Informed and uninformed trading in the EUR/PLN spot market
This paper examines an intraday activity of bank trading of the EUR/PLN currency pair via the Reuters Dealing 3000 Spot Matching System in 2007. On the grounds of the sequential trade model of Easley, Engle, O'Hara & Wu (2008), we can differentiate between the time-varying patterns for the strategic behavior of informed and uninformed (liquidity) traders. We present evidence for the particular hour-of-day seasonality pattern that characterizes the arrival of uninformed and informed trades. The conditional arrival rates for both trader categories enable the assessment of their interactions and are used to forecast a time-varying probability of informed trading (PIN). The predictions of PIN are used to test the impact of information heterogeneity on the instantaneous liquidity of the market, which isproxied by the bid-ask spread and the market depth. (original abstract)
- Admati, A. & P. Pfleiderer (1988): A Theory of Intra-Day Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, 1, 3-40.
- Ahn, H., J. Cai, Y. Hamao, & R. Ho (2002): "The Components of the Bid-Ask Spread in a Limit Order Market: Evidence from the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Empirical Finance, 9, 399-430.
- Amihud, Y. & H. Mendelson (1980): "Dealership Markets: Market Making with Inventory," Journal of Financial Economics, 8, 31-53.
- Angel, J. (1994): "Limit versus Market Orders,"Working paper, Georgetown University.
- Angelidis, T. & A. Benos (2005): "Liquidity Adjusted Value-at-Risk Based on the Components of the Bid-Ask Spread," Applied Financial Economics, 16, 835-851.
- Bagehot, W. (1971): "The Only Game in Town," Financial Analysts Journal, 27, 12-14, 22.
- Bauwens, L. & P. Giot (2000): "The Logarithmic ACD Model: An Application to the Bid/Ask Quote Process of two NYSE Stocks,"Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, 60, 117-149.
- Bauwens, L. & D. Veredas (2004): "The Stochastic Conditional Duration Model: A Latent Factor Model for the Analysis of Financial Durations," Journal of Econometrics.
- Bauwens, L., P. Giot, J. Grammig, & D. Veredas (2004): "A Comparison of Financial Duration Models via Density Forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, 20, 589-609.
- Benos, E. & M. Jochec (2007): "Testing the PIN Variable," University of Illinois.
- Biais, B. (1993): "Price Formation and Equilibrium Liquidity in Fragmented and Centralized Markets," Journal of Finance, 48, 157-85.
- Bjonnes, G., C. Osler, & D. Rime (2008): "Asymmetric Information in the Interbank Foreign Exchange Market," Working Paper, available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstarct=1102202.
- Black, F. (1971): "Toward a Fully Automated Stock Exchange, Part I," Financial Analysts Journal, 27, 29-44.
- Bloomfeld, R., M. O'Hara, & G. Saar (2005): "The 'Make or Take' Decision in an Electronic Market: Evidence on an Evolution of Liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, 75, 165-199.
- Boehmer, E., J. Grammig, & E. Theissen (2007): "Estimating the Probability of Informed Trading - Does Trade Misclassification Matter?" Journal of Financial Markets, 10, 26-47.
- Breedon, F. & P. Vitale (2010): "An Empirical Study of Portfolio-Balance and Information Effects of Order Flow on Exchange Rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, 29, 504-524.
- Brockman, P. & D. Y. Chung (1998): "Inter- and Intra-day Liquidity Patterns on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 8, 279-300
- Brockman P., Chung D.Y. (1999): "An Analysis of Depth Behavior in an Electronic, Order-Driven Environment," Journal of Banking and Finance, 23, 1861-1886.
- Brockman, P. & D. Y. Chung (2000): "Informed and Uniformed Trading in an Electronic Market-Driven Environment," The Financial Review, 35, 125-146.
- Chan, Y. (2000): "The Price Impact of Trading on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," Journal of Financial Markets, 3, 1-16.
- Chen, S. (2000): "Probability Density Function Estimation Using Gamma Kernels," Annals of Institute of Statistical Mathematics, 52, 471-480.
- de Jong, F. & B. Rindi (2009): The Microstructure of Financial Markets, Cambridge.
- Demsetz, H. (1968): "The Cost of Transacting," Quarterly Journal of Economics, 82, 33-53.
- Easley, D. & M. O'Hara (1987): "Price, Trade and Information in Securities Markets," Journal of Financial Economics, 19, 69-90.
- Easley, D., N. Kiefer, M. O'Hara, & J. Paperman (1996): "Liquidity, Information and Infrequently Traded Stocks," Journal of Finance, 51, 1405-1436.
- Easley, D., M. O'Hara, & G. Saar (2001): "How Stock Splits Affect Trading: A Microstructure Approach," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 36, 25- 51.
- Easley, D., R. Engle, M. O'Hara, & L. Wu (2008): "Time-Varying Arrival Rates of Informed and Uninformed Trades," Journal of Financial Econometrics, 6, 171-207.
- Engle, R. F. & J. R. Russell (1998): "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, 66, 1127-1162.
- Evans, M. D. & R. K. Lyons (2002a): "Informational Integration and FX Trading," Journal of International Money and Finance, 21, 807-831
- Evans, M. D. & R. K. Lyons (2002b): "Order Flow and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, 110, 170-180.
- Evans, M. D. & R. K. Lyons (2007): "Exchange Rate Fundamentals and Order Flow,"NBER Working Paper, No 13151.
- Foster, D. F. & S. Viswanathan (1993a): "A Theory of Interday Variations in Trading Volume, Variance, and Trading Costs in Securities Markets,"Review of Financial Studies, 3, 593-624.
- F.D. Foster, S. Viswanathan (1993b): "Variations in Trading Volume, Return Volatility, and Trading Costs: Evidence on Recent Price Formation Models," Journal of Finance, 48, 187-212.
- Fr¨ommel, M., N. Kiss, & K. Pint´er (2010): "Macroeconomic Announcements, Communication and Order Flow on the Hungarian Foreign Exchange Market," International Journal of Finance & Economics, forthcoming.
- Gen¸cay, R. & N. Gradojevic (2008): "Informed Trading in Electronic Foreign Market," Working paper, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, Canada.
- Gen¸cay, R., N. Gradojevic, & F. Sel¸cuk (2007): "When Do Informed Traders Arrive in Foreign Exchange Markets," Working paper, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, Canada.
- Giot, P. & J. Grammig (2006): "How Large is Liquidity Risk in an Automated Auction Market?" Empirical Economics, 30, 867-887.
- Glosten, L. R. (1994): "Is the Electronic Open Limit Order Book Inevitable?" The Journal of Finance, 49 (4), 1127-1161.
- Glosten, L. R. & P. R. Milgrom (1985): "Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders," Journal of Financial Economics, 14, 71-100.
- Grammig, J. & K.-O. Maurer (2000): "Non-Monotonic Hazard Functions and the Autoregressive Conditional Duration Model," Econometrics Journal, 3, 16-38.
- Harris, L. E. (1998): "Optimal Order Submission Strategies in Some Stylized Trading Problems," Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments, 7, 149-178.
- Heflin, F., K. Shaw, & J. Wild (2007): "Disclosure Policy and Intraday Spread Patterns," The Review of Accounting and Finance, 6, 285-303.
- Ho, T. & H. Stoll (1981): "Optimal Dealer Pricing Under Transactions and Return Uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, 9, 47-73
- Ho T.S.Y., Stoll H.R. (1983): "The Dynamics of Dealer Markets under Competition," Journal of Finance, 38, 218-231.
- Kokot, S., ed. (2004): The Economterics of Sequential Trade Models, Springer, Berlin.
- Kyle, A. (1985): "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading,"Econometrica, 22, 477-498.
- Lee, C. M. C. & M. J. Ready (1991): "Inferring Trade Direction from Intraday Data," Journal of Finance, 46, 733-746.
- Lyons, R. K. (1995): "Tests of Microstructural Hypothesis in the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Financial Economics, 39, 321-351.
- Lyons, R. K. (1997): "A Simultaneous Trade Model of the Foreign Exchange Hot Potato," Journal of International Economics, 42, 275-298.
- Manganelli, S. (2005): "Duration, Volume and Volatility Impact of Trades," Journal of Financial Markets, 8, 377-399.
- McInish, T. & R. A. Wood (1992): "An Analysis of Intraday Patterns in Bid/Ask Spreads for NYSE Stocks," Journal of Finance, 47, 753-764.
- Menkoff, L., C. Osler, & M. Schmeling (2010): "Limit-order Submission Strategies under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Banking and Finance, 34, 2665-2677.
- Nolte, I. (2008): "Modeling a Multivariate Transaction Process," Journal of Financial Econometrics, 6, 143-170.
- Nyholm, K. (2002): "Estimating the Probability of Informed Trading," The Journal of Financial Research, 25, 485-505
- Nyholm, K. (2003): "Inferring the Private Information Content of Trades: A Regime Switching Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, 18, 457-470.
- Payne, R. (2003): "Informed Trade in Spot Foreign Exchange Markets: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Economics, 61, 307-329.
- Reza, S. & C. Wilson (2007): "Does Corporate Ownership Impact the Probability of Informed Trading?" International Journal of Business Research, 7, 188-210.
- Rime, D., L. Sarno, & E. Sojli (2010): "Exchange Rate Forecasting, Order Flow and Macroeconomic Information," Journal of International Economics, 80, 72-88.
- Sarno, L. & M. Taylor (2001): "The Microstructure of the Foreign-Exchange Market: A Selective Survey of the Literature," Princeton Studies in International Economics, 89, 1-58.
- Scalia, A. (2008): "Is Foreign Exchange Intervention Effective? Some Microanalytical Evidence from the Czech Republic," Journal International Money and Finance, 27, 529-546.
- Seppi, D. J. (1997): "Liquidity Provision with Limit Orders and a Strategic Specialist," Review of Financial Studies, 10, 103-150.
- Stoll, H. (1978): "The Supply of Dealer Services in Securities Markets,"The Journal of Finance, 33, 1133-1151.
- Tsay, R. (2005): Analysis of Financial Time Series, Wiley, New York.
- Vega, C. (2006): "Stock Price Reaction to Public and Private Information," Journal of Financial Economics, 82, 103-133.
- Wong, W., D. Tan, & Y. Tian (2009): "Informed Trading and Liquidity in the Shanghai Stock Exchange," International Review of Financial Analysis, 18, 66-73.