Development of Banking Sectors in Kosovo and Montenegro in the Years 2000-2010
The article presents main aspects of the development of banking markets in two Balkan countries - Kosovo and Montenegro. Both of them are cha-raterised by similar recent history, both in political and economical fields. Their financial sectors had to be built almost from scratch. The author describes the stages of development of competition in the banking sectors, using the following ratios: performace, structure, liquidity. The data is based on the information achieved from Kosovar and Montenegral central banks. Comparison of their achievements are presented on the pentagon adopted from macroeconomy stability pentagon, introduced in Poland by Institute for Market, Consumption and Business Cycles Research. The long way from centrally planned economy to market economy, in both countries, in both political and financial aspects has resulted in a successful transformation. The growing economic strength in Kosovo and Montenegro will allow their financial institutions to improve their performance and expand their activities in the future. (original abstract)
- Banking sector in South East Europe (2008), Research Release, Erste Bank, Vienna, 19.02.
- Bonin J.P. (2004), Banking in the Balkans: the structure of banking sectors in Southeast Europe, "Economic Systems", Vol. 28.
- Investing in Kosovo (2010), Economic Initiative for Kosovo, http://www.eciks.org, (12.08.2010).
- Montenegro's leader sees slow economic recovery (2009), Business News, www.Balkans.com (15.08.2010).
- Montenegro at a glance (2009), World Bank, http://devdata.worldbank.org.
- Montenegro 2009 Progress Report (2009), Commission of the European Communities, Brussels.
- Montenegro 2009 Progress Report SEC (2009), 1336/2 European Commission, Brussels.
- Kosovo under UNSCR 1244/99 Progress Report, SEC (2009), 1340/3 European Commission, Brussels 2009
- Kosak M., Cok M. (2008), Ownership structure and profitability of the banking sector, "Zb. rad. Ekon. fak. Rij", Vol. 26.
- Lubrani O. (2010), Effects of Global Financial Crisis in Kosovo and the Region, Development and Transition.
- Report for Selected Countries and Subjects (2009), IMF, April.
- Stubos G., Tsikripis I. (2004), Banking Sector Developments in Southeastern Europe, GDN-SEE.
- Tanner A. (2009), Montenegro's leader sees slow economic recovery, "Business News", 2009-12-07.
- Technical Assistance to Support the Development of Kosovo's SME Support Infrastructure (2010), www.etf.eu.int, access 2010.01.12
- Toci V.Z., Tyrbedari S.A, (2005), Interenst Rates in Kosovo, Some Comparisons and Possible Determinants, Working Paper No. 1, The European Times Montenegro, First Financial Bank
- World Bank (2004), Kosovo Economic Memorandum, Report No. 28023- KOS.
- Zuvela M. (2010), FDI falls across West Balkans, except Montenegro, 10 December, http://reuters.com, access 2010.08.29
- Kosovo banks safe from global financial crises (2009), http://www.newkosovareport.com (19.05.2009).