The Effefectiveness of Performance Appraisal as a Tool for Enhancing Employee Performance in the Public Health Sector
The paper investigates the effectiveness of the performance appraisal system of the Ghana public health sector using the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital as a case study. A comprehensive conceptual framework for analysing performance appraisal systems was proposed and used as a scaffold for relating the nature of the appraisal system, implementation, and communication, the use of appraisal data and employee perceptions of fairness to the success of the system. The research revealed an appraisal system fraught with major systemic failures that render the appraisal process ineffective and employees highly dissatisfied with the system. (original abstract)
- Armstrong M, (2006) A hand book of HRM Practice, 10th ed. Press London.
- Armstrong, M & Baron A (2004) Managing Performance: Performance management in action CIPD, London.
- Bach, S. 2000.'From Performance Appraisal to Performance Management'. In Bach, S. and Sisson, K. (eds) Personnel Management.
- Baker, J. (1988) Causes of Failure in Performance Appraisal and Supervision. In: Greenwood press, inc. Connecticut, USA.
- Boateng, D (1010) Performance appraisal as a tool for employee development, Unpublished Dissertation, University of Manchester, UK.
- Bowles, M.L., and Coates, G. (1993) Image and substance: The Management of Performance as Rhetoric or Reality? Personnel Review, 22 (2), 3-21.
- BPP Management in Banking (1992) http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid. Accessed: January 2010.
- Bretz, R. D., Milkovich, G. T., & Read, W. (1992). The Current State of Performance Appraisal Research and Practice-Concerns, directions, and Implications. Journal of Management 18:321-352.
- Buah, E.K. (2004) Performance Appraisal in the Ghana Civil Service, Unpublished Dissertation, Balme Library, University of Ghana Legon.
- Burke, Ronald J, and D.S Wilcox (1969) "Characteristics of effective employee performance review and development interview: Replication and extension. "Personnel Psychology 25, PP.291 - 305.
- Cascio, W.F. and Bernardin, H. J.(1981). "Implications of PerformanceAppraisal Litigation for Personnel Decisions." Personnel Psychology 34: 211-226.
- Chen, Q, Wu, D. & Leung, K (2009) Contextual Performance: A new research perspective in Performance appraisal. Online: http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-YJSA200902009.htm Accessed: April 2010.
- Claus, L. and Briscoe, D. (2009), Employee performance management across borders: A review of relevant academic literature. Online, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2008.00237.x/full. Accessed: January 2010.
- Cole, G. (2007) Management Theory and Practice. Thomson Learning, London.
- Daft, R. L. (2006). Organizational Theory and Design, 9th Edition. Mason, OH.: Thomson Southwestern.
- Delpo, A. (2005) The Benefits of a performance evaluation system- The performance appraisal Handbook: Legal and practical rules for managers (online) available from http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/objectIb738cf265EOF13CE/sampleChapter/2/111/259/ (Accessed August 2010).
- Dessler, G. (2000) Human Resource Management, Prentice Hall, 8th edition.
- Ferris et.al. (2004) Comparing the validity of multiple social effectiveness constructs in the prediction of managerial job performance. Online, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com. Accessed December 2010.
- Fisher, M. (1996:15-17) Performance appraisal Building your Team: The Sunday Times Business Skills Series, Kogan Page.
- Gabris, G.T. and Ihrke, D (2001). "Does Performance appraisal Contribute to Heightened Levels of Employee Burnout? The Results of One Study." Public Personnel Management 20:157:172.
- Gordon, M.E. & Steward, L.P. (2009) Conversing about Performance. Online, http://mcq.sagepub.com hosted at http://online.sagepub.com. Accessed: March 2011.
- Govender, V. (2009) Promoting a culture of employee engagement for effective service delivery in the South African Public Service. Online, http://www.emergingresearchersforum.assadpam.net. Accessed December 2010.
- Henderson, R. (1980). Performance Appraisal: Theory to Practice. Virginia: Reston Publishing Company, Inc.
- Hodgetts, R. & Hegar, K. (2008) Modern Human Relations at Work. The Thomson Corporation, Mason, USA.
- Kavanagh, M and Thite, M (2009) Human Resource Information Systems: Basics, Applications and Directions, Sage, Thousand Oaks, California.
- Kurtzberg, T.R., Naquin C.E., & Belkin L.Y. (2005). "Electronic performance appraisals: The effects of e-mail communication on peer rating. Online, http://www4.lehigh.edu/business/faculty/facultyprofile.aspx Accessed: March, 2010.
- Landry, R., M. Lamari, and N. Amara (2003). "The Extent and Determinants of the Utilization of University Research in Government Agencies." Public Administration Review 63 (2): 192-205.
- Latham, G - P., and Wexley, K.N.(1981). Increase in productivity through Performance Appraisal(Reading, M. A. Addison - Wesley).
- Levy, P.E. & Williams, J.R. (2004) The Social Context of Performance Appraisal: A Review and Framework for the Future. Online, http://jom.sagepub.com/content/30/6/881.abstract Accessed: March 2010.
- Mani, B.G. (2002). Performance appraisal systems, Productivity, and Motivation: A Case Study. Public Personnel Management, 31(2), 141-159.
- Mayer, D. M., Bardes, M. & Piccolo, R. F. (2008). Do servant-leaders help satisfy follower needs? An organizational justice perspective. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 17(2), 180-197.
- Mohrman, Allan M. Resnick-West, Sussan M. & Lawler, E Resnick & Lawler (1989) Designing performance appraisal systems: Aligning appraisals and organizational realities. Jossey-Bass Publishers, San Francisco.
- Mullins, L.J. (2005) Management and Organisational Behaviour. Financial Times Management, London.
- Murphy, K.R., and Cleveland, J.N. (1995). Understanding Performance Appraisals: social Organisational and Goal-based Perspectives. California: SAGE Publications.
- Murphy, K.R., and Cleveland, J.N. (1991). Performance Appraisal: An Organizational Perspective. Masschusetts: Allyn and Bacon.
- Noe, R.A., Hollenbeck, J.R., Gerhart, B & Wright, P.M. (2003). Human Resource Management, Gaining A Competitive Advantage (Int. Edition, 4th Edition) : Mcgraw-Hill Higher Education, 1221 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, 10020.
- Ogunyomi, O. (2011) Performance Appraisal: A Key to HR Assessment and Development, and Supervisory Framework on Bank Risk Management in Nigeria. Online, www.papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Jeljour_results.cfm?nxtres...id. Accessed: May 2011.
- Payne, S, Horner M, et al. (2008) Comparison of online and traditional performance appraisal systems. Online: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=1806030&show.
- Payne, S.C., Horner, M. T., Boswell, W. R., Schroeder, A.N., Stine-Cheyne, K.J. (2009). Comparison of online and traditional performance appraisal systems. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 24 (6), 526-544.
- Pulakos, E. (2004) Performance Management: A roadmap for developing, implementing and evaluating performance management systems.
- Prowse, P. & Prowse, J. (2009) The dilemma of performance appraisal. www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid Accessed: June 2010.
- Redman, T., Snape, E., et al (2000). Performance Appraisal an NHS Hospital. Human Resource Management Journal, 10(1). 48-62.
- Robbins & Judge (2009) Organizational Behavior 13th Edition. Online, wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objects/5610/5745291/ppt/ob13_01.ppt. Accessed: June 2010.
- Rosen, C, Harris, K.J. & Kacmar, M. (2011) LMX, Context Perceptions, and Performance: An Uncertainty Management Perspective. http://jom.sagepub.com/content/37/3/819.short. Accessed: March 2011.
- Schuler, S.W (2008) How to Take the Pain out of Performance Management. www.schulersolutions.com/painless_performance_appraisal.html. Accessed: March 2010.
- Smither, J, London, M & Reilly, R (2005) Does Performance Improve following multisource feedback? A theoretical model, meta-analysis, and review of empirical findings. Online, Block all papers.ssrn.com results. Accessed: November 2010.
- Stanton, J.M. (2010) Can Electronic Performance Monitoring Be Fair? Exploring the impact of social cues about an EPM system on performance quality and quantity. Manuscript under review. Online, http//jlo.sagepub.com/content/10/2/2.refs. Accessed February 2011.
- To, T. (2007),"Quality performance Appraisal for library staff" In proceedings of the international conference. The Chinese University of Hong Kong, April 11 - 12, 2007.
- Tyler, K (2005) Performance Art, human resource magazine, Vol. 50, Issue 8; pg. 58.
- Tznier, A, Joanis, C.,& Murphy, K (2000). A comparison of three methods of performance appraisal with regard to goal properties, goal perceptions, and rate satisfaction. Gunp and Organisational Management, 25, 175 - 190).