Outcome- and behavior-based performance assessment of sales managers : the influence of hierarchical level
What objective and subjective criteria are employed in assessing the performance of sales managers? Are sales managers at different hierarchical levels appraised using the same performance assessment dimensions? Because of the paucity of research on these topics, finding and documenting answers to these important questions serves as the primary impetus for this empirical investigation. Results show that the performance of sales managers is not conducted using a homogeneous set of performance assessment factors. Specifically, the jobs that sales managers perform at the upper levels of the sales management hierarchy are evaluated using criteria that are distinctly different from those performed at the lower levels. Findings also reveal that, as sales managers ascend the management hierarchy, their performance assessment centers more on attaining strategic marketing objectives and economic outcomes. Sales managers at lower hierarchical levels are appraised using criteria that primarily involve managing, leading, controlling, and directing sales force-related activities. Managerial implications are discussed, drawbacks of the study identified, and directions for future research proffered. (original abstract)
- Armstrong, J.S. Overton T.,(1977), Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys, "Journal of Marketing Research", 51 (July), 71-86.
- Anderson, R. E. Dubinsky A. Mehta R., (2007), Personal Selling: Building Customer Relationships and Partnerships, 2nd Edition, Boston: Houghton-Mifflin.
- Anderson, R. E., Mehta R. Strong J.,(1997), An Empirical Investigation of Sales Management Training Programs for Sales Managers, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Managemen"t, 17 (Summer), 53-66.
- Anderson, R. E. (1996), Personal Selling and Sales Management in the New Millennium, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 16 (Fall), 17-32.
- Blocker, C.P. Cannon J.P. Panagopoulos N.G. Sager J.K., (2012), The Role of the Sales Force in Value Creation and Appropriation: New Directions for Research, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 32 (Winter), 15-28.
- Bricker, G.A. (1992), Performance Agreements: The Key to Increasing Motivation, "Sales & Marketing Management", 144 (February), 69-70.
- Busch, P. (1980), The Sales Managers Bases of Social Power and Influence Upon the Sales Force, "Journal of Marketings" 44 (Summer), 91-101.
- Carew, J. (1989), When Salespeople Evaluate Their Managers..., "Sales & Marketing" Management, (March), 24-27.
- Cascio, W. (1998), Managing Human Resources, 5th Edition, New York, NY: McGraw-HilL.
- Chiang, F.F. Birtch T.A., (2010), Appraising Performance Across Borders: An Empirical Examination of the Purposes and Practices of Performance Appraisal in a Multi-Country Context, "Journal of Management Studies", 47 (November), 1365-1393.
- Chonko, L. B., Loe T. N. Roberts J. A. Tanner J.F.,(2000), Sales Performance: Timing of Measurement and Type of Measurement Make a Difference, "Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management", 20(1), 23-36.
- Churchill, G.A. (1991), Marketing Research: Methodological Foundations, Fort Worth, TX: Dryden Press.
- Czinkota, M.R. Kotabe M. Mercer D.,(1997), Marketing Management: Text and Cases, Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Publishers.
- Daft, R. L. (2003), Management, 6th Edition, Chicago, IL: Thomson Learning.
- Dixon, A.L. Tanner J.F. , (2012), Transforming Selling: Why It Is Time To Think Differently About Sales Research, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 32 (Winter), 9-14.
- Dubinsky, A.J. Mehta R. Anderson R. E.,(2001), Satisfaction with Sales Manager Training: Design and Implementation Issues, "European Journal of Marketing", 35 (1/2), 27-50.
- Dubinsky, A.J Anderson R.E. Mehta R.,(2000), The Importance of Alternative Rewards: Impact of Managerial Level, Industrial Marketing Management, 29,427-440.
- Dubinksy, A.J. Anderson R.E. Mehta R., (1999), Selection, Training, and Performance Evaluation of Sales Managers: An Empirical Investigation, "Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing", 6 (3), 37-69.
- Dubinsky, A.J. Ingram T.N. , (1983), Important First-Line Sales Management Qualifications: What Sales Executives Think, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 3 (May), 18-25.
- Dubinsky, A.J. Barry T.E., (1982), A Survey of Sales Management Practices, "Industrial Marketing Management", 11 (April), 133-141.
- Erffmeyer, R.C., Russ K.R. Hair J.F.,(1991), Needs Assessment and Evaluation in Sales Training Programs, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 11 (Winter), 17-30.
- Evans, K.R., McFarland R.G. Dietz B. Jaramillo F.,(2012), Advancing Sales Performance Research: A Focus on Five Under Researched Topic Areas, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 32 (Winter), 89-106.
- Flaherty, K., Lam S. Lee N. Mulki J. Dixon A.,(2012), Social Network Theory and the Sales Manager Role: Engineering the Right Relationship Flows, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 32 (Winter), 29-40.
- Futrell, C.-M. (1997), Sales Management: Teamwork, Leadership, and Technology, 5 Edition, New York, NY: The Dryden Press.
- Gliddon, D.G. (2004), Effective Performance Management Systems: Current Criticisms and New Ideas for Employee Evaluation, "Performance Improvement", 43 (September) 27-34.
- Gomez-Mejia, L.R., McCann J.E. Page R.C., (1985), The Structure of Managerial Behaviors and Rewards, "Industrial Relations",24 (Winter), 147-154.
- Guest, D.B. Meric H.J., (1989), The Fortune 500 Companies' Selection Criteria for Promotion to First Level Sales Management: An Empirical Study, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 9 (Fall), 47-52.
- Hair, J.F., Anderson R.E. Mehta R. Babin B., (2009), Sales Management: Building Customer Relationships and Partnerships, Boston: Houghton-Mifflin.
- Hall, R.H. (2002), Organizations: Structures, Processes, and Outcomes, 8th Edition, Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall.
- Ingram, T.N., LaForge R.W. Avila R.A., (2008), Sales Management: Analysis and Decision Making, Fort Worth, TX: Dryden Press.
- Ingram, T.N. LaForge R.W. Locander W.B. MacKenzie S.B. Podsakoff P.M., (2005), New Directions in Sales Leadership Research, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 25 (Spring), 138-154.
- Ingram, T.N., LaForge R.W. Schwepker C.H., (2007), Salesperson Ethical Decision Making: The Impact of Sales Leadership and Sales Management Control Strategy," Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 27 (Fall), 301-315.
- Jackson, D.W., Keith J.E. Schlachter J.L.,(1983), Evaluation of Selling Performance: A Study of Current Practices, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 3 (November), 42-51.
- Jackson, D.W., Ostrom L.L. Evans K.R.,(1982), Measures Used to Evaluate Marketing Activities, "Industrial Marketing Management", 11 (October), 269-274.
- Johnston, Mark W. Marshall Greg W., (2009), Churchill/Ford/Walker's Sales Force Management, 9th Edition, Columbus, OH: McGraw-Hill.
- Jones G.R. (2001), Organizational Theory: Text and Cases, 3rd Edition, Englewood Cliffs: NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Keenan, W. (1993), Measuring Skills That Improve Performance, "Sales & Marketing Management", 145 (December), 29-30.
- Knowledge@Wharton (2011), Should Performance Reviews Be Fired, April 27,1.
- Kreitner, R. Charlene C., (2012), Management, 12th Edition, Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Lagace, R.R. (1991), An Exploratory Study of Reciprocal Trust Between Sales Managers and Salespersons, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management"11 (Spring), 49-58.
- Leigh James H. Futrell Charles M., (1985), From the Trenches to the Command Post: Perceptual and Attitudinal Differences Among Levels in the Marketing Management Hierarchy, "Journal of Business Research", 13 (December), 511-536.
- Lysonski, S.J. Johnson E.M., (1983), The Sales Manager as a Boundary Spanner: A Role Theory Analysis, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management" 3 (November), 8-21.
- Mazur, J. (2010), Przeszłość i przyszłość marketingu, Zeszyty Naukowe Kolegium Gospodarki Światowej, 27, 19-42.
- Mehta R., Rosenbloom B. Anderson Rolph E., (2000), The Role of the Sales Manager in Channel Management: Impact of Organizational Variables, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 20 (Spring), 81-88.
- Rajiv M., Anderson Rolph E. Dubas K. Dubinsky Alan J. Liu Sandra S., (1999), How Do Sales Managers Perceive Their Roles, "Journal of Managerial Issues", 11 (Winter), 406-425.
- Morris, M.H., Davis D.L. Allen J.W. Avila R.A. Chapman J.,(1991), Assessing the Relationship Among Performance Measures, Managerial Practices, and Satisfaction When Evaluating the Salesforce: A Replication and Extension, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 11 (Summer), 25-35.
- Piercy, N.F., Cravens D.W. Lane N.,(2009), Sales Management Control Level and Competencies: Antecedents and Consequences, "Industrial Marketing Management", 38 (4), 459-467.
- Prowse, P. Prowse J., (2009), The Dilemma of Performance Appraisal, "Measuring Business Excellence", 13 (4), 69-77.
- Rajput, S. (2010), General Electric Money Performance Appraisal, www.scribd.com (February 19).
- Robbins Stephen P. Coulter M.,(2002), Management, 7th Edition, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Rosenbloom, B. Anderson R. E., (1984), The Sales Manager: Tomorrow's Super Marketer, "Business Horizons", (March-April), 50-56.
- Sauers, D.A., Lin S.C.H. Kennedy J. Schrenkler J., (2009), A Comparison of the Performance Appraisal Practices of US Multinational Subsidiaries with Parent Company and Local Taiwanese Practices, "Management Research News", 32, 286-296.
- Shen, J. (2004), International Performance Appraisals: Policies, Practices and Determinants in the Case of Chinese Multinational Companies, "International Journal of Manpower", 25 (6), 547-563.
- Shepherd, C.D. Ridnour R.E.,(1995), The Training of Sales Managers: An Exploratory Study of Sales Management Training Practices, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 15 (Winter), 69-74.
- Spiro, Rosann L., Rich Gregory A. Stanton William J.,(2008), Management of a Sales Force, 12th Edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Sujan, H. (1986), Smarter Versus Harder: An Exploratory Attributional Analysis of Salespeople's Motivation, "Journal of Marketing Research", 23 (February), 41-49.
- Jeff T. Honeycutt Earl D. Erffmeyer Robert C., (2008), Sales Management, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Tanner, J.F. Castleberry S.B. (1990), Vertical Exchange Quality and Performance: Studying the Role of the Sales Manager, "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management", 10 (Spring), 17-28.
- Tyler, K. (2005), Performance Art, "HR Magazine", 50 (August), 58-63.
- Wotruba, T.R., Simpson E.K. (1992), Sales Management: Text and Cases, Boston: PWS-Kent Publishing Company.
- Yinon, Y., Amsel J. Krausz M., (1991), How Do Managers in Different Levels Explain Their Subordinates' Success and Failures? "Journal of Business arid Psychology" 5 (Summer), 477-487.
- Zallocco, R., Pullins E.B. Mallin M.L,(2009), A Re-Examination of B2B Sales Performance, "Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing", 24, 598-610.