Activity of Microfinance Institutions in the Period of the Global Financial Crisis
The article examines the models of microfinance institutions (MFIs) and some alterations in this field. The regional distribution of MFIs has been shown, as well as their main ties with the real economy against a background of commercial banks. The study also provide some findings on the influence of the financial crisis, which erupted in the late 2007, on the microfinance sector. Therefore, the author analyzed the literature and quantitative data in order to determine these relationships. (orignal abstract)
- Armendáriz de Aghion B., Mordoch J. (2005), The economics of microfinance, The MIT Press Cambrige, London.
- Carboni B.J., Calderon M.L., Garrido S.R., Dayson K., Kickul J. (2010), Handbook of microcredit in Europe: social inclusion through microenterprise development, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham-Northampton.
- Churchill C., Frankiewicz C. (2006), Making Microfinance Work: Managing for Improved Performance, International Labour Office, Geneva.
- Christen R.P., Rosenberg R., Jayadeva V. (2004), Financial institutions with a "double bottom line": implications for the future of microfinance, "Occasional Paper", No. 8.
- Databases of: Microfinance Information Exchange, Inc. (microfinance indicators), The World Bank (GNI per capita).
- Davis S., Dubitsky R. (2013), Microfinance meets Wall Street, http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/22/brac-microfinance-creditsuisse-oped-cx_sdrd_0326brac.html (10.01.2013).
- Dellien H., Schreiner M. (2005), Credit scoring, banks, and microfinance: balancing high-tech with high-touch, "Microenterprise Development Review", Vol. 8, No. 2.
- Dellien H., Burnett J., Gincherman A., Lynch E. (2005), Product diversification in microfinance: introducing individual lending, Women's World Banking, New York.
- Di Bella G. (2011), The impact of the global financial crisis on microfinance and policy implications, "IMF Working Paper", No. 175.
- Everett S. (2013), Microcapital story: the global financial crisis and microfinance, http://www.microcapital.org/microcapital-story-the-global-financial-crisis-andmicrofinance (10.01.2013).
- Erceg B. (2010), Improving quality of credit portfolio, Association of Microfinance Institutions in Bosnia and Herzegovina , Sarajevo.
- Financial Access 2010. The state of financial inclusion through the crisis (2010), Consultative Group to Assist the Poor/The World Bank Group, Washington.
- Forest S, Green S., Pytkowska J. (2003), The state of microfinance in Central and Eastern Europe and the New Independent States, CGAP, Washington DC.
- Helmore K., Chidiac S., Hendricks L. (2009), Microfinance in Africa. State of the sector report, Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere, Atlanta.
- Holtmann M. (2008), Use of security in challenging environments: the microfinance perspective [in:] Dahan F, Simpson J. (ed.), Secured transations. Reform and access to credits, Edward Elgar Publishing, Bodmin.
- Jansson T. (2001), Microfinance: from village to wall street, Inter-American Development Bank, Washington.
- Karnani A. (2007), Microfinance misses its mark, "Stanford Social Innovation Review", No. 3.
- Karnani A. (2008), Romanticizing the poor harms the poor, "The Whitehead Journal of Diplomacy and International Relations", Vol. 9.
- Lascelles D., Mendelson S. (2012), Microfinance Banana Skins 2012. The CSFI survey of microfinance risk, Centre for the Study of Financial Innovation, London.
- Ledgerwood J. (1999), Microfinance handbook. An institutional and financial perspective, The World Bank, Washington D.C.
- Llanto G.M., Badiola J.A.R. (2009), The impact of the global financial crisis on rural and microfinance in asia, "Philippine Institute for Development Studies Discussion Paper Series", No. 24.
- Lützenkirchen C., Weistroffer C. (2012), Microfinance in evolution. An industry between crisis and advancement, "Deutsche Bank Research", September 13.
- Parameshwar D., Aggarwal N., Zanchi R., Shankar S.S. (2010), Indian MFIs: Growth for old new institutions alike, "The Micro Banking Bulletin", No. 20.
- Sengupta R., Aubuchon C.P. (2008), The microfinance revolution: an overview, "Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review", No. 90.
- The EIB Group and microfinance: promoting inclusive finance (2011), European Investment Bank, Luxembourg.
- Tulchin D. (2004), Positioning microfinance institutions for the capital markets, "Social Enterprise Associates Working Paper", No. 5.
- Strategic Framework for Sustainable Microfinance in Pakistan (2011), State Bank of Pakistan, Karachi.
- Welle-Strand A., Kjfllesdal K., Sitter N. (2010), Assessing microfinance: the Bosnia and Herzegovina case, "Managing Global Transition", Vol. 8, No. 2.
- 6 microfinance crises that the sector does not want to remamber (2013), http://www.microfinancefocus.com/node/2816 (10.01.2013).