Risk and Uncertainty in Construction and Investment Projects for Infrastructure Development of the City of Wroclaw in the Face of Poland's Preparations for the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship - Case Study
The goal of the paper was to present a case study of the preparations for the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship in Poland, and especially in Wrocław, in order to help the managers of similar multiproject undertakings in the future to manage more effectively the risk and to reduce to uncertainty linked to such projects. In the moment the paper is written, the preparations are on their way, and we already have had some difficult, but valuable experience. Several problems occurred which were threatening the success of the projects conducted in the framework of the preparations, several problems can still be expected in the basis of the experience. The problems from the past had to be solved somehow, the problems to be expected have to be managed also - all this may constitute valuable advice for similar projects in the future. To sum up the main problems that have been identified so far in the projects conducted in the framework of the preparations for the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship, we have to emphasize the legal problems. The law as it was formulated in the legal acts before the beginning of the preparations would have made them nearly impossible to be accomplished. Thus, several modifications had to be introduced. Also later the human nature which makes some people use the "holes" in legal acts for their personal advantage blocked the projects realization for a considerable period of time, which in case of projects which simply have to be finished in time, because otherwise we face a real disaster, is a very serious problem. The disputes concerned above all the land ownership and the bidding results. The long legal procedures of considering the appeals, the expropriation etc. were a real nuisance. Also it happened that a construction company which won the bidding did not accomplish what it was supposed to, thus we faced the necessity of changing a company, which made it necessary to deal with a an "empty" period where a new company had to be selected and the construction site had to be handed over. We hope that the present paper will allow other project managers to learn from the lesson our country and city has been going through at the moment and that the painful learning process we have been experiencing will be of use to someone else. (fragment of text)
- Accommodation facilities in Wrocław. Official data placed on the Internet portal Wrocław 2012. www.e2012.eu/index.php
- Bliszczuk J., Onysyk J. (2009), Bridges of Lower Silesia, Cable-Stayed Bridge Along the Route of the Wrocław Motorway Ring Road. Newsletter of Związek Mostowców Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej, Lower Silesian Section 5/2009.
- Egis Poland, Egis Route, Bridges of Lower Silesia, (2009), The Construction of A-8 Wrocław Motorway Ring Road. Newsletter of Związek Mostowców Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej, Lower Silesian Section 5/2009.
- Graczewska-Ivanowa E. (2009), PL 2012 Company Will Inspect the State of Preparations for the Championship. "Gazeta Prawna", March 4, No. 44, p. E7.
- Jaraszek A. (2009), EURO 2012: The Owners Will No Longer Obstruct Investment Projects. "Dziennik Gazeta Prawna", No. 202, October 15, p. B8.
- Mostostal Warszawa. Report No. 1, April 4, 2010. The information about the receipt of statement about the contract of significant value termination.
- Mostostal Warszawa. Report No. 13 on concluding a significant contract on April 15, 2009.
- National Road Construction Program for the years 2008-2012, (2007), Annex of the Act by the Council of Ministers of September 25, No. 163/2007.
- National Road Construction Program for the years 2008- 2012, (2007), Annex of the Act by the Council of Ministers of September 25, No. 163/2007.
- Report on the preparations for UEFA EURO 2012. EURO 2012 Office of the City's Office in Wrocław, April, 2009.
- Report on the state of preparations for UEFA EURA 2012 in Wrocław. The EURO 2012 Office of the City's Office, December, 2009.
- Szczepaniuk M. (2009), EURO 2012: Poland Only Manages to Build Stadiums. "Gazeta Prawna", April 17-19, No. 75, p. A2.
- The Act by the Council of Ministers of October 12, 2007. "Journal of Laws" No. 192, item 1385.
- The Act of August 28, 2009 on the Amendment of the Act on Preparation of the Final Tournament of the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship as well as other Acts. "Journal of Laws", No. 161, item 1281.
- The Act on Preparation of the Final Tournament of the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship. September 7, 2007 with later amendments. "Journal of Laws" No. 173, item 1219.
- The Act on Real Property Management. September 21, 1997, (2004), "Journal of Laws" No. 261, item 2603, with later amendments.
- The Act on the Amendment to the Act on Preparation of the Final Tournament of the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship April 3. "Journal of Laws" No. 68, item 575.
- The announcement made by Supreme Audit Office after finishing the audit. (2009), Representation in Wrocław, January 30, P/08/175; LWR-41043-2/2008.
- The inspection of the preparations for UEFA EURO 2012. The EURO 2012 of the City's Office in Wrocław. April 2009.
- Trochymiuk B. (2009), Railway Construction Projects for EURO 2012 Implemented According to Schedule. "Gazeta Prawna" March 26, No. 60, p. B6. (Inwestycje kolejowe na EURO 2012 są realizowane zgodnie z planem).
- www.2012.org.pl - an official portal of the coordinator and overseer of preparation undertakings for Euro 2012 in Poland.
- www.obwodnica-wrocławia.pl - an official portal of the Project Wrocław Motorway Ring Road.