Stress Tests and Liquidity Crisis in the Banking System
The paper´s aim is to contribute to the debate on the impact of stress test on banking system liquidity. Due to the theoretical character of the problem, the used methodology is a set of results from research and theoretical works about how the attempts to increase system solvency could lead into a greater lack of liquidity. (original abstract)
- Abbink J.B. (2011), Constructing stress tests, "Journal of Risk Finance", Vol. 12, Issue 5.
- Acharya V., Yorulmazer T. (2007), Too Many to Fail - An Analysis of Time-Inconsistency in Bank Closure Policies, "Journal of Financial Intermediation", Vol. 16, Issue 1.
- Aikman D., Alessandri P., Eklund B., Gai P., Kapadia S., Martin E., Mora N., Sterne G., Willison M. (2009), Funding liquidity risk in a quantitative model of systemic stability, June, Bank of England, Working Paper, No. 372.
- BBC (2011), German bank Helaba to pull out of stress tests, 13 July, BBC News Business.
- BCBS, Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (2009), Principles for sound stress testing practices and supervision, May, Bank for International Settlements.
- Blum J. (1999), Do bank capital adequacy requirements reduce risks in banking?, "Journal of Banking and Finance", Vol. 23.
- Brunetti C., Di Filippo M., Harris J.H. (2011), Effects of Central Bank Intervention on the Interbank Market during the Subprime Crisis, "Review of Financial Studies", Vol. 24, Issue 6.
- Burke M. (2011), The support given to EU banks is killing the recovery, 17 July, The Guardian.
- Caballero R.J., Krishnamurthy A. (2008), Collective Risk Management in a Flight to Quality Episode, "Journal of Finance", Vol. LXIII, No. 5.
- Cardinali A., Nordmark J. (2011), How informative are Bank Stress Tests?: Bank Opacity in the European Union, Master Thesis in Finance, Lund University.
- Chortareas G., Girardone C., Ventouri A. (2012) Bank supervision, regulation, and efficiency: Evidence from the European Union, "Journal of Financial Stability", Vol. 8, Issue 4.
- Das S. (2011), The EBA Stress Tests - Not the Real Thing, 26 July, Eurointelligence,
- Dash E. (2009), If Its Too Big to Fail, Is It Too Big to Exist?, "New York Times", Week in Review, 20 June,
- Ellsberg D. (1961), Risk, Ambiguity, and the Savage Axioms, "Quarterly Journal of Economics", Vol. 75, No. 4.
- Elul R. (2008), Liquidity Crises, "Business Review", Q2.
- European Banking Authority (EBA) (2011), Eu-Wide Stress Test Aggregate Report, 15 July.
- Financial Stability Board (2011), Policy Measures to Address Systemically Important Financial Institutions, 04 November.
- Finch G., Martinuzzi E., Penty C. (2011), EU Bank Stress Tests Missing Sovereign Defaults Fail to Convince Analysts, 18 July, Bloomberg.
- Freixas X. (1999), Optimal bailout policy, conditionality and constructive ambiguity, 15 December, Financial Market Group Discussion Paper 237, London School of Economics.
- Goodhart C., Huang H. (2000), A Simple Model of an International Lender of Last Resort, "Economic Notes", Vol. 29, Issue 1.
- Gorton, G. and Winton, A. (1995). Bank capital regulation in general equilibrium. Wharton Financial Institutions Centre, Working Paper.
- Holmstrom B., Tirole J. (1998), Private and Public Supply of Liquidity, "Journal of Political Economy", Vol. 106, No 1.
- Hovakimian A., Kane E.J. (2000), Effectiveness of capital regulation at U.S. commercial banks, 1985 to 1994. " Journal of Finance" Vol. 55.
- Micossi S. (2012), Unholy compromise in the eurozone and how to right it, July, CEPS, No. 277.
- Moulton H.G. (1918a), Commercial Banking and Capital Formation: I, "Journal of Political Economy", Vol. 26, No. 5.
- Moulton H.G. (1918b), Commercial Banking and Capital Formation: II, "Journal of Political Economy", Vol. 26, No. 6.
- Moulton H.G. (1918c), Commercial Banking and Capital Formation: III, "Journal of Political Economy", Vol. 26, No. 7.
- Petrella G., Resti A. (2012), Supervisors as Information Producers: Do Stress Tests Reduce Bank Opaqueness?, June, 2nd International Conference of the Financial Engineering and Banking Society (F.E.B.S): Recent Developments in Financial Markets and Banking, London.
- Pisani-Ferry, J., Sapir A. (2010), Banking crisis management in the EU: an early assessment, "Economic Policy", Issue 62.
- Regling K., Watson M. (2010), A Preliminary Report on The Sources of Irelands Banking Crisis, May, Preliminary Report, Commission of Investigation into the Banking Sector in Ireland.
- Rime B. (2001), Capital Requirements and Bank Behaviour: Empirical Evidence for Switzerland, "Journal of Banking and Finance", Vol. 25, Issue 4.
- Rochet J. (1992), Capital requirements and the behavior of commercial banks, "European Economic Review", Vol. 36, Issue 5.
- Saraiva C., Biggadike O. (2010), Euro Falls as Stress Test Results Fail to Alleviate Banking Risk Concern, 24 July.
- Summers B. (1975), Loan commitments to business in United States banking history, "Economic Review", Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- The Financial Times (2011), Not that stressful, 17 July, The Financial Times.
- Van den End J.W. (2010), Liquidity Stress-Tester: A Model for Stress-testing Banks Liquidity Risk, CESifo Economic Studies, Vol. 56, Issue 1.
- Van den End W.A. (2011), Credit and liquidity risk of banks in stress conditions: Analyses from a macro perspective, October, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Groningen.
- Wilson H. (2011), European Banking Authority was hobbled over stress tests, 17 July, The Telegraph.