Application of DEA Model with Bootstrap to Evaluation of SMEs Efficiency in the Spanish Textile Industry
The Spanish textile industry underwent an important transformation during the 1990s. To survive under new market conditions, firms had to refocus their competitive strategies towards an increase in productive efficiency or an investment in technological development. The purpose of this paper is to evaluate the technical efficiency in the sample of 66 micro-, small- and medium-sized textile companies that operated in the Spanish region of Catalonia during the 1996-2001 period. Based on the firm-level accounting data we derive efficiency estimates using Data Envelopment Analysis model with bootstrap. The general result of this study shows that firms in the sample are on average relatively highly efficient in their productive process. The bias-corrected efficiency score reaches the 0.817 level and it slightly fluctuates during the period analyzed. (original abstract)
- Al-Shammari M. (1999): Optimization Modelling for Estimating and Enhancing Relative Efficiency with Application to Industrial Companies. "European Journal of Operational Research", Vol. 115, No. 3.
- Banker R.D., Charnes A., Cooper W.W. (1984): Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis. "Management Science", Vol. 30, No. 9.
- Centre of Information about Textile and Clothing Industry - Centro de Información Textil y de la Confección CITYC, http://www.cityc.es/ (10 January 2007).
- Charnes A., Cooper W.W., Rhodes E. (1978): Measuring the Efficiency of Decision Making Units. "European Journal of Operational Research", Vol. 2, No. 6.
- Conover W.J. (1971): Practical Nonparametric Statistics. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Cook W.D., Seiford L.M. (2009): Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) - Thirty Years on. "European Journal of Operational Research", Vol. 192, No. 1.
- Delgado M.A., Fariñas J.C., Ruano S. (2002): Firm Productivity and Export Markets: A Non-Parametric Approach. "Journal of International Economics", Vol. 57, No. 2.
- Dimara E., Pantzios Ch.J., Skuras D., Tsekouras K. (2003): The Impacts of Regulated Notions of Quality on Farm Efficiency: A DEA Application. "European Journal of Operational Research", Vol. 161, No. 2.
- Hill H., Kalijaran K. (1993): Small Enterprise and Firm-level Technical Efficiency in the Indonesian Garment Industry. "Applied Economics", Vol. 25, No. 9.
- Owen G. (2001): Globalisation in Textiles: Corporate Strategy and Competitive Advantage. The Third Annual Pasold Lecture at London School of Economics, http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/MES/pdf/pasold.pdf (15 April 2007).
- Simar L., Wilson P.W. (2000): Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art. "Journal of Productivity Analysis", Vol. 13, No. 1.
- Simar L., Wilson P.W. (1998): Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models. "Management Science", Vol. 44, No. 1.
- Stengg W. (2001): The Textile and Clothing Industry in the EU. A Survey. European Commission, Enterprise Papers No. 2, http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/newsroom/ cf/document.cfm?action=display&doc_id=1856&userservice_id=1&reques t.id=0 (20 February 2008).
- Study on the Competitiveness, Economic Situation and Location of Production in the Textiles and Clothing, Footwear, Leather and Furniture Industries. Vol. 1, Institut Français de la Mode, European Commission, http://ec.europa.eu/ enterprise/textile/documents/ifm_final_report_2007_vol1.pdf (20 February 2008).
- Textile-Clothing Industry 2004/Spain. Practical Guide. CMT España, http://www. esade.edu/pfw_files/cma/GUIAME/home/guiatextilcmt.pdf (10 January 2007).
- Thanassoulis E., Boussofiane A., Dyson R.D. (1996): A Comparison of Data Envelopment Analysis and Ratio Analysis as Tools for Performance Assessment. "Omega", Vol. 24, No. 3.
- Thore S., Kozmetsky G., Phillips F.: (1994): DEA of Financial Statement Data: The U.S. Computer Industry. "Journal of Productivity Analysis", Vol. 5.
- Worthington A.C. (1998): The Application of Mathematical Programming Techniques to Financial Statement Analysis: Australian Gold Production and Exploration. "Australian Journal of Management", Vol. 23, No. 2.
- Zhang A., Zhang Y., Zhao R. (2001): Impact of Ownership and Competition on the Productivity of Chinese Enterprises. "Journal of Comparative Economics", Vol. 29, No. 2.
- Zheka V. (2005): Corporate Governance, Ownership Structure and Corporate Efficiency: The Case of Ukraine. "Managerial and Decision Economics", Vol. 26, No. 7.
- Zhu J. (1996): DEA/AR Analysis of the 1988-1989 Performance of the Nanjing Textile Corporation. "Annals of Operations Research", Vol. 66, No. 5.