Evolutionary Algorithm with Direct Chromosome Representation in Multi-Criteria Project Scheduling
In recent years project scheduling problems became popular because of their broad real-life applications. In practical situations it is often necessary to use multi-criteria models for the evaluation of feasible schedules. Constraints and objectives in project scheduling are determined by three main issues: time, resource and capital; but few papers consider all of them. In research on project scheduling the most popular is the problem with one objective. There are only few papers that consider the multi-objective project scheduling problem. This paper considers the multi-criteria project scheduling problem. There are three types of criteria used to optimize a project schedule: resource allocation, time allocation and cost allocation. An evolutionary algorithm with direct chromosome representation is used to solve this problem. In this representation a chromosome is a sequence of completion times of each activity. The purpose of this paper is to demonstrate how evolutionary algorithms can be used in multi-criteria project scheduling. The paper begins with an overview of previous literature and problem statement; after that there is direct chromosome representation description and at the end final results. Keywords Project scheduling, multi-criteria analysis, evolutionary algorithms, multi-criteria scheduling. (original abstract)
- British Standards. Guide to Project Management. Nr BS6079-1:2002. BSI, 2002.
- Coello C.A., Romero C.E.M.: Evolutionary Algorithms and Multiple Objective Optimization. In: M. Ehrgott, X. Gandibleux: Multiple Criteria optimization of the Art Annotated Bibliographic Surveys. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002, pp. 277-331.
- Hapke M., Jaszkiewiecz A., Słowiński R.: Interactive Analysis of Multiple-Criteria Project Scheduling Problems. "European Journal of Operational Research" 1998, 107, pp. 315-324.
- Kostrubiec A.: Project Scheduling - Models Review. In: Project Management Engineering. Ed. L. Zawadzka. Gdańsk 2003, pp. 33-52.
- Kostrubiec A.: Project Scheduling Problem Presented in Genetic Algorithm. In: Quantitative and Qualitative Aspects of Management. Ed. L. Zawadzka. Gdańsk 2001, pp. 52-61.
- Leu S.S, Yang C.H.: Ga-based Multicriteria Optimal Model for Construction Scheduling. "Journal of Construction Engineering and Management" 1999, 125(6), pp. 420-427.
- Lova A., Maroto C., Tormos P.: A Multicriteria Heuristic Method to Improve Resource Allocation in Multiproject Scheduling. "European Journal of Operational Research" 2000, 127: pp. 408-424.
- Nowak M.: ELECTRE Method In Deterministic and Stochastic Decision Problems. "Decisions" 2004, 2.
- Pinedo M.: Scheduling - Theory. Algorithms and Systems. Prentice Hall Englewood Cliffs 1995.
- Project Management Institute. A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge. Third Edition 2004.
- Viana A., de Sousa J.P.: Using Metaheuristic in Multiobjective Resource Constrained Project Scheduling. "European Journal of Operational Research" 2000, 120, pp. 359-374.