Sustainable Development Analysis in transport Process
Transport is one of the largest sources of environmental pollution in Europe. The large number of significant environmental impacts associated with transport range from local through to global and cut across a large range of issues. Many of these impacts are increasing. Others are beginning to decrease but these impacts may start to increase again in the longer term unless action is taken to reduce transport growth. The environmental impacts associated with transport include energy and mineral resources, land resources, water resources, air quality, solid waste, biodiversity, noise and vibration, built environment impacts and health effects. Impacts across these categories are outlined below. Having outlined the environmental impacts of transport, the importance of establishing policy targets is discussed. Targets can help focus effective action to reduce the environmental impact of transport. These targets should he challenging, but not unrealistic, and they should be amenable to measurement, monitoring, and adjustment over time. It shows that reducing the environmental impacts of transport requires action not just in terms of transport policy, but also in terms of the organization and structure of the transport sector as well as general economic policies. (fragment of text)
- Adamczyk J., Nitkiewicz T.: Programowanie zrównoważonego rozwoju przedsiębiorstw. PWE, Warszawa 2007.
- Banister D. Introduction: transport policy and the environment. In: Transport Policy and the Environment. Ed. by D. Banister. Spon Press, London 1998.
- Banister D., Stead D., Steen P., Akerman J., Dreborg K., Nijkamp P., Schleicher-Tappeser R.: European Transport Policy and Sustainable Mobility. Spon Press, London 2000.
- EU Energy and Transport in Figures. Office for the Official Publications of the European communities, Luxembourg 2009.
- Hedkvist Petersen E.: Priorities in EU Road safety - Progress report and ranking of action. The European Parliament, the Economic and Social Committee and the committee of the Regions COM (2000)125 - C5 0248/2000.
- National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory NAEI, 2009.
- Transport and environment: on the way to a new common transport policy, TERM 2006: Indicators tracking transport and environment in the European Union. EEA Report 2007, No. 1. European Environment Agency, Copenhagen 2007.
- Trends in primary nitrogen dioxide concentrations in the UK. AQEG, Air Quality Expert Group. Defra Publications, London 2007.