerns: free-market based health care policy and an increasing emphasis on professional ethical responsibility. The research focused on nurses-managers' experiences of daily practice. It examined the role of gender and of globalization culture in nurses' construal of these experiences and their actual responses to ethical issues. The study was based on qualitative methodology: focus groups and individual interviews. The findings revealed a great deal of moral dilemmas faced by nurses-managers, most caused by the free-market culture - greater emphasis on personal responsibility and individualization of risks related - and conflicting professional and gender culture in their relations with physicians. Nurses-managers actively engage some of these dilemmas by means of action-focused modes whereas other ethical issues are dealt with through emotion-focused modes. (original abstract)
- Acker, J. (2008) Helpful Men and Feminist Support: More than Double Strangeness. Gender, Work, and Organization, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2008, pp. 288-297.
- Bampton, R. and Maclagan, P. Does a 'care orientation' explain gender differences in ethical decision making? A critical analysis and fresh findings. Business Ethics: A European Review, Vol. 18, No. 2, 2009, p. 179.
- Calas, M. & Smircich, L. Using The 'F' Word: Feminist Theories and the Social Consequences of Organizational Research. In A. Mills and P. Tancred (eds) Gendering Organizational Analysis, 1992, pp. 222-34. London: Sage.
- Dawson, D. Conflicting stories of virtue in UK healthcare: bringing together organisational studies and ethics. Business Ethics: A European Review, Vol. 18, No. 2, 2009, pp. 95-109.
- Derry, R. Ethics of Care. In P.H. Werhane and R.E. Freeman (eds.). Encyclopedic dictionary of business ethics. 1997, Massachusetts: Blackwell.
- Eriksson-Zetterquist, U.& Styhre, A. (2008) Overcoming the Glass Barriers: Reflection and Action in the 'Women to the Top' Programme. Gender, Work and Organization, 15, 2, 134-158.
- Frenkel, M. (2008) Reprogramming femininity? The Construction of Gender Identities in the Israeli Hi-tech Industry between Global and Local Gender Orders. Gender, Work and Organization, 15, 352-374.
- Gephart, R.P., Jr. (2002). Introduction to the brave new workplace: Organizationalbehavior in the electronic age. Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 23, 2002, pp. 327-344.
- Gilligan, C. (1982). In a different voice. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- Kolb, D. & McGinn, K. (2009). Beyond Gender and Negotiation to Gendered Negotiations. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 2, 1, 1-16.
- Kujala, J. & Pietilainen, T. (2004). Female Managers' Ethical Decision-Making: a Multidimensional Approach. Journal of Business Ethics, 53, 153-163.
- Lazarus, R. Stress and emotion: A new synthesis. 1999. New York: Springer Pub. Co.
- Liff, S. & Ward, K. (2001) Distorted Views Through the Glass Ceiling: The Construction of Women's Understandings of Promotion and Senior Management Positions. Gender, Work and Organization, 8, 1, 19-36.
- Lincoln, Y. S. and E.G. Guba 1985 'An exploration of quality in qualitative research' in Naturalistic inquiry. M. Kopala and E. Merrick (eds). Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Lyons, D. (1997). Utilitarianism. In P.H. Werhane and R.E. Freeman (eds.). Encyclopedic dictionary of business ethics. Massachusetts: Blackwell.
- Machan, T.R. (1997). Egoism, psychological egoism and ethical egoism. In P.H. Werhane and R.E. Freeman (eds.). Encyclopedic dictionary of business ethics. Massachusetts: Blackwell.
- MacIntyre. A. (1971). A short history of Ethics. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul Ltd.
- Nielsen, R. P. Introduction to the Special Issue. In Search of Organizational Virtue: Moral Agency in Organizations. Organization Studies, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2006, pp. 317-321.
- Shkedi, A. 2003 Words that try to reach: Qualitative research - theory and practice. TelAviv: Ramot.
- Truong, D. and Gasper, D.. Trans-local Livelihoods and Connections: Embedding a Gender Perspective into Migration Studies. Gender Technology and Development, Vol. 12, 2008, p. 285.