Investor protection and disclosure. Quantitative evidence
The paper surveys research in the area of measuring the level of accounting disclosure and of exploring various issues associated with accounting disclosure. In particular, the ques-tion of how the disclosure is connected to investor protection is investigated. This issue is shown in the context of the countries' legal systems and in the relation to corporate govern-ance. New results presented in the paper include composition and application of Polish Corpo-rate Disclosure Index (PCDI). PCDI has been evaluated for 48 companies listed on Warsaw Stock Exchange for the years 2005, 2006 and 2007. Subsequently PCDI was used as the re-gressor variable in a number of models explaining various investor protection measures. The outcome of this research is that PCDI is significantly associated with the variables represent-ing investor protection. Higher values of PCDI are linked with the lower variability of stock prices, with the better the category of auditor as well as with the better management and the better perception of the company by the market. (original abstract)
- Adams C. A., N. Kuasirikun (2000), A comparative analysis of corporate reporting on ethical issues by UK and German chemical and pharmaceutical companies, The European Accounting Review 9 (1): 53-79.
- Ahmad-Zaluki N.A.A., W.N Wan-Hussin, Corporate governance and earnings forecasts accuracy, Asian Review of Accounting, Vol. 18, No. 1, s. 50-67.
- Arping S., Z. Sautner (2010), The effect of corporate governance regulation on transparency: evidence from the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1561619.
- Ben Ali C., I. Latrous (2009), Disclosure quality and corporate governance in a context of controlling vs. minor-ity shareholder agency conflict, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1328424.
- Beekes W., P.R. Brown, G. Chin (2007), Do better-governed firms make more informative disclosures? Cana-dian evidence, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=881062.
- Beuselinck C., M. Deloof, C. Manigart (2008), Private equity investments and disclosure policy, European Ac-counting Review, vol. 17 no. 4., pp. 607-639.
- Bushman R., J. Piotroski, A. Smith (2004), What determines corporate transparency?, Journal of Accounting Re-search, 42 (2): 207-252.
- CIFAR: Center for International Financial Analysis and Research (1995), Global company handbook: 3rd edi-tion, Princeton, N.J., CIFAR Publications Inc.
- Chong A. F. Lopez-de-Silanes (2007), Investor protection and corporate governance. Firm-Level Evidence Across Latin America, Stanford University Press.
- Daines R., I.D. Gow, D.F. Larcker (2009), Rating the ratings: How good are commercial governance ratings? Rock Center for Corporate Governance at Stanford University Working Paper, No. 1.
- Dhalival D.S., O. Z. Li, A.H. Tsang, Y.G. Yang (2009), Voluntary non-financial disclosure and the cost of eq-uity capital: the case of corporate social responsibility reporting, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1343453.
- Francis J.R., I.K. Khurana, R. Pereira (2001), Investor protection laws, accounting and auditing around the world, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=287652 or doi:10.2139/ssrn.287652.
- Goto S., M. Watanabe, Y. Xu (2009), Strategic disclosure and stock returns: theory and evidence from US cross-listing, Review of Financial Studies, 22(4):1585-1620.
- Gruszczyński M. (2008), Corporate governance ratings and the performance of listed companies in Poland, Przegląd Statystyczny, no. 1/2008, s.113-129.
- Grüning M. (2009), Computerised measurement of corporate disclosure, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1440255.
- Healy P. M., K. Palepu (2000), Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure and the capital markets: a review of the empirical disclosure literature, JAE Rochester Conference, April 2000, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=258514 or doi:10.2139/ssrn.258514.
- Holland L., Y. Boon Foo (2003), Differences in environmental reporting practices in the UK and the US: the le-gal and regulatory context, The British Accounting Review, 35, 1-18.
- Hope O.-K. (2003), Firm-level disclosures and the relative roles of culture and legal origin, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=380000 or doi:10.2139/ssrn.380000.
- Huanga P., Y. Zhangb (2008), Does enhanced disclosure really reduce agency costs? Evidence from the value of corporate cash holdings and dividends, China International Conference in Finance, in: http://www.ccfr.org.cn/cicf2008/download.php?paper=20080114101835.PDF
- La Porta R. F. Lopez-de-Silanes, A. Shleifer, R.W. Vishny (1998), Law and finance, Journal of Political Econ-omy 106, 1113-55.
- La Porta R. F. Lopez-de-Silanes, A. Shleifer, R.W. Vishny (1999), Investor protection and corporate governance, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=183908 or doi:10.2139/ssrn.183908.
- La Porta R. F. Lopez-de-Silanes, A. Shleifer, R.W. Vishny (1999a), Investor protection: origins, consequences, and reform, NBER Working Paper No. 7428.
- Leuz Ch., P.D. Wysocki (2008), Economic consequences of financial reporting and disclosure regulation: A re-view and suggestions for future research, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1105398.
- Lopes A.B., R.C. de Alencar (2008), Disclosure and cost of equity capital in emerging markets: the Brazilian Case, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1099900.
- Luo M.M., Plumlee M. (2008), Voluntary disclosure and dividend policy, in: www.fma.org/Reno/Papers/DIVandAIMR_FMA.pdf.
- Martin R.D. (2000), Going concern uncertainty disclosures and conditions: A comparison of French, German and US practices, Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, Vol 9, No 2: 137-158.
- Newson M., C. Deegan (2002), Global expectations and their association with corporate social disclosure prac-tices in Australia, Singapore and South Korea, The International Journal of Accounting, 37: 183-213.
- Patel S.A., G.S. Dallas (2002), Transparency and disclosure: overview of methodology and study results - United States, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=422800.
- Renders A., A. Gaeremynck (2005), The impact of legal and voluntary investor protection on the early adoption of IFRS, in SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=744531.
- Roberts C., P. Weetman, P. Gordon (2008), International corporate reporting: A comparative approach, 4th ed., Prentice Hall.
- Shleifer A., D. Wolfenzon (2000), Investor protection and equity markets, Harvard Institute of Economic Re-search Paper No. 1906 and NBER Working Paper No. 7974.
- Stulz R.M. (2008), Securities laws, disclosure and national capital markets in the age of financial globalization, NBER Working Paper no. 14218.
- Wpływ zakresu ujawnianych informacji na poprawę ochrony inwestorów oraz pozycje konkurencyjną emitentów papierów wartościowych [The influence of disclosures on investor protection and competitive position of li-sted companies] (2010), ed. by G. Świderska, Warsaw School of Economics, Warszawa.