Sustainable Marketing - a new Era in the Responsible Marketing Development
The purpose of this paper is to draw to the attention of those involved in marketing - scientists, educators, researchers, marketers, and professionals dealing with the implementation of marketing processes - the responsibility which rests upon them in the face of rapid social change worldwide through increasing global economic turbulence, a continuously widening gap between rich and poor societies as well as the galloping degradation of the natural environment. The paper is a critical analysis and literature review of marketing covering recent studies on marketing issues in relation to the concept of sustainability. Faced with increasing criticisms of a one-dimensional profit driven approach, the marketing concept requires rebranding to address issues of sustainability. Intense strategic discussion is required concerning the need to change attitudes that promote and implement modern marketing, starting from changes in the consumption model through the creation of commercial proposals, which will positively shape the future of both market exchange and social life. Moreover, it is postulated that marketers present to consumers an attitude of active and responsible management, as well as openness and honesty in market communication. The article introduces discussion on sustainable marketing and its fundamental importance in the development of marketing theory in Poland; taking into account current debates voiced in Poland - often based on imprecise interpretation of the marketing process. There exists therefore, a need for a thorough analysis and standardisation of understanding marketing theory and consequently the introduction of new concepts and new practices into the marketing process. (original abstract)
-  Adams R., Carruthers J., Hamil S. - ChangingCorporate Values. Kogan Page, 1991.
-  Al-Khatib J.A., D'Auria S.A., Rawwas M.Y.A. - Ethical Segmentation of Consumers in DevelopingCountries: A Comparative Analysis [in] International Marketing Review, Vol. 22, No 2, 2005, pp. 225-246.
-  Allen F., Carletti E., Marquez R. - StakeholderCapitalism, Corporate Governance and FirmValue. EUI Working Paper ECO, 2008.
-  Amble B. - Investor Interest in CSR is on the Rise. 2003, http://www.management-issues.com/2006/8/24/research/investor-interest-in-csr-is-on-therise.asp (accessed on February 2009).
-  Ashton D., Tippet M. - Systematic Risk andEmpirical Research [in] Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, No. 25, 1998, pp. 1325-1362.
-  Aupperle K.E., Carroll A.B., Hatfield J.D. - An Empirical Examination of the RelationshipBetween Corporate Social Responsibilityand Profitability [in] The Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 28, No. 2, 1985, pp. 446-463.
-  Balabanis G., Phillips H.C., Lyall J. - CorporateSocial Responsibility and Economic Performancein the Top British Companies: Are They Linked? [in] European Business Review, Vol. 98, No. 1, 1998, pp. 24-44.
-  Bartels G.C., Nelissen W. (eds.) - Marketingfor Sustainability: Towards Transactional Policy-Making. Amsterdam, NLD: IOS Press, 2002.
-  Becchetti L., Ciciretti R., Hasan I. - CorporateSocial Responsbility and Shareholder's Value:An Event Study Analysis. Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta Working Paper, 2007.
-  Bird R., Hall A.D. Momente F., Reggiani F. - WhatCorporate Social Responsibility Activities areValued by the Market? [in] Journal of Business Ethics, No. 76, 2007, pp. 189-206.
-  Boega F., Campos A.S., Camino D. - Did theCreation of ISE Created Value to Companies? XXXII Encontro da ANPAD, 2008.
-  Borland H., Paliwoda S. - Marketing Responsibilityin an Era of Economic and Climactic Challenge [in] Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2011, pp. 49-62.
-  Bourassa M. A., Cunningham P. H., Handelman J.M. - How Philip Kotler Has Helped to Shapethe Field of Marketing [in] European Business Review, Vol. 19, No. 2, 2007, pp. 174-192.
-  Bragdon Jr. J.H., Marlin J.A.T. - Is PollutionProfitable? [in] Risk Management, Vol. 19, No. 2, 1972, pp. 9-18.
-  Brammer S., Millington A., Rayton B. - TheContribution of Corporate Social Responsibilityto Organizational Commitment [in] The International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 18, No. 10, 2007, pp. 1701-1719.
-  Burchell J., Cook J. - It's Good to Talk? ExaminingAttitudes Towards Corporate Social ResponsibilityDialogue and Engagement Processes [in] Business Ethics: A European Review, Vol. 15, No. 2, 2006, pp. 154-170.
-  Burke L., Logsdon J.M. - How Corporate SocialResponsibility Pays Off? [in] Long Range Planning, Vol. 29, No. 4, 1996, pp. 495-502.
-  Campbell C.J., Cowan A.R., Salotti V. - Multi-Country Event Studies Methods (2010), http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1359798 (accessed on September 2012).
-  Carr S.C., Rugimbana R.O. - Marketing and Developmentout of Poverty: Introduction to the SpecialIssue [in] International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, Vol. 14, 2009, pp. 95-100.
-  Chatterji A.K., Levine D.I., Toffel M.W. - HowWell Do Social Ratings Actually MeasureCorporate Social Responsibility? Working Paper of the Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative, 2007.
-  Cherniss C., Goleman D. - The Emotionally IntelligentWorkplace. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001.
-  Cochran P.L. - The Evolution of Corporate SocialResponsibility. Business Horizons, No. 50, 2007, pp. 449-454.
-  Crane A., Desmond J. - Societal Marketing andMorality [in] Europeana Journal of Marketing, Vol. 36, No 5/6, 2002, pp. 548-569.
-  Crane A., Matten D. - Business Ethics (2nd ed.). Oxford University Press, 2007.
-  CSR Quotes. (n.d.). Retrieved 2009, http://www.gaia.com/quotes/topics/corporate+social+responsibility.
-  Curran M.M., Moran D. - Impact of theFTSE4Good Index on Firm Price: An Event Study [in] Journal of Environmental Management, No. 82, 2007, pp. 529-537.
-  Czajkiewicz Z.J., Grudzewski W.M., Hejduk I.K. - Leadership and New Science. Economics and Organization of Enterprise, Vol. 2, No. 2, Warsaw, 2008.
-  David C., Rindova V.P. - Would You Like FriesWith That? Producing and Consuming SocialMeasures of Firm Value [in] Proceedings of the Sixty-Sixth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (ed. G.T. Solomon), 2008.
-  Dołhasz M., Fudaliński J., Kosała M., Smutek H. - Podstawy zarządzania. Koncepcje - strategie - zastosowania. PWN, Warszawa 2009.
-  Dow Jones Indexes, STOXX, SAM. (2008, September). Guide to the Dow Jones SustainabilityWorld Indexes, from Dow Jones Sustainability Index: http://www.sustainability-index.com/djsi_pdf/publications/Guidebooks/DJSI_World_Guidebook10_1.pdf (accessed on November 2008).
-  Du S., Bhattacharya C.B., Sen S. - ReapingRelational Rewards from Corporate SocialResponsibility: The Role of CompetitivePositioning [in] International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 24, No.3, 2007, pp. 224-241.
-  Durcker P.F. - Managing for Results. HarperCollins Publishers, New York, 1986.
-  Durcker P.F. - Myśli przewodnie Duckera. MT Busines, Warszawa, 2001 (in Polish).
-  Durcker P.F. - Praktyka zarządzania. MT Busines, Warszawa 2008 (in Polish).
-  Durcker Peter.F.: Zawód Menadżer. MT Busines, Warszawa, 2004 (in Polish).
-  Durcker P.F: New Trends in Management BecomeGrounded in Basic Principles [in] Executive Excellence, Vol. 20, No 8, pp. 8-10, 2003.
-  Elton E.J., Gruber M.J., Brown S.J., Goetzmann W.N. - Modern Portfolio Theory and InvestmentAnalysis. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007.
-  European Commission: Promoting a EuropeanFramework for Corporate Social Responsibility -Green Paper. European Commission, 2000.
-  Fama E.F. - Efficient Capital Markets: A Reviewof Theory and Empirical Work [in] Journal of Finance, Vol. 25, 1970, pp. 383-417.
-  Fama E.F. - Efficient Markets: II [in] The Journal of Finance, Vol. 46, No. 5 , 1991, pp. 1575-1617.
-  Finch N. - The Emergence of CSR and SustainabilityIndices (2005), http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=902201 (accessed on November 2008).
-  Freedman M., Stagliano A.J. - Differences inSocial-Cost Disclosures: A Market Test of InvestorRelations [in] Auditing and Accountability Journal, Vol. 4, No. 1, 1991, pp. 68-83.
-  Freeman E.R., Evan W.M. - Corporate Governance:A Stakeholder Interpretation [in] Journal of Behavioral Economics, Vol. 19, No. 4, 1990, pp. 337-359.
-  Friedman M. - The Social Responsibilityof Business is to Increase Its Profits [in] New York Times Magazine, 1970, September 13, p. 33.
-  FTSE - FTSE4Good Index Series Factsheet (2008), http://www.ftse.com/Indices/FTSE4Good_Index_Series/Downloads/FTSE4Good_Factsheet.pdf (accessed on November 2008).
-  Gaile-Sarkane E. - Diversity of Marketing - Trendsand Development [in] Economics and Management, Riga University of Technology, Faculty of Economics & Management, Vol. 15, 2010.
-  Gasparski W. - Etyczność marketingu - marketingiemetyczności. Business Ethic Center IFiS PAN & WSPiZ im L. Koźmińskiego, Warszawa, 2004.
-  Geczy C., Stambaugh R.F., Levin D. - Investingin Socially Responsible Mutual Funds (2005), http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=416380 (accessed on September 2012).
-  Godfrey P.C. - The Relationship BetweenCorporate Philanthropy and Shareholder Wealth:A Risk Management Perspective [in] Academy of Manage-ment Review, No. 30, 2004, pp. 777-798.
-  Godfrey P.C., Merril C.B., Hansen J.M. - TheRelationship Between Corporate Social Responsibilityand Shareholder Value: An Empirical Testof The Risk Management Hypothesis [in] Strategic Management Journal, 2008. Vol. 30 No 4, pp. 425-446.
-  Goldberg C. - Too Much of Good Thing. The Boston Globe, February, 2006
-  Grudzewski W.M., Hejduk I., Sankowska A. - Trust Management - The New Way in The InformationSociety, Economics and Organization of Enterprise, Vol. 2, No. 2, Warsaw, 2008.
-  Grudzewski W.M., Hejduk I. - Trust in CorporateStrategy Development. Economics and Business Administration Journal, Warsaw School of Economics, Warsaw, 2009,
-  Grudzewski W.M., Hejduk I.: Trust Managementas a base of New Economy Management Practices [in] Economics and Organization of Enterprise, Vol. 4, No. 2, Warsaw, 2009.
-  Hamilton J.T. - Pollution as News: Media andStock Market Reactions to the Toxics ReleaseInventory Data [in] Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 28, pp. 98-113.
-  Henderson D. - Misguided Virtue: False Notionsof CSR. IEA Publications, 2001.
-  How Marketers Build Sustainable Success? Business in the Community, Registered details 137 Shepherdess Walk, London N1 7RQ, London, February 2010.
-  Hunt Shelby D. - Sustainable Marketing, Equity,and Economic Growth: A Resource-Advantage,Economic Freedom Approach [in] Journal of the Academy Marketing Science, Vol. 9, No. 39, 2011, pp. 7-20.
-  James P.T., Leach R., Kalamara E., Shayeghi M. - The Worldwide Obesity Epidemic, OBESITY RESEARCH, Vol. 9, Suppl. 4, November 2001.
-  Jones P., Clarke-Hill C., Comfort D., Hillier D. - Marketing and Sustainability [in] Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2008, pp. 123-130.
-  Jones E.A. - Company Investment Decisions andthe Market Value of the Firm. Heriot-Watt University PhD, 2002.
-  Kadirov D, Varey R. J. - Future Marketing: Dialecticsof Post-Industrial Development [in] Journal of Customer Behaviour, 2010, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 357-377.
-  Karlsson J., Chakarova Y. - Does Corporate SocialResponsibility Pay Off? (2007), http://hdl.handle.net/2077/9911 (accessed on November 2008).
-  Klein D. - Engaging Employees through SocialResponsibility. Leader to Leader, No. 46, 2007, pp. 56-58.
-  Klincewicz K. - Etyka w marketingu i marketingw etyce biznesu - metaforyczność, konwencjonalizmi zakorzenienie. Wydział Zarządzania, Uniwersytet Warszawski, School of Science and Engineering, TITech (Tokyo Institute of Technology), Warszawa, 2004, http://www.etykabiznesu.com.pl/.
-  Kneader N., Gray R.H., Power D.M., Sinclair C.D. - Evaluating the Performance of Ethical and Non-Ethical Funds: a Matched Pair Analysis. Working Paper, 2001.
-  Knox S., Gruar C. - The Application of StakeholderTheory to Relationship Marketing Strategy Developmentin a Non-profit Organization [in] Journal of Business Ethics, 2007, Vol. 75, pp. 115-135.
-  Kobylański A., Szulc R. - Development of Marketingorientation in Small and Medium - Sized Enterprises,Evidence from Eastern Europe [in] International Journal of Management and Marketing Research, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2011.
-  Korhonen J. - Should We Measure CorporateSocial Responsibility? [in] Journal of Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 10 (1), 2003, pp. 25-39.
-  Kotler P., Keller K..L., Brady M., Goodman M., Hansen T. - Marketing Management.Pearson, London 2009.
-  Kotler P., Amstrong G. - Principles of Marketing,global edition. Pearson, London 2011.
-  Kotler P., Kartajya H., Setiawan I. - Marketing 3.0:from Products to Customers to the Human Spirit. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Hoboken New Jersey, 2010.
-  Kotler P., Caslione J. A. - Chaotics - The Businessof Managing and Marketing in the Age of Turbulence. AMACOM American Management Association, New York, 2009.
-  LeBlanc D.C. - Statistics: Concepts andApplications for Science. Jones & Barlett Publishers, 2003, pp. 245-246.
-  Łepko Z., Sadowski R. (ed.) - A Humanist Approachto Sustainable Development. UKSW, Warszawa 2009.
-  Lopez V.M., Garcia A., Rodriguez L. - SustainableDevelopment and Corporate Performance: A StudyBased on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index [in] Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 75, No. 3, 2007, pp. 285-300.
-  Lorraine N.H., Garcia A., Rodriguez L. - An Analysisof the Stock Market Impact of Environ-mentalPerformance Informatio [in] Accounting Forum, 2004,Vol. 28, No 1, pp. 7-26.
-  Luo X., Bhattacharya C.B. - Corporate SocialResponsibility, Customer Satisfaction and MarketValue [in]. Journal of Marketing, 70 (June), 2006, pp. 1-18.
-  Lux J., Thorsen S.S., Meisling A. - CorporateSocial Responsibility: Chapter 19, The EuropeanInitiatives. International Bar Assciation, 2005.
-  Mackey A., Mackey T.B., Barney J.B. - CorporateSocial Responisbilty and Firm Performance:Investor Preferences and Corporate Strategies [in] Academy of Management Review, Vol. 32, No. 3, 2007, pp. 817-835.
-  Martens P., Akin, Su-Mia Maud Huynen, Raza M. - Is Globalization Healthy: A Statistical IndicatorAnalysis of the Impacts of Globalization on Health [in] Globalization and Health, 2010, Vol. 6, No. 16.
-  McWillims A., Sigel D. - Corporate Social Responsibility:a Theory of the Firm Perspective [in] Academy of Management Review, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2001, pp. 117-127.
-  Mersino A. - Emotional Intelligence for ProjectManagers: The People Skills You Need to AchieveOutstanding Results. Saranac Lake, NY, USA: AMACOM Books, 2007, p. 8.
-  Minzberg H. - The Case for Corporate SocialResponsibility [in] Journal of Business Strategy, No. 4, 1983, pp. 3-15.
-  Moon J. - Government as a Driver of CorporateSocial Responsbility. ICCSR Research Paper Series, No. 20, 2004.
-  Nelling E., Webb E. - Corporate Social Responsbilityand Financial Perfroance: the "VirtuousCircle" Revisited [in] Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, No. 32, 2009, pp. 197-209.
-  Orlitzky M., Schmidt F.L., Rynes S.L. - CorporateSocial and Financial Performance: a Meta-Analysis [in] Organization Studies, Vol. 24, No. 3, 2003, pp. 403-411.
-  Pape J., Rau H., Fahy F., Davies A. - DevelopingPolicies and Instruments for Sustainable HouseholdConsumption: Irish Experiences and Futures [in] Journal of Consumer Policy, 2011, No. 34, pp. 25-42.
-  Perrini F., Pogutz S., Tencati A. - DevelopingCorporate Social Responsibility: A EuropeanPerspective. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2006.
-  Polonsky M., Jevons C. - Global Brandingand Strategic CSR: an Overview of Three Typesof Complexity [in] International Marketing Review, Vol. 26, No. 3, 2009. pp. 327-347.
-  Porter M.E., Kramer M.R. - Creating Shared Value. Harvard Business Review, January-February 2011.
-  Preston L.E., O'Bannon D.P. - The CorporateSocial-Financial Performance Relationship:A Typology and Analysis [in] Business & Society, Vol. 36, No. 4, 1997, pp. 419-429.
-  Redesigning Busines Value: A Roadmap forSustainable Consumption, World Economic Forum Report, Geneva, January 2010.
-  Ren L., Xie G., Krabbendam K. - SustainableCompetitive Advantage and Marketing InnovationWithin Firms. A Pragmatic Approach for ChineseFirms [in] Management Research Review Vol. 33, No. 1, 2010, pp. 79-89.
-  Oudan R. - Makromarketing and Market OrientationEffects on Economic Growth a ContceptualizationModel [in] Proceedings of the Academy of Marketing Studies, Vol. 13, No. 1, Tunica, 2008.
-  Ryan L.V., Sójka J. (ed.) - Etyka biznesu: Z klasykiwspółczesnej myśli amerykańskiej, Wydawnictwo W Drodze, Poznań 1997 (in Polish).
-  SAS - SAS Institute Inc., http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/59654/HTML/default/statug_intromod_a0000000346.htm (accessed on 2009).
-  Schlegelmilch B.B., Oberseder M. -: Half a Centuryof Marketing Ethics: Shifting Perspectivesand Emerging Trends [in] Journal of Business Ethics No. 93, 2010, pp. 1-19.
-  Schlegelmilch B.B., Öberseder M. - Half a Centuryof Marketing Ethics: Shifting Perspectives andEmerging Trends [in] Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 93, 2010, pp. 1-19.
-  Schwartz J. - Reforming the Corporation fromWithin [in] Corporate Social Policy: Selections from Business and Society Review (eds. Heilbroner R.L. and London P.), Addison- Wesleypublishing Co, London 1975, pp. 12-18.
-  Shane P.B., Spicer B.H. - Market Responseto Environmental Information Produced Outsidethe Firm [in] Accounting Review, No. 58, 1983, pp. 521-538.
-  Singhapakdi A., Karande K., Rao C.P., Vitell S. J. - How Important are Ethics and Social Responsibility?A Multinational Study of Marketing Professionals [in] European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 35, No. 1/2, 2001, pp. 133-152.
-  Sirgy M.J., Dong-Jin L. - Setting Socially ResponsibleMarketing Objectives - a Quality-Of-Life Approach [in] European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 30, No. 5, 1996, pp. 20-34.
-  Smith K.G., Hitt M.A. - Great Minds in Management:The Process of Theory Development. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2005.
-  Social Investment Forum - Report on SociallyResponsible Investing Trends in the United States [at] Social Investment Forum, Washington 2007, http://www.socialinvest.org/resources/research/
-  Springer R., Czinkota M.R. - Marketing's Contributionto the Transformation of Central and EasternEurope [in] Thunderbird International Business Review, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 29-488, January / February 1999.
-  Strong N. - Modelling Abnormal Returns: A ReviewArticle [in] Journal of Business, Finance and Accounting, 19(4), June 1992, pp. 533-553.
-  Vaaland T. I. Morten H., Grønhaug K. - CorporateSocial Responsibility: Investigating Theory andResearch in the Marketing Context [in] European Journal of Marketing. Vol. 42, No. 9/10, 2008, pp. 927-953.
-  Viswanathan M. - Measurement Error andResearch Design. Sage Publications, 2005.
-  von Arx U., Ziegler A. - The Effect of CSRon Stock Performance: New Evidence for the USAand Europe. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Working Paper 08/85, 2008.
-  Vyakarnam S. - Social Responsibility: WhatLeading Companies Do [in] Long Range Planning, Vol. 25, No. 5, 1992, pp. 59-67.
-  Waddock S.A., Graves S.B. - The Corporate SocialPerformance-Financial Performance Link [in] Strategy Management Journal, Vol. 18, Issue 4, 1997, pp. 303-319.
-  Williams C.A., Aguilera R.V. - Corporate SocialResponsibility in a Comparative Perspective. The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Social Responsibility, Oxford University Press, 2008.
-  Williams E. - CSR Europe's SustainableMarketing Guide: 4Ps for 3Ps. CSR Europe, www.csreurope.org, Brussels, Belgium 2010.
-  Zadek S., MacGillivray A. - The State of ResponsibleCompetitiveness 2007: Making SustainableDevelopment Count in Global Market. Account Ability, July 2007.