The Fiscal Union as a Remedy For the Economic and Financial Crisis in the European Union
Financial crisis and a global deep recession has led to new government interventions, and the nation's governors have struggled with the resulting budget deficits, unemployment, and other economic problems in their states. Many states are facing major fiscal problems in coming years. Rising debt and growing health and pension costs threaten tax increases down the road. At the same time, intense global economic competition makes it imperative that states improve their investment climates. To that end, some governors are pursuing broad-based tax reforms, such as cutting income tax rates and spending restraint to get their states back on track. The purpose of the article is to identify the impact of globalization and the international environment on the process of tax harmonization in the EU from the perspective of proposal to establish a fiscal union. Moreover, I would like to answer whether a deeper fiscal harmonization will help to achieve the objectives of fiscal consolidation in the time of global tax competition and free movement of capital, goods, services and labour force. The article is divided into several small parts. These parts include the examples/small case studies, which would help stressing the pros and cons of fiscal union and its potential consequences also in the field of economic freedom. Methodology in the article is based on the descriptive analysis of statistical data, source materials and Polish and English literature. (orignal abstract)
- Bond S., Chennells L., Devereux P.M., Gammie M.,Troup E. (2000), Corporate Tax Harmonisation in Europe: A Guide to the Debate. The Institute for Fiscal Studies. www.ifs.org.uk.
- Buehn A., Schneider F. (2012), Shadow economies around the world: novel insight, accepted knowledge, and new estimates. "Interbational Tax and Public Finance", Vol. 19, No. 1.
- Buiter W. (2007), Lessons from the 2007 Financial Crisis. CEPR Discussion Paper No. 6596. Center for Economic Policy Research.
- Devereux M.P., Loretz S. (2012), What do we know about corporate tax competition? Article prepared on the Annual Congress of International Institute of Public Finance, Drezno.
- Djankov S., Ganser T., McLiesh C., Ramalho R. Shleifer A. (2010), The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and entrepreneurship, "American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics", Vol. 2, No. 3.
- Edwards Ch. (2003), Tax Competition Spurs Globalization, USA "Today", Vol. 131, Issue. 2694.
- Edwards Ch., Mitchell D.J. (2008), Global Tax Revolution, CATO Institute, Washington.
- Edwards Ch., de Rugy V. (2002), International Tax Competition. A 21st-Century Restraint on Government, "Policy Analysis", No. 431, Cato Institute, Washington.
- Fox. W.F. (1998), Reengineering state and local revenue structures for the new econom, Proceedings of the Ninetieth Annual Conference on Taxation (Chicago, IL, November 1997).
- Gałuszka J. (2011), Globalization, harmonization - the impact on corporate income tax [in:] K. Jajuga (ed.), Financial Sciences, No. 5, Research Paper of Wroclaw University of Economics, Wrocław.
- Giddens A. (1990), The Consequences of Modernity, Stanford University Press: Stanford, CT.
- Ter-Minassian T. (2007),Globalization, Financial Markets, and Fiscal Policy, Prepared by the Fiscal Affairs Department, International Monetary Fund, November 16.
- Gomes P., Pouget F. (2008), Corporate Tax Competition and the decline of public investment, European Central Bank, Working Paper Series No. 928.
- Grunberg, I. (1998), Double jeopardy: Globalization, liberalization, and the scal squeeze, "World Development", Vol. 26, No. 4.
- Grubert H. (1998), Has globalization transformed the behavior of governments and taxpayers ? Proceedings of the Ninetieth Annual Conference on Taxation (Chicago, IL, November).
- Iorwerth A., Danforth J. (2004), Is Investment Not Sensitive to its User Cost? The Macro Evidence Revisited, Working Paper 2004-05. Ottawa: Department of Finance.
- Kirchgässner G., Pommerehne W.W. (1996), Tax harmonization and tax competition in the European Union: Lessons from Switzerland, "Journal of Public Economics", Vol. 60, No. 3.
- Kondo S. (2002), Uncooperative Tax Havens: Little Cheats Will have to Repent, "International Tribune", May 10.
- KPMG (2011), International Cooperative. Corporate and Indirect Tax Survey a Swiss Entity, September .
- Krogstrup S.(2003), A Synthesis of Recent Development in the Theory of Capital Tax Copetition, EPRU Working Paper, February.
- McBride S., Wiseman J. (2000), Globalization and Its Discontents, Macmillan. Basingstoke.
- Mitchell, D.J. (2007), Corporate Taxes: America Is Falling Behind, "Tax & Budget", No. 48.
- Mitchell, D. (2013), OECD Launches New Effort to Undermine Tax Competition, "Tax and Budget" No. 68.
- Mintz, J. M., Tarasov A. (2007), Canada is Missing out on Global Capital Market Integration, C. D. Howe Institute E-brief, Toronto: C. D. Howe Institute.
- Mintz J.M. (2007), Tax Competitiveness Report: A Call for Comprehensive Tax Reform, No. 254, C.D. Howe Institute, www.cdhowe.org.
- Mooij R.A, Ederveen S. (2003), Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research, "International Tax and Public Finance", No. 10.
- Mrak M. (2000), Globalization: Trends, Challenges and Opportunities for Counties in Transitio, United Nations, Vienna.
- Neumann R., Holman J., Alm J. (2003), Globalization and Tax Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Geortgia State University.
- Neumann R., Holman J., Alm J. (2008), Globalization and Tax Policy, VERC Conference on the implications of Integration for Globalization, Wilfrid Laurier University.
- OECD (2001), The OECD's Project on Harmful Tax Practices: The 2001 Progress Report, Paris.
- OECD (2013), Addressing Base Erosion and Profit Shifting, http://www.oecd.org/ctp/BEPSENG.pdf
- Owens J. (2006), Fundamental Tax Reform: an International Perspective, OECD's Centre for Tax Policy and Administration, www.oecd.org/ctp.
- Salin P. (2007), The Case Against "Tax Harmonization": The OECD and EU Initiatives, Liberales Institute. ww.taxcompetition.org
- Tanzi V. (2000), Globalization, Technological Developments and the Work of Fiscal Termites, International Monetarny Fund, Working Paper.
- Tanzi V. (2004), Globalization and The Need for Fiscal Reform in Developing Countries, Occasional Paper, IDB-INTAL, Buenos Aires.
- Tanzi V. (2005), Fiscal Policy and Fiscal Rules in the European Union, Centre for Social and Economic Research, Studies & Analyses No. 301, Warsaw.
- Paying Taxes (2009), The global picture, PriceWaterHouseCoopers and World Bank.
- Paying Taxes (2012), The global picture, PriceWaterHouseCoopers and World Bank.
- Sy W. (2012), Endogenous1 crisis and the economic paradigm, "Real-World Economics Review", No. 59.
- Stiglitz J.E. (2007), Wizja sprawiedliwej globalizacji, PWN, Warszawa 2007.