Coopetition and Internationalization of a Company - the Case of Firms in the Wielkopolska Voivodeship
Cooperation and competition as organizational relationships or interactions between two or more organizations have been traditionally perceived as opposites. Behaviour of enterprises has been changing and one can notice that more and more organizations are involved in these two types of relations simultaneously. This paradoxical phenomenon is named as coopetition. The paper focuses on coopetition and internationalization of a company. Coopetition is a multi-dimensional and multi-faceted phenomenon. In this study, the author attempts to identify the interdependencies between the intensity of coopetition and internationalization of a company. On the basis of literature review the author highlights the theoretical background of the concept of coopetition and conceptualizes the term of coopetition. There are proposed three indicators which can be used in order to assess the intensity of coopetition. The theoretical part of the paper is accompanied by the presentation of the results of empirical research which was conducted among fifty two manufacturing and construction companies involved at least in export as an internationalization strategy and located in Wielkopolska. It is located in the western part of Poland and belongs to the best economically prosperous regions in Poland. (original abstract)
- 1. Afuah, A. (2000), How much does your coopetitiors' capabilities matter in the face of technological change, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 21, no 3, Special Issue.
- 2. Albaum G., Strandskov J., Duerr E., Dowd L. , International Marketing and Export Management, Addison-Wesley, New York.
- 3. Bengtsson, M., Hinttu, S., Kock, S., (2003), Relationship of Cooperation and Competition between Competitors, Work-in-Progress Paper submitted to the 19th Annual IMP Conference, September 4-6, 2003, Lugano, Switzerland.
- 4. Brandenburger A.M., Nalebuff B.J., (1996), Co-opetition, New York, Doubleday.
- 5. Brandenburger, A.M. and Stuart S., (1996), Value-based business strategy, Journal of Economics and Business Strategy, Vol. 5, no 1, 5-14.
- 6. Dagnino, G.B. and Padula, G., (2002), Coopetition Strategy. A New Kind of Interfirm Dynamics for Value Creation, Paper presented at EURAM - the European Academy of Management, Second Annual Conference - "Innovative Research in Management", Stockholm, 9th-11th May 2002
- 7. Fjeldstadt, O. D., Becerra, M. and Narayanan, S., (2004). Strategic Action in Network Industries: An Empirical Analysis of the European Mobile Phone Industry, Scandinavian Journal of Management, Vol. 20, no 1-2, 173-196.
- 8. Garcia, R., Atkin, T., (2005), Co-opetition for the Diffusion of Resistant Innovations: A Case Study in the Global Wine Industry, Institute for Global Innovation Management, Working Paper No: 05-002.
- 9. Geringer J.M., Beamish P.W., da Costa R.C. , Diversification Strategy and Internationaliztion: Implications for MNE Performance, "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 10, no 2, p. 109-119.
- 10. Greek, P.E., Tull, D.S. and Album, G., (1988), Research for marketing decisions, Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall.
- 11. Jankowska, B. (2009), Coopetition and International Competitiveness of SME - The Case of Companies from One Region in Poland, in: Marketing and entrepreneurship - Ankara: Ankara University, p. 656-665.
- 12. Ketchen, D., Snow, C. and Hoover, V., (2004), Research on competitive dynamics: Recent
- 13. Pierścionek, Z., (2007), Strategie konkurencji i rozwoju przedsiębiorstwa (Competitive strategies of firms), Warszawa, PWN.
- 14. Parker, H., (2000), Interfirm Collaboration and the New Product Development Process, Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 100, no 6, 255-260.
- 15. Porter, M.E. (2000), 'Location, Competition and Economic Development: Local Clusters in a Global Economy', Economic Development Quarterly, Vol. 14, no. 1, 15-34.
- 16. Statistical Yearbook for the Republic of Poland 2008, GUS (The Main Statistical Office in Poland), Warszawa.
- 17. Zerbini, F., Castalado, S., (2007), Stay in or get out the Janus? The maintenance of multiplex relationships between buyers and sellers, Industrial marketing Management, Vol. 36, no 7, 941-954.