An Analysis of Social Campaigns Aimed at Reducing Alcohol Consumption: the Case of Poland
Poland is currently grappling with a challenging situation: as salaries are increasing and more consumers can afford to purchase alcohol, alcoholic consumption in Poland is among the highest in the European Union. Specifically, the market for vodka alone currently stands at $347 million, and beer at $465.2 million. In response to these developments, the Polish government has levied high taxes on alcohol consumption and enacted some of the most stringent advertising laws for alcoholic products in the European Union. It also launched nine national advertising campaigns and a local campaign in the West-Pomeranian region and increased the excise tax on alcohol. The current study attempts to shed light on the campaigns and to offer insights into the different themes that the campaigns use to persuade consumers to limit their alcohol consumption and to act responsibly when consuming alcohol and to offer actionable solutions to change the alcohol-related consumption behavior in Poland through warning labels, health education, and other attempts at demarketing alcohol consumption. The paper also examines alternative venues that might lead to a change in the alcohol-related consumption behavior for Polish consumers, which may include instituting warning labels and other counter advertising to educate the public with regard to alcohol-related risks, and thus curb the overall alcohol consumption and related negative outcomes for the Polish consumers. (original abstract)
- Bennett R. (1998), Shame, Guilt and Responses to Non-Profit and Public Sector Ads, "International Journal of Advertising", 17(4).
- Craig A.J. (1995), The Effectiveness of Alcohol Warning Labels: A Review and Extension, "American Behavioral Scientist", 38 (4).
- Graves K.L. (1993), An Evaluation of the Alcohol Warning Label: A Comparison of the United States and Ontario, Canada in 1990 and 1991, "Journal of Public Policy & Marketing", 12(1).
- Hae-Kyong B. (1998), Analyzing the impact of the liquor industry's lifting of the ban on broadcast advertising, "Journal of Public Policy & Marketing", Spring.
- Hyman M. (2009), Responsible Ads: A Workable Ideal, "Journal of Business Ethics", Vol. 87.
- Layton R.A. (2009), On Economic Growth, Marketing Systems, and the Quality of Life, "Journal of Macromarketing", 29(4).
- MacKinnon D.P. (1993), The Alcohol Warning Label and Adolescents: The First Year, "American Journal of Public Health", 83(4).
- Mazis M.B., Morris L.A., Swasy J.L. (1991), An Evaluation of the Alcohol Warning Label: Initial Survey Results, "Journal of Public Policy & Marketing", 10(1).
- Moore R.S. (2005), The Sociological Impact of Attitudes Toward Smoking: Secondary Effects of the Demarketing of Smoking, "Journal of Social Psychology", 145(6).
- Netemeyer R.G., Durvasula S. (1991), Effects of Consumption Frequency on Believability and Attitudes Toward Alcohol Warning Labels, "Journal of Consumer Affairs", 25(2).
- Ornstein S.I., Hanssens D.M. (1985), Alcohol Control Laws and the Consumption of Distilled Spirits and Beer, "Journal of Consumer Research", Vol. 12 (2).
- Poel P., Gosepa S., Kroes W., Kruis G., Berkhout W. (2010), The Contribution of the Spirits Industry to the EU Economy, December, Amsterdam, the Netherlands: The European Spirits Companies Liaison Group, the European Spirits Organisation - CEPS, Ernst & Young Tax Advisors and Regioplan Policy Research.
- Scammon D.L., Mayer R.N., Smith K.R. (1991), Alcohol Warnings: How Do You Know When You Have Had One Too Many "Journal of Public Policy & Marketing", 10(1).
- World Bank (2011), World Development Indicators, http://data.worldbank.org/data- catalog/world-development-indicators?cid=GPD_WDI). Accessed on 1/15/2011.
- Central Statistical Office 2009, http://www.stat.gov.pl/cps/rde/xbcr/gus/PUBL_oz_maly_rocznik_statystyczny_2009.pdf (10.01.2011).
- www.adopcja.org.pl/1procent.php (2011) (21.05.2011).
- www.browary-polskie.pl (2011), www.browary-polskie.pl/spoleczna/kampanie /szczegoly.php?gid=&eid=20&exd-markupId=5) (18.02.2011).
- www.kampaniespoleczne.pl (2011), (12.05.2011).
- www.money.pl/pieniadze (5.0 1.2011).
- www.pilesniejedz.pl (2010) (12.12.2010).
- www.pilnujdrinka.pl (2011).
- http://www.statystyka.policja.pl. (28.07.2011).
- www.trzezwosc.pl (2011) (5.02.2011).
- www.wiadomosci.gazeta.pl (5.02.2011).
- www.wyhamujwpore.pl (2011) (1.01.2011).