Influence of Superior-subordinate Communication on Employee Satisfaction
The paper concentrates on the review of the research carried out in the field of the relation between superior-subordinate communication in a company and its influence on employee job satisfaction in the last decade. The purpose of the paper has been to identify the possibilities of further research in that field in Poland. International research confirms direct and strong impact of good superiorsubordinate communication on employee satisfaction. In future studies in that field a qualitative component should be included as the studies carried so far were primarily correlational. Implications for further research in Poland cover checking Motivating Language Theory in Polish environment, directionality of behaviours, how employees form their perception on communication satisfaction, influence of gender on the perception of employee satisfaction and on managerial communication competence. (original abstract)
- Albrecht, S., Travalione, A. (2003), "Trust in Public-Sector senior Management", International Journal of HRM, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 76-92.
- American Heritage® Dictionary, available at: http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/ (accessed 23rd September 2010).
- Avtgis, T. A., Taber, K. R. (2006), " 'I laughed so hard my side hurts, or is that an ulcer?' The influence of work humour on job stress, job satisfaction, and burnout among print media employees", Communication Research Reports, Vol. 23, pp. 13-18.
- Barling, J., Wade, B., Fullagar, C. (1990), "Predicting Employee Commitment to Company and Union: Divergent Models", Journal of Occupational Psychology, Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 49-63.
- Bovee C.L., Thill K. V. (2000), Business Communication Today - 6th ed., Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Brooke, P.P., Price, J.L. (1989) "The Determinants of Employee Absenteeism: An Empirical Test of a Causal Model" Journal of Occupational Psychology, Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 1-19.
- Byrne, Z. S., LeMay, E. (2006), "Different Media for Organizational Communication: Perceptions of Quality and Satisfaction", Journal of Business and Psychology, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 149-173.
- Cabrita, J. and Perista, H. (2007), "Measuring job satisfaction in surveys - comparative analytical report", European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Condition, available at: http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/ewco/reports/TN0608TR01/TN0608TR01.pdf
- Castaneda, M., and Nahavandi, A. (1991), "Link of manager behaviour to supervisor performance rating and subordinate satisfaction", Group & Organization Management, Vol. 16, pp. 357-366.
- Claude, G. (1972), History of Management Thought, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Downs, C.W., Clampitt, P., Pfeiffer, A. (1988), "Communication and Organizational Outcomes" in Goldhaber G., Barnett G. (Eds.), Handbook of Organizational Communication, Ablex, Norwood, NJ, pp. 171-121.
- Downs, C.W., Hain, T. (1982), "Communication and Productivity" in Burgoon M. (Ed.) Communication Yearbook, Transaction Books, New Brunswick, NJ, pp. 435-471.
- Drucker P. (1974), Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices. Harper and Row, New York.
- Elçi, M., Alpkan, L. (2009), "The Impact of Perceived Organizational Climate on Work Satisfaction", Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 84, pp.297-311.
- Firescu, V. (2008), "Determinants for Work Satisfaction and the Loyalty of the Employees - a Representative Model for the Students of the Faculty of Machines Building in Cluj-Napoca", Revista de Management şi Inginerie Economică, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 83-96.
- Goldhaber, G.M., et al (1978), "Organizational Communication: 1978 (state of the art)", Human Communications Research, Vol. 5, pp.76-96.
- Goris, J.R., Vaught, B.C., Pettit, J.D. Jr. (2003), "Effects of Trust in Superiors and Influence of Superiors on the association Between Individual-Job Congruence and Job Performance/Satisfaction", Journal of Business and Psychology, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 327-343.
- Goris, J.R., Vaught, B.C., Pettit, J.D. Jr., (2000), "Effects of Communication Direction on Job Performance and Satisfaction: A Moderated Regression Analysis", The Journal of Business Communication, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 348-368.
- Hall, R. J., and Lord, R. G. (1995), "Multi-level information-processing explanations of followers' leadership perceptions", The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 6, pp. 265-281.
- Hilgerman, R. (1998), "Communication satisfaction, goal setting, job satisfaction, concretive control, and effectiveness in self-managed teams", Dissertation Abstracts International, Vol. 59, p.1661.
- Holladay, S. J., and Coombs, W. T. (1993), "Communication visions: An exploration of the role of delivery in the creation of leader charisma", Management Communication Quarterly, Vol. 6, pp. 405-427.
- Johlke, M.C., Duhan D.F. (2001), "Testing Competing Models of Sales Force Communication", Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, Vol. 3, pp. 265-277.
- Kim, S. (2002), "Participative Management and Job Satisfaction: Lessons for Management Leadership", Public Administration Review, Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 231-241.
- Kramer M. (2001), Business Communication in Context, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Lambert, E. G., et al., (2002), "The Impact of Instrumental Communication and Integration on Correctional", Justice Professional, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 181-193.
- Locke, E. A. (1976), "The Nature and Causes of Job Satisfaction", in M. D. Dunnette (Ed.), Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Rand McNally, Chicago, pp. 1297-1349.
- Madlock, P. (2008), "The Link Between Leadership Style, Communicator Competence and Employee Satisfaction", Journal of Business Communication, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 61-78.
- Madlock, P. E. (2006), "Do differences in displays of nonverbal immediacy and communicator competence between male and female supervisors affect subordinates' job satisfaction?", Ohio Communication Journal, Vol. 44, pp. 61-78.
- Madlock, P. E. and Kennedy-Lightsey, C. (2010), "The Effects of Supervisors' Verbal Aggressiveness and Mentoring on their Subordinates", Journal of Business Communication, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 42-62.
- Mayfield M., Mayfield J., Kopf J. (1998), "The Effects of Leader Motivating Language on Subordinate Performance and Satisfaction", Human Resource Management, Vol. 37, No. 3,4, pp. 235-248.
- Mayfield M., Mayfield, J., (2006), "The Benefits of Leader Communication on Parttime Worker Outcomes: A Comparison between Part-time and Full-time Employees Using Motivating Language", The Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 131-153.
- Mayfield, M., Mayfield, J., (2009), "The Role of Leader-Follower Relationships in Leader Communication: The Test Using the LMX and Motivating Language Models", Journal of Business Enquiry.
- Mintzberg H. (1990), "Retrospective Commentary [to The Manager's Job: Folklore and Fact]", Harvard Business Review, Vol. 68, No. 2, pp. 163-176.
- Muchinsky, P.M. (1977), "Organizational Communication: Relationships to Organizational Climate and Job Satisfaction", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 20, pp.592-807.
- Orpen, Ch., (1997), "The Interactive Effects of Communication Quality and Job Involvement on Managerial Job Satisfaction and Work Motivation", Journal of Psychology, Vol. 131, No. 5, pp. 519-522.
- Pavitt, C. (1999), "Theorizing about the group communication-leadership relationship: Input-process-output and functional model", in L. R. Frey, D. S. Gouran, and M. S. Poole (Eds.), The Handbook of Group Communication Theory and Research, Sage, Thousand Oaks, pp. 313-334.
- Phillipe, T. W., Helping, S. and Koehler, J.W. (2009), "Managerial Communications That Significantly Affect Employees' Perceptions", Review of Business Research, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 51-56.
- Pincus, J. D. (1986), "Communication Satisfaction, Job Satisfaction and Job Performance", Human Communication Research, Vol. 12, pp. 395-419.
- Pincus, J. D., Knip, J.E., Rayfield, R.E. (1990), "Internal Communication and Job Satisfaction Revisited: The Impact of Organizational trust and Influence of Commercial Bank Supervisors" in Gruning J. and Gruning L. (Eds.), Public Relations Research Annual, Laurence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, pp. 173-191.
- Postmes, T., Tanis, M. and de Wit, B. (2001), "Communication and commitment in organizations: A social identity approach", Group Processes & Intergroup Relations, Vol. 4, pp. 227-246.
- Putti, JM., Aryee, S., Phua, J. (1990), "Communication Relationship, Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment", Group and Organization Studies, Vol. 15, pp. 44-52.
- Ray, E. B., Miller, K. I. (1994), "Social support: Home/work stress and burnout: Who can help?", Journal of Applied Behavioural Science, Vol. 30, pp. 357-373.
- Richmond, V. P., McCroskey, J. C. (2000), "The impact of supervisor and subordinate immediacy on relational and organizational outcomes", Communication Monographs, Vol. 67, pp. 85-95.
- Richmond, V. P., McCroskey, J. C., Davis, L. M. and Koontz, K. A. (1980), "Perceived power as a mediator of management style and employee satisfaction: A preliminary investigation", Communication Quarterly, Vol. 28, pp. 37-46.
- Robbins S.P. (2005), Organizational Behaviour, 11th ed., Pearson Education, New Jersey.
- Rose, M. (2001), "Disparate measures in the workplace...Quantifying overall job satisfaction", Paper presented at the 2001 BHPS Research Conference, Colchester, available at: http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/bhps/2001/docs/pdf/papers/rose.pdf
- Sharbrough, W. C., Simmons, S.A. and Cantrill, D.A. (2006), "Motivating Language in Industry. Its Impact on Job Satisfaction and Perceived Superior Effectiveness", Journal of Business Communication, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 322-343.
- Sollund, R. (2006), "Mechanistic versus Organic Organization's Impact on Immigrant Women's Work satisfaction and Occupational Mobility", Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 287-307.
- Sousa-Poza, A. and Sousa-Poza, A.A. (2000), "Well-being at work: a cross-national analysis of the levels and determinants of job satisfaction", Journal of Socio-Economics, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 517-538.
- Spector, P.E. (1997), Job satisfaction: Application, assessment, causes, and consequences, Sage, London.
- Stan, S., Landry, T. D., Evans, K. R., (2004), "Boundary Spanners' Satisfaction with Organizational Support Services: An Internal Communications Perspective", Journal of Relationship Marketing, Vol. 3, 2, No. 3, pp. 43-63.
- Sullivan, J. (1988), "Three Roles of Language in Motivation Theory", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 13, pp. 104-115.
- Taylor, F. W. (1970), "What is scientific management?", in H. F. Merrill (Ed.), Classics in management, American Management Association, New York, pp. 67-71.
- Tett, R.P., Meyer J.P. (1993), "Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, turnover intention, and Turnover: Path Analyses Based on Meta-Analytic Findings", Personnel Psychology, Vol. 46, No 2, pp. 259-253.
- Timm P.R., Stead J.A. (1996), Communication Skills for Business and Professions, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Treece M., Kleen B.A. (1998), Successful Business Communication, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Young, M., Post, J. (1993), "Managing to Communicate, Communicating to Manage: How Leading Companies Communicate with Employees", Organizational Dynamics, Vol. 22, pp. 31-33.
- Zeffane, R. (2009), "Pride and Commitment in Organizations: Exploring the Impact of Satisfaction and Trust Climate", Management of Organizations, pp. 163-176.
- Zientara, P. and Kuczyński, G. (2009), "Human Resources Practices and Work-Related Attitudes in Polish Public Administration", Eastern European Economics, Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 42-60.