Trends in IPOs : the Evidence from Financial Markets
This paper deals with the analysis of initial public offerings of shares in terms of their quantity and the amount of capital raised by this form of financing on the world markets. Relevant global developments will be analyzed first, followed by a description of regional situation. The analysis is based on secondary data which are processed by descriptive statistics methods. The analysis of IPO trends on the world markets indicates that, in the period of 2004-2007, IPO-based financing of corporate growth gained in importance on both developed and emerging markets. The IPO segment was dominated by the largest emerging markets (Brazil, Russia, India and China) and at the same time the US American and Western European markets decline in their importance. The world-wide economic crisis of 2008 suppressed the interest in new IPOs, particularly in the developed economies. As the economy of most countries is beginning to revive, the interest in the IPO approach from businesses and investors is on the rise. It can be expected that, in the next few years, the arena of initial public offerings will be dominated by visionary companies operating on emerging markets where the execution of an IPO will constitute the key element in securing the capital essential for further expansion. (original abstract)
- Alti A. (2005), IPO Market Timing. Austin: University of Texas, http://www2.mccombs.utexas.edu/faculty/aydogan.alti/Research/ipo.pdf (2013-15-03).
- Baker M., Wurgler, J. (2000), The equity share in new issues and aggregate stock returns, "Journal of Finance", Vol. 55.
- Blum R. (2011), IPO Timing Determinants. Durham, North Carolina: Duke University, Honors thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for Graduation with Distinction in Economics in Trinity College of Duke University.
- Benninga S., Helmantel M., Sarig O. (2005), The timing of initial public offerings, "Journal of Financial Economics", Vol. 75.
- Brau J.C., Fawcett S.E. (2006), Initial Public Offerings: An Analysis of Theory and Practise. "Journal of Finance", Vol. 61, No 1.
- Burgstaller J. (2003), When and why do Austrian companies issue shares?. Linz: Johannes Kepler University. Working Paper No. 0503, http://www.economics.uni-linz.ac.at/papers/2005/wp0503.pdf, (2013-15-03).
- Ernst & Young (2012), Global IPO Trends 2012, http://www.ey.com/GL/en/ Services/Strategic-Growth-Markets/Global-IPO-trends-2012--Eight-IPO-trends-towatch-in-2012 (2012-12-12).
- Ernst & Young (2011), Global IPO Trends 2011, http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/Global-IPO-trends_2011/$FILE/Global%20IPO%20trends%202011.pdf (2011-09-11).
- Ernst & Young (2010), Global IPO Trends 2010, http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY_Global_IPO_Trends_2010/$FILE/E Global_IPO_Trends_2010.pdf (2010-08-10).
- Ernst & Young (2009), Shifting landscape - Are you ready? Global IPO Trends Report 2009, http://www.ey.com/GL/en/Newsroom/News-releases/Media--Press-Release--Ernst--Young-launches-Global-IPO-trends-report-2009 ( 2009-06-05).
- Ernst & Young (2008), Growth during economic uncertainty: Global IPO Trends Report 2008, http://www.ey.com/global/content.nsf/International/SGM_IPO_Trends_2008 (2008-06-02).
- Ernst & Young (2007), Globalization: Global IPO Trends Report 2007, http://www.ey.com/Global/Assets.nsf/Russia_E/Global_IPO_Trends_Report_Final_Report_v2/$file/Global_IPO_Trends_Report_Final_Report_v2.pdf (2007-09-18).
- Ibbotson R.G., Jaffe J.J. (1975), 'Hot issue' markets, "Journal of Finance", Vol. 30, No. 4.
- Loughran T., Ritter J.R. (1995), The New Issues Puzzle, "Journal of Finance", Vol. 50, No. 1, 23-51.
- Loughran T., Ritter J.R., Rydqvist K. (1994), Initial Public Offerings: International Insight, "Pacific-Basin Finance Journal", Vol. 2.
- Lowry M., Schwert G. . (2002), IPO Market Cycles: Bubbles or Sequential Learning? "Journal of Finance", Vol. 67, No. 3.
- Pagano, M., & Panetta, F., & Zingales, L. (1998), Why do companies go public: An empirical analysis, "Journal of Finance", Vol. 53.
- Paleari S. et al. (2008), Academic EurIPO Fact Book 2008, Bergamo: Universoft.
- Paleari S. et al. (2009). Academic EurIPO Fact Book 2009, Bergamo: Universoft.
- Paleari S. et al. (2010). Academic EurIPO Fact Book 2010, Bergamo: Universoft.
- Ritter J.R. (1984), The 'Hot Issue' Market of 1980, "Journal of Business" Vol. 57, No. 2, 215-240.
- Ritter J.R., Welch I. (2002), A review of IPO activity, pricing, and allocations, "Journal of Finance", Vol. 57, No. 4.
- Snieska V., Venckuviene V. (2011), Hybrid Venture Capital Funds in Lithuania: Motives, Factors and Present State of Development, "Inzinerine Ekonomika-Engineering Economics", Vol. 22, No. 2.