An Assessment of Guest Perceptions of Service Quality in Luxury Hotels in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The purpose of this exploratory study was to investigate and assess guest perceptions of service quality in luxury hotels in Kuala Lumpur (KL), Malaysia. A convenient sample of 463 guests drawn from eleven luxury hotels was used in the analytical stage. Overall, the results clearly indicate significant differences between guests' expectations and their actual experiences, thus highlighting managerial implications. It was recommended that hotel management should identify, prioritize and improve the areas of service flaws and distribute important resources to the most effective areas with a view to increasing guest satisfaction towards the hotel services. (original abstract)
- Aaker, D; Kumar, V; and Day, G. (2004). Marketing Research, 8th Edn.. New York, U.S.A: John Wiley & sons, Inc.
- Akbaba, A. (2006). Measuring Service Quality in the Hotel Industry: A Study in a Business Hotel in Turkey. International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp.170-192.
- Al-alak, B; and Al-taie, H. (2006). Perceived Quality of services provided by hotels in Jordan among foreign guests. Dirasat Journal for Business Research, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp. 210-226.
- Alexandris, K; Dimitriadis, N; and Markata, D. (2002). Can perceptions of Service Quality Predict Behavioral Intentions? An Exploratory Study in the Hotel Sector in Greece. Managing Service Quality, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 224-231.
- Antony, J; F.J. Antony and S. Ghoshi (2004). Evaluating service quality in a UK Hotel Chain: A case study. Int. J. Contemporary Hospitality Manage. No.16, pp. 380.384.
- Asean Tourism Forum Report/32/2010-Malaysian Section. Malaysia, pp. 14-15.
- Baloglu, S; and Peckan, Y. (2006). The Web Design and Internet Site Marketing Practices of Upscale and Luxury Hotels in Turkey. Journal of Tourism Management, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 171-176.
- Berry, L.L; A. Parasuraman and V.A. Zeithaml (1988). The service quality puzzle. Bus Horizons, No. 31, pp. 35-43.
- Berry, L.L; v. Zeithaml and A. Parasuraman (1985). Quality counts in service too. Bus Horizons, No. 28, pp.44-52.
- Bitner, M.J (1995). Building service relationships is all about promises. J. Acad. Marketing Sci., No. 23, pp. 246-251.
- Bitner, M.J. and A.R. Hubbert (1993). Encounter Satisfaction vs. Overall Satsfaction vs. Quality the Customer's Voice. In: Service Quality New Directions in Theory and Practice, Rust, R.T. and R.L. Oliver (Eds.). Sage Publications, Newbury Park, CA. pp. 71-93.
- Brady, M.K. and J.J. Cronin (2001). Some new thoughts on conceptualizing perceived service quality a hierarchical approach. J. Marketing, No. 65, pp. 34-49.
- Briggs, S; Sutherland, J; and Drummonds, S. (2007). Are hotels serving quality? An exploratory study of service quality in the Scottish hotel sector. Tourism Management, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 1006-1019.
- Carmen, J.M. (1990). Consumer perceptions of service quality: an assessment of the SERVQUAL dimensions. J. Retailing, No. 66, pp. 33-55.
- Chapman, R.G. (1979). Pricing policy and the college choice process. Res. Higher Edu., No.10, pp. 37-57.
- Chaterjee, S; Jamieson, L; and Wiseman, F. (1991). Identifying most influential observation in factor analysis. Marketing Science, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 145-160.
- Choi, T; and Chu, R. (2000). Levels of satisfaction among Asian and Western travelers. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 116-132.
- Cronin, J.J. and S.A. Taylor. (1992) Measuring service quality a reexamination and extension. J. marketing., No.56, pp. 55-68.
- Cronin, J.J., M.K. Brady and G.T.M. Hult (2000). Assessing the effects of quality, value and customer satisfaction on consumer behavioral intentions in service environments. J. Retailing, No.76, pp.193-218.
- Dabholkar, P.A; Shephers, C.D, and Thrope, D.I (2000). A Comprehensive Framework for Service Quality: An Investigation of Critical Conceptual and Management Issues through a Longitudinal Study. Journal of Retailing, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp.139-173.
- Darden, W; and Dorsch, M. (1988). Useful component analysis graphical views of marketing data. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 60-73.
- Fournier, S and Mick, D (1999). Rediscovering Satisfaction. Journal of Marketing, 63 (October), pp. 5-23.
- Ghobadian, R.S; Speller, S.M, and Jones, W.R (1994). Service quality concepts and models. International Journal of Quality Management, Vol.11, No.9, pp. 43-66.
- Ghosh, S; and Jiju, A. (2004). Evaluating Service Quality in a UK Hotel Chain: A Case Study. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 380-384.
- Grewal, D; Parasuraman, A and Voss, G (1998). The Role of Price, Performance, and Expectations in Determining Satisfaction in the Service Exchange. Journal of Marketing, Vol. 62, No. 10, pp. 46-61.
- Gronroos, C (1983). Strategic Management and Marketing in the Service Sector. Boston: Marketing Science Institute.
- Hair, J; Anderson, R; Talham, R; and Black, W. (1995). Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings. 4th Edn; Upper Saddle River, NJ, U.S.A: Prentice-Hall Inc.
- Harvey, J (1998). Service Quality: A Tutorial. Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 583-597.
- Hemmasi, M., Graf. L. and Williams, M. (1997). Strategic Planning in health care: Merging two methodologies. Competitiveness Review, Vol. 7, No.2, pp. 38-58.
- Ingram, H. (1996). Classification and Grading of Smaller Hotels, Guesthouses and Bed and Breakfast Accommodation. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 30-34.
- Keating, M; and Harrington, D. (2003). The challenge of implementing quality in the Irish industry. Journal of European Industrial Training, Vol. 27, No. 9, pp. 441-453.
- Kotler, P, and Keller K (2006). Marketing Management, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson / Prentice-Hall.
- Lehtinen, J.R. (1983). Customer oriented service system. Service Management Institute Working Paper, Finland: Helsinki.
- Lockyer, T. (2000). A New Zealand investigation into the factors influencing consumers' selection of business hotel accommodation. Australian Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp.11-20.
- Lockyer, T. (2003). Hotel Cleanliness: how do guests view it? Let's get specific. The International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 279-305.
- Loudon, D; Bitta, D and Albert, J (1993). Consumer Behavior, Singapore: McGraw-Hill.
- Malaysia Travel Information and Travel Guide-Lonely Planet (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/malaysia). Accessed on 29. 7. 2010.
- Malhorta, N. (2002). Basic Marketing Research: Applications to Contemporary issues.; Upper Saddle River, NJ, U.S.A: Prentice-Hall Inc.
- Martilla, J; and James, J. (1997). Importance-performance analysis. Journal of Marketing, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 77-79.
- MIS ASIA, The Home of Enterprise in Asia (http://www.mis-asia.com/news/articles/hos-pitalityindustry-in-malaysia). Accessed on 30.8.2010.
- Mohsin, A. (2003). Service quality assessment of restaurants in Darwin, NT. Australia. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp.23-34.
- Mohsin, A; and Lockyer, T. (2009). Customer perception of service quality in luxury hotels in New Delhi, India: an exploratory study. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp.160-173.
- Mohsin, A; and Ryan, C. (2005). Service quality assessment of 4-star hotels in Darwin, Northern Territory. Australia Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.25-36.
- Mostafa, M (2006). A Comparison of SERVQUAL and I-P Analysis: Measuring and Improving Service Quality in Egyptian Private Universities. Journal of Marketing for Higher Education. Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 83-103.
- National Tourism Organisation (NTOs), speech by Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Ng Yen Yen, January 28, 2010.
- Oliver, R.L (1997). Satisfaction: A Behavioral Perspective on the Customer, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Oliver, R.L. (1994). A Conceptual Model of Service Quality and Service Satisfaction: Compatible Goals, Different Concepts: in Advances in Services Marketing Management, vol.2, ed. T.A. Swartz, D.E.Bowen, and S.W. Brown, (Greenwich, CT: JAI Press), pp. 65-85.
- Pallet, W; Taylor, W; and Jayawardena, C. (2003). People and quality: the case of Delta Hotels. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 349-351.
- Parasuraman, A; Zeithaml, V.A, and Berry, L.L (1994). Reassessment of Expectations as a Comparison Standard in Measuring Service Quality: Implications for Future Research. Journal of Marketing. Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 111-124.
- Parasuraman, A; Zeithaml, V.A., and Berry, L.L. (1988). SERVQUAL: A Multiple-Item Scale for Measuring Consumer Perceptions of Service Quality. Journal of Retailing. Vol. 64, No. 3, pp.12-40.
- Pearson, R; and Wilson, W. (1992). Measuring customer satisfaction: fact or artifact? Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp.61-71.
- Presbury, R; A. Fitzgerald and R. Chapman (2005). Impediments to Improvements in Service Quality in Luxury Hotels. Managing Service Quality. Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 357-373.
- ReportLinker/Malaysia(http://www.reportlinker.com/report_malaysia_"hotel+industry") accessed on 3.7.2010.
- Ryan, C. (1995). Researching Tourist Satisfaction, , London: Routledge.
- Sconlan, L; and McPhail, J. (2000). Forming Service Relationships with Hotel Business Travellers. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 491-513.
- Sheppard, B; Hartwick, J; and Warshaw, p. (1988). The theory of reasoned action. Journal of consumer research, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 325-343.
- Sureshchandar, G.S., Chandrasekharan, R, and Kamalanabhan, T. (2001a). Customer Perceptions of Service Quality: A Critique. Total Quality Management, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 111-124.
- Tsang, N; and Qu, H. (2000). Service quality in China's hotel industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 316-326.
- Zeithaml, V and Bitner, M (2003). Service Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus Across the Firm. 3rd edn. New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin.