Defining Prosumption for Marketing : Understanding the Nature of Prosumption after the Emergence of Internet-based Social Media
Toffler is credited with the first use of the term prosumption". Since 1980 the name has been widely employed in academic papers. The term "prosumer" is made from "consumer" and "producer" to reflect the vanishing traditional separation between the two categories and their functions. Studies of the relevant literature have shown that there is no common agreement on how the phenomenon should be defined. This paper attempts to develop a clarified theory-grounded definition of prosumption. Analyzis of mainstream and progressive academic literature aims to capture the variety of prosumption phenomenon definitions and its prevailing properties. Moreover, with the emergence of Web 2.0, the phenomenon of prosumption is gaining importance. Academic research of business practices shows that Internet properties empower consumers to become prosumers and that prosumption has found its most favorable place there. Synthesis of the literature studies, supported by examples of business practice, serves as a means to offer a new, comprehensive definition of prosumption. (original abstract)
- Beer, D., Burrows, R. (2007), Sociology and, of and in Web 2.0: Some initial considerations, "Sociological Research Online", Vol. 12 Issue 5, accessed June 20, 2012, http://www.socresonline.org.Uk/12/5/17.html
- Bonsu, S. K., Darmody, A., Parmentier, M.-A. (2010), Arrested emotions in reality television, "Consumption, Markets & Culture", Vol. 13 Issue 1 (March), pp. 91-107 .
- Brabham, D. C. (2010), Moving the crowd at Threadless, "Information, Communication & Society", Vol. 13 Issue (December), pp. 1122-1145.
- Brown, M. (2006), "Snakes on a plane" leaves critics flying blind, The Guardian, August 18, accessed on June 20, 2012, http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/aug/18/film.filmnews
- Caldwell, M.; Kleppe, I. A.; Henry, P. (2007), Prosuming multiple gender role identities: A multi-country written and audio-visual exploration of contemporary young mainstream female achievers, "Consumption, Markets & Culture", Vol. 10 Issue 2 (June), pp. 95-115.
- Chafkin, M. (2008), The customer is the company: How Threadless uses crowdsourcing, Inc., June 01 Issue, accessed June 20,2012, http://www.inc.com/magazine/20080601/the-customer-is-the-company.html Chesbrough, H. (2012), Open innovation, "Research Technology Management", Vol. 55 Issue 4 (July/August), pp. 20-27.
- Cole, S. J. (2011), The prosumer and the project studio: The battle for distinction in the field of music recording, "Sociology", Vol. 45 Issue 3 (June), pp. 447-463.
- Collins, S. (2010), Digital fair, "Journal of Consumer Culture", Vol. 10 Issue 1 (March), pp. 37-55.
- Comor, E. (2011), Contextualizing and critiquing the fantastic prosumer: power, alienation and hegemony, "Critical Sociology", Vol. 37 Issue 3, pp. 309-327.
- Dealbook (2012), Tracking Facebook's valuation, "The New York Times", February 1, accessed June 20, 2012, http://dealbook.nytrnies.com/2012/02/01/tracking-facebooks-valuation/
- Hatch, M. J., Schultz, M. (2010), Toward a theory of brand co-creation with implications for brand governance, "Journal of Brand Management", Vol. 17 Issue 8 (July/August), pp. 590-604.
- Howe, J. (2006a), The rise of crowdsourcing, "Wired", Vol. 14 Issue 6, accessed June 20, 2012, http://www.wired. com/wire d/archive/14.06/crowds.html.
- Howe, J. (2006b), Pure, unadulterated (and scalable) crowdsourcing, June 15, accessed June 20, 2012, http:// crowdsourcing.typepad.com/cs/2006/06/pure_unadultera.html
- Humphreys, A., Grayson, K. (2008), The intersecting roles of consumer and producer: A critical perspective on co-production, co-creation and prosumption, "Sociology Compass", Vol. 2, pp. 963-980.
- Kohler, Th., Fueller, J., Matzler, K., Stieger, D. (2011), Co-creation in virtual worlds: The design of the user experience, "MIS Quarterly", Vol. 35 Issue 3 (September), pp. 773-788.
- Kotier, Ph. (1986), The prosumer movement: A new challenge for marketers, "Advances in Consumer Research", Vol. 13 Issue 1, pp. 510-513.
- Kotier, Ph., Armstrong, G., Wong, V., Saunders J. (2008), Principles of marketing (Fifth European edition), Pearson Education Limited, Essex.
- Lakhani, K. R., Kanji, Z. (2008), Threadless: The business of community, Harvard Business School Case No. 608-707.
- Marshall, G. (2011), Whatever happened to Second Life? Why the hype didn't help - and where SL's headed now, Techradar, September 30, accessed June 20, 2012, http://beta.techradar.com/news/internet/whatever- happened-to-second-life-1030314.
- O'Reilly, T. (2005), Web 2.0: Compact definition?, "O'Reilly radar, October 1, accessed June 20, 2012, http:// radar.oreilly.com/archives/2005/10/web-20-compact-definition.html.
- Oshry.D. (2012), Second Life and Linden Lab may be getting its second wind, VG24/7, March 15, accessed June 20,2012, http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/15/second-life-and-linden-lab-may-be-getting-its-second-wind/
- Prahalad, C.K., Ramaswamy, V. (2000), Co-opting customer competence, "Harvard Business Review", Vol. 78 Issue 1 (January/February), pp. 79-87.
- Prahalad, C.K., Ramaswamy, V. (2002), The co-creation connection, "Strategy+Business", Issue 27 (Spring), accessed June 20,2012, http://www.strategy-business.com/artide/18458?gko=f472b
- Prahalad, C.K., Ramaswamy, V. (2003), The new frontier of experience innovation, "MIT Sloan Management Review", Vol. 44 Issue 4 (Summer), pp. 12-18.
- Prosumer Report: The Second Decade of Prosumerism, 2011, "Prosumer Report", Vol. 10, Euro RSCG Worldwide, accessed June 20, 2012, http://my.eurorscg.com/unprotected/euro/email/2011/static/Prosumerism_ Highlights.jpg.
- Ritzer, G. ( 2010), Focusing on the prosumer: On correcting an error in the history of social theory, Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitat Frankfurt am Main FB Gesellschaftswissenschaften Institut fur Gesell- schafts- und Politikanalyse, conference paper, in Blättel-Mink, B., Hellmann, K.-U., Prosumer revisited: Zur Aktualität einer Debatte (Konsumsoziologie und Massenkultur), VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, Wiesbaden, accessed June 20, 2012, http://www.georgeritzer.com/docs/Focusing%20on%20the%20Prosumer.pdf
- Ritzer G., Jurgenson N. (2010), Production, Consumption, Prosumption: The nature of capitalism in the age of the digital 'prosumer', "Journal of Consumer Culture", Vol. 10 Issue 1 (March), pp. 13-36.
- Surowiecki, J. (2004), The wisdom of crowds: Why the many are smarter than the few and how collective wisdom shapes business, economies, societies, and nations, Doubleday, New York .
- Tapscott D., Williams A. (2008), Wikinomics, Atlantic Books, London.
- Toffler A. ( 1989), The third wave, Bantam Books, New York.
- Vargo, S. L., Lusch, R. F. (2004), Evolving to a new dominant logic for marketing, "Journal of Marketing", Vol. 68 Issue 1 (January), pp. 1-17.
- Vargo, S. L., Lusch, R. F. (2008), Service-dominant logic: continuing the evolution, "Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science", Vol. 36 Issue 1 (Spring), pp. 1-10.
- von Hippel, E. (2005), Democratizing innovation, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Waxman, Sh. (2006), After hype online, "Snakes on a Plane" is letdown at box office, The New York Times, August 21, accessed June 20,2012, http://www.nytimes.eom/2006/08/21/movies/21box.html
- Xie C., Bagozzi R. P., Troye S. V. (2008), Trying to prosume: Toward a theory of consumers as co-creators of value, "Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science" Vol. 36 Issue 1 (Spring), pp. 109-122 .
- Zwick D., Bonsu S.K., Darmody A. (2008), Putting consumers to work: 'Co-creation' and new marketing gov- ern-mentality, "Journal of Consumer Culture", Vol. 8 Issue 2 (June), pp. 163-196.
- Dwell on it, Second Life Charts & Stats, accessed June 20, 2012, http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/sl-statistical- charts/.
- LEGO, accessed June 20, 2012, http://www.lego.com/
- Linden Lab, accessed June 20,2012, http://lindenlab.com/
- LUGNET, accessed June 20,2012, http://www.lugnet.com/
- Moneyslex, Virtual exchange, Daily updated Linden Dollar rates, accessed June 20, 2012, http://www.mon- eyslex.com/exchange_rates.php
- Second Life, accessed June 20, 2012, http://secondlife.com/
- Threadless, accessed June 20,2012, http://www.threadless.com/
- Threadless Meetups Everywhere, accessed June 20,2012, http://www.meetup.com/Threadless/.