Human Performance Improvement in the Health Care Organizations. Results of Empirical Study in Poland
Human Performance Improvement (HPI) as well as human aspects in Quality Management (QM) has received strong attention from researches. Many studies investigate the level of health care services and their main determinants. This paper seeks the relationships between the concepts of HPI and QM. The aims are to present the HPI practices on the example of EFQM Business Excellence Model criteria. HPI criteria were measured by EFQM model in Health Care Organizations (HCO) in Poland with use of case study methodology conducted on the basis of self-assessment reports documentation. The study included all HCO which are Polish Quality Award winners in the years 2005-2010. Studied HCO belonged to public sector. Results of study: (1) showed that the rules of HPI apply to all criteria of the EFQM model in Human Resources Management range, (2) justified the role and importance of HPI in the evaluation QM in HCO. The use of the EFQM model to assessment of the quality level of HCO is helpful for implementation of aimed improvement. Building QM awareness contributes to HCO creation of the need for management mechanisms and the development of medical service personnel function which is related to HPI. (original abstract)
-  Carman J.M., Shortell S.M., Foster R.W., Hughes E.F.X., Boerstler H., O'Brien J.L., O'Connor E.J. - Keys for Successful Implementation of Total QualityManagement in Hospitals [in] Health Care Management Review, 35(4), 2010.
-  Chou A.F., Vaughn T.E., McCoy K.D., Doebbeling B.N. - Implementation of Evidence - Based Practices:Applying a Goal Commitment Framework [in] Health Care Management Review, 36(1), 2011.
-  de Korne D.F., Sol K., Van Wijngaarden J., Van Vliet E., Custers T., Cubbon M., Spileers W., Ygge J., Ang Ch., Klazinga N. - Evaluation of an InternationalBenchmarking Initiative in Nine Eye Hospitals [in] Health Care Management Review, 35(1), 2010.
-  Etchegaray J.M., St. John C., Thomas E.J. - Measures and Measurement of High - PerformanceWork System in Health Care Setting: Propositionsfor Improvement [in] Health Care Management Review, 36(1), 2011.
-  Ford-Eichoff K., Plowman D.A., McDaniel Jr. R.R. - Hospital Boards and Hospital Strategic Focus. The Impact of Board Involvement in Strategic DecisionMaking [in] Health Care Management Review, 36(2), 2011.
-  Gowen Ch.R., Henagan S.C., McFadden K.L. - Knowledge Management as a Mediator for the Efficacyof Transformational Leadership and QualityManagement Initiatives in U.S. Health Care [in] Health Care Management Review, 34(2), 2009.
-  Humphress R., Berge Z.L. - Justifying HumanPerformance Improvement Interventions [in] Performance Improvement, 45(7), 2006.
-  Klimek D. - Quality of Medical Personnel Management(Based on the Example of Podlaskie Voivodeship) [in] Methods to improve the efficiency of workers (eds. E. Jędrych, J.P. Lendzion). Technical University, Lodz 2010.
-  Nambisan P. - Evaluating Patient Experiencein Online Health Communities: Implications forHealth Care Organizations [in] Health Care Management Review, 36(2), 2011.
-  Nambisan P. - Models of Customer Value Cocreationin Health Care [in] Health Care Management Review, 34(4), 2009.
-  Otani K., Herrmann P.A., Kurz R.S. - Patient SatisfactionIntegration Process: Are There any RacialDifferences? [in] Health Care Management Review, 35(2), 2010.
-  Rahmqvist M., Bara A.C. - Patent characteristicsand quality dimensions related to patent satisfaction [in] International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 22(2), 2010.
-  Rashid W., Jusoff H. - Service Quality in HealthCare Setting [in] International Journal of Health Care, Quality Assurance, 22(5), 2009.
-  Rathert Ch., Ishqaidef G., May D.R. - ImprovingWork Environments in Health Care: Test of a TheoreticalFramework [in] Health Care Management Review, 34(4), 2009.
-  Rudawska I. - Opieka zdrowotna. Aspekty rynkowei marketingowe. Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, Warszawa 2007.
-  Szczepańska K. - Zarządzanie jakością. W dążeniudo doskonałości. C.H. Beck, Warszawa 2011.
-  Szczepańska K., Onyszczuk J., Essence of HPIConcept [in] Methods to improve the efficiency of workers (eds. E. Jędrych, J.P. Lendzion), Technical University, Lodz 2010.