The Polish LFS : a Rotating Panel with Attrition
No analysis of panel attrition in the Polish LFS exists in the literature. This paper aims to partly fill this gap in three ways. First, it reckons that attrition amounted to about 6.5% in the years 1995-'96. Secondly, the paper shows that panel attrition can cause biased estimates of transitions among labour market statuses, leading, in particular, to underestimate the extent of numerical flexibility. Thirdly, this paper shows that albeit limited in the PLFS case, panel attrition is systematic. (fragment of text)
- Adamchik, Vera, and King, Arthur E., The Impact of the Private Sector on Labour Market Flows in Poland. Lehigh University, mimeo, 1999. Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
- Aghion, Philippe, and Blanchard, Olivier J., On the Speed of Transition in Central Europe. In: NBER Macroeconomics Annual, pp. 283-320,1994. The MIT Press.
- Arulampalam, Wiji, Booth, Alison L., and Mark, P. Taylor, Unemployment Persistence. "Oxford Economic Papers", 52, 1:24-50, January 2000.
- Barbone, Luca, Marchetti, Domenico J. and Paternostro, Stefano, The Early Stages of Reform in Polish Manufacturing. Structural adjustment, Ownership and Size. "The Economics of Transition", 7, 1:157-177, March 1999.
- Blanchard, Olivier J., Transition in Poland. The Economic Journal, 104,4:1169-1177. September 1994.
- Boeri, Tito, Labour Market Flows and the Persistence of Unemployment in Central and Eastern Europe. In Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Unemployment in Transition Countries: Transient or Persistent?, pp. 13-56. Paris: OECD, 1994.
- Boeri, Tito, and Sziraczki, Gyorgy, Labour Market Developments and Policies in Central and Eastern Europe: A Comparative Analysis. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Structural Change in Central and Eastern Europe: Labour Market and Social Policy Implications. Paris: OECD, 1993.
- Clark, Kim B., and Summers, Lawrence H., The Dynamics of Youth Unemployment. In Freeman, Richard B. and Wise David A., Eds., The Youth Labour Market Problem: Its Nature, Causes and Consequences, pp. 199-235. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1982.
- Dex, Shirley, and McCullock, Andrew, The reliability of Retrospective Unemployment History data, Working Paper No. 17. Colchester: University of Essex/ISER, 1997.
- Dolton, Peter J., Lindeboom Marteen, and Van den Berg Gerard J., Survey Non-response and Unemployment Duration, Discussion paper No 1303. IZA, September 2004.
- Dyker, David A., The Computer and Software Industries in the East European Economies - A Bridgehead to the Global Economy?, Discussion Paper No 27. Brighton: University of Sussex/STEEP, February 1996.
- Estrin, Samuel, Schaffer, Mark E., and Singh, Inderjit J., The Provision of Social Benefits in State-Owned, Privatised and Private Firms in Poland, Discussion Paper No 223. London: LSE/CEP, February 1995.
- Filer, Randall K, and Hanousek, Jan, Data Watch: Research data from Transition Economies, "Journal of Economic Perspectives", 2002, forthcoming.
- Favro-Paris, Maria, Gennari, Pietro, and Oneto, Gianpaolo, La durata della disoccupazione in Italia: un'applicazione della struttura longitudinale dell'indagine sulle forze di lavoro. Quaderni di ricerca ISTAT, 1, 4:1-79, 1996.
- Góra, Marek (1994), Labour Market Policies in Poland. In Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Unemployment in Transition Countries: Transient or Persistent? Paris: OECD, 1994.
- Góra, Marek and Lehmann, Hartmuth, How Divergent is Regional Labour Market Adjustment in Poland? Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, The Regional Dimension of Unemployment in Transition Countries. A Challenge for Labour Market and Social Policies. Paris: OECD, 1995.
- Góra, Marek, Kotowska, Irena, Panek, Tomasz, and Podgorski, Jan, Poland: Labour Market Trends and Policies. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Structural Change in Central and Eastern Europe: Labour Market and Social Policy Implications. Paris: OECD, 1993.
- Hsiao, Cheng, Analysis of Panel Data. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1986.
- Johnston, Jack, and Di Nardo, John, Econometric Methods. New York: McGraw Hill, 1997.
- Kemp, Gordon C. R., The Use of Panel Data in Econometric Analysis: a Survey, Working Paper No 4. Colchester: University of Essex/ISER, 1991.
- Laurie, Heather, Smith Rachel and Scott Lynne, Strategies for Reducing Non-response in a Longitudinal Panel Survey. Working Paper No 12. Colchester: University of Essex/ISER, 1997.
- Lehmann Hartmut, and Wadsworth Jonathan, Tenures that Shook the World: Worker Turnover in Russia, Poland and Britain. "Journal of Comparative Economic", 28, 4:639-664. December 2000.
- Lindeboom Marteen and Van den Berg Gerard J., Attrition in panel survey data and the estimation of multi-state labor market models. "Journal of Human Resources" 33, 458-478, 1998
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Unemployment in Transition Countries: Transient or Persistent? Paris: OECD, 1994.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Economic Surveys: Poland. Paris:OECD, 1997.
- Paull, Gillien, Dynamic Labour Market Behaviour in the British Household Panel Survey: The Effect of Recall Bias and Panel Attrition, Discussion paper No 10. London: LSE/CEP, 1996.
- Pinto, Brian, Belka, Marek and Krajewski, Stefan, Transforming State Enterprises in Poland: Evidence on Adjustment by Manufacturing Firms. "Brookings Papers on Economic Activity", 1: 213-70, 1993.
- Sestito, Paolo, Misurazione dell'offerta di lavoro e tasso di disoccupazione, Temi di discussione del Servizio Studi No 132. Rome: Banca d'Italia, March 1990.
- Socha, Mieczysław, and Sztanderska, Urszula (1997), Employment and Labour Market Policies in Poland, University of Warsaw, mimeo.
- Socha, Mieczysław, and Weisberg, Jacob, Poland in Transition: Labour Market Data Collection. "Monthly Labour Review", 122, 9: 9-21, September 1999.
- Svejnar, Jan, Labour Markets in the Transitional Central and East European Economies. In: Ashenfelter, Orley C., and Card, David (eds.), Handbook of Labour Economics, vol. 3B, Ch. 42, pp. 2807-2857. Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1999.
- Witkowski, Jan, and Szarkowski, Arthur (1994), The Polish Labour Force Survey. In: Chernyshev, Igor, Ed., Labour Statistics for a Market Economy. Challenges and Solutions in the Transition Countries of Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Budapest: Central European University Press, 1994.