Bayesian Analysis of Weak Form Reduced Rank Structure in VEC Models
The concept of cointegration that enables the proper statistical analysis of long-run comovements between unit root processes has been of great interest to numerous economic investigators since it was introduced. However, investigation of short-run comovement between economic time series seems equally important, especially for economic decision-makers. The concept of common features and based on it the idea of two additional reduced rank structure forms in a VEC model (the strong and the weak one) may be of some help. The strong form reduced rank structure (SF) takes place when at least one linear combination of the first differences of the variables exists, which is white noise. However, when this assumption seems too strong, the weaker case can be considered. The weak form appears when the linear combination of first differences adjusted for long-run efects exists, which is white noise. The main focus of this paper is a Bayesian analysis of the VEC models involving the weak form of reduced rank restrictions. After the introduction and discussion of the said Bayesian model, the presented methods will be illustrated by an empirical investigation of the price - wage spiral in the Polish economy. (original abstract)
- Chikuse Y., (2002), Statistics on Special Manifolds, Lecture Notes in Statistics, vol. 174, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Cubadda (2007), A Unifying Framework for Analysing Common Cyclical Features in Cointegrated Time Series, Computional Statistics and Data Analysis 52, 896-906.
- Engle R.F., Kozicki S. (1993), Testing for Common Features, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 11, 369-380.
- Ericsson N.R. (1993), Comment (to the paper Testing for Common Fatures by Engle and Kozicki), Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 11, 380-383.
- Hecq A., Palm F.C., Urbain J.P. (2006), Common Cyclical Features Analysis in VAR Models with Cointegration, Journal of Econometrics 132, 117-141.
- Juselius K. (2007), The Cointegrated VAR Model. Methodology and Applications, Oxford University Press, New York.
- Koop G., León-González R., Strachan R. (2010), Efficient Posterior Simulation for Cointegrated Models with Priors on the Cointegration Space, Econometric Reviews 29, 224-242.
- Strachan R.W., van Dijk H.K., (2007), Bayesian Model Averaging in Vector Autoregressive Processes with an Investigation of Stability of the US Great Ratios and Risk of a Liquidity Trap in the USA, UK and Japan, EI 2007-11, Econometric Institute Report, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Vahid F., Engle R.F.(1993), Common Trends and Common Cycles, Journal of Applied Econometrics 8, 341-360.
- Villani M. (2006), Bayesian Point Estimation of the Cointegration Space, Journal of Econometrics 134, 645-664.
- Wróblewska J. (2010), Modele i metody bayesowskiej analizy kointegracji (Bayesian Models and Methods in the Analysis of Cointegration), (in Polish), Cracow University of Economics, Kraków.