Business Survey Research in the RIED
Research Institute of Economic Development (RIED) at the Warsaw School of Economics (WSE) has gained a considerable experience in carrying out business surveys in several fields. Its first business survey dates back to 1986, when manufacturing industry, limited to the public sector, was surveyed. Privately owned enterprises were included since 1993. Step by step, the surveyed areas were extended to cover households (1990), agriculture (1992), construction (1993), trade (1993), and banking (1998). All these surveys are questionnaire-based and qualitative in nature. Respondents are selected randomly, with a sample revised periodically, and they reply on a strictly voluntary basis. Based on responses, a vast set of information about various aspects of economic situation, assessment of current levels of activities as well as forecasts for the nearest future are derived. These, in turn, have grown into a monitoring system of tendencies in individual sectors and the economy as a whole. One of the key objectives of conducting such surveys is the prompt availability of signals of slowdowns and upturns as well as a possibility of preparing short-term forecasts. A set of economic indicators (EI) - composite indicators for the whole economy, and consumer and business indicators for individual sectors - derived from balances of selected responses is a key part of this monitoring system. It is a useful tool in forecasting short-term changes in growth of several economic variables, including the GDP. Results of surveys along with a detailed analysis of outcomes are regularly published in RIED's bulletins. The most recent values of economic indicators are also available on CIRET web pages, while RIED home page includes the recent changes in the evolution of economic indicators for each surveyed area. (fragment of text)
- Adamowicz E., Bisiness Survey, Poland. RIED, WSE. Bulletins No. 150-183.
- Podgórska M., Business Activity in Cinstruction Industry, RIED, WSE. Bulletins No. 29-40.
- Majchrzak K., Business Activity in Trade. RIED, WSE. Bulletins No. 29-40.
- The New Economic Sentiment Indicator and Consumer Confidence Indicator for EU and the Euro Area. European Commission. Directorate General for the Economic and Financial Affairs.
- Duczkowska - Małysz K., The State of the Households. RIED, WSE. Bulletins No. 34-45.
- Gorzelak E., Business Activity in Agriculture. RIED, WSE. Bulletins No. 9-20.
- Kluza B., Kluza K., Business Situation in Banking Sector. RIED, WSE. Bulletins No. 8-19.