European Investors and Land Acquisitions in Sub-Saharan Africa
The article examines the European share in large-scale land acquisitions in Sub-Saharan Africa. The paper aims to identify correlation between biofuels policy and large-scale land acquisitions in Sub-Saharan Africa and the consequences of this phenomenon. It first identifies the backgrounds that caused the increased interest in biofuel production and, consequently, African land acquisition in recent years. Then, it examines growth in the number of land transactions that take place on the continent. Finally, the paper investigates the share of European capital in land transactions. The last section outlines the consequences of this phenomenon and provides a set of recommendations to address land policies in African developing countries. (original abstract)
- Assessing the impact of biofuels production on developing countries from the point of view of Policy Coherence for Development, Contract N° 2012/299193, FWC COM 2011 - Lot 1 - Studies and Technical Assistance in all Sectors, Final report. : European Commission. Brussels. p.71.
- Assumptions in the European Union biofuels policy: frictions with experiences in Germany, Brazil and Mozambique. . Franco J., Levidow L., Fig D., Goldfarb L., Hönicke M., Mendonça M.L. Journal of Peasant Studies, 37(4), p. 661-698.
- Biofuels and food security. : A report by the High Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition of the Committee on World Food Security, Rome 2013. HLPE. p.
- Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates. .
- Hertel T.W. (ed.), Tyner W.E., Birur D.K. GTAP Working Paper No. 51. Center for Global Trade Analysis. Department of Agricultural Economics. Purdue University. p. 27-28.
- BP : Statistical Review of World Energy. http://www.bp.com/statisticalreview. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- Carrington D., Valentino S. : Biofuels boom in Africa as British firms lead rush on land for plantations. The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/may/31/biofuel-plantations-africa-british-firms. [Retrieved October 29, 2013].
- Chonghaile C.N. : Ethiopia's resettlement scheme leaves lives shattered and UK facing questions. The Guardian.
- Cotula L. : Land deals in Africa: What is in the contracts? IIED. London. p. 1.
- Directive 2009/28/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable resources and amending and subsequently repealing Directives 2001/77/EC and 2003/30/EC. : European Parliament. p. 28-36.
- Directive 2003/30/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 8 May 2003 on the promotion of the use of biofuels or other renewable fuels for transport. : European Parliament. p. 45.
- Doing Business 2013. Smarter Regulations for SME. : World Bank.
- EU Biofuels Annual 2013. . Flach B., Bendz K., Krautgartner R. and Lieberz S. GAIN. p.18.
- http://www.duedil.com/company/06858479/crest-global-green-energy-limited. [Retrieved April 10, 2013.]
- http://www.gleinol.pt/401.html. [Retrieved March 10, 2013.]
- http://www.grain.org/. [Retrieved April 10, 2013.]
- Land Grab study. . Graham A., Aubry S., Künnemann R., Monsalve Suárez S. FIAN. p. 17.
- Land Grab? The Race for the World's Farmland. . Kugelman M., Levenstein S.L. IFPRI. p. 1.
- Land tenure and international investments in agriculture. A report by the High Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition of the Committee on World Food Security. : HLPE. Rome. p.20.
- Land Matrix database. http://landportal.info/landmatrix/get-the-detail/by-target-region. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2013. : OECD Publishing.
- Proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Directive 98/70/EC relating to the quality of petrol and diesel fuels and amending Directive 2009/28/EC on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources. COM(2012) 595 final. : European Commission. Brussels. p. 14.
- Quifel International Holdings in Sierra Leone. Understanding land investment deals in Africa. : Oakland Institute.
- Renewable Ethanol in the European Union. ePURE. Brussels. p.2.
- Résultats 2012. : Bolloré.
- Rising Global Interest in Farmland: Can it yield equitable and sustainable benefits? . Deininger K., Byerlee D., Lindsay J., Norton A., Selod H. and Stickler M. The World Bank. P. XXV.
- Scherer C. : Despite Drop from 2009 Peak, Agricultural Land Grabs Still Remain Above Pre-2005 Levels. Worldwatch Institute.http://blogs.worldwatch.org/nourishingtheplanet/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Land-Grabs-VSO-Press-Release_FINAL.pdf.[Retrieved October 21, 2013]. p.1. Technology Roadmap. Bioenergy for Heat and Power. : International Energy Agency.
- Transnational Land Deals for Agriculture in the Global South. Analytical report based on the Land Matrix Database. . Anseeuw W., Boche M., Breu T., Giger M., Lay J., Messerli P. and Nolte K. Bern/Montpellier/Hamburg. p. 19.
- Understanding land investment deals in Africa. Country reports: Mali, Tanzania, Sierra Leone, Mozambique, South Sudan. : Oakland Institute.