Reflections on the Eurozone's Challenges
This paper considers the primary challenges faced by the Eurozone and caused by the 2008+ crisis. It suggests that one should distinguish among institutional, conceptual (model/paradigm) and real economic challenges. As a factor that influences progress in other areas, the latter topic is a special focus. It shall be stressed that the classification advanced in this paper is only one of many possibilities. The division into three groups may help navigate the discussion on problems that are occurring or likely to occur in the Eurozone. However, the intertwined character of these challenges and their interdependence is also stressed. Generally, it seems reasonable to agree that the institutional and conceptual challenges will persist and that no easy solution can be expected soon. A simple evaluation of the Eurozone's macroeconomic stability based on available forecasts results in several tentative, overly optimistic conclusions that a slightly increasing internal cohesion is underway. More macroeconomic harmony can be expected. However, bold institutional reforms are required. (original abstract)
- Acharya, V. Öncü, S. T. (2013, January 14). A better way to design global financial regulation. Retrieved from http://www.voxeu.org/article/better-way-design-global-financial-regulation
- Akerlof, G. (2013). The Cat in the Tree and Further Observations: Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy. Paper presented at Conference, "Rethinking Macro Policy II: First Steps and Early Lessons", April 16-17, 2013, Washington, DC.
- Aufbau Ost In Tippelschritten vorwärts, (2004). IW Trends no. 4, Institut der deutschen Wirtschaft, Köln.
- Berlemann, M., Thum, M. (2006). Mittelfristige Perspektiven der Ost-West-Konvergenz, Ifo Dresden berichtet, 13. 2006 (01), 34-39.
- Blanchard, O. (2013a). Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy. Paper presented at Conference, "Rethinking Macro Policy II: First Steps and Early Lessons", April 16-17, 2013, Washington, DC.
- Blanchard, O., Leigh, D. (2013b). Growth Forecast Errors and Fiscal Multipliers (Working Paper No. 13/1). International Monetary Fund.
- Blanchard, O. Leigh, D. (2013, May 3). Fiscal consolidation: At what speed? Retrieved from http://www.voxeu.org/article/fiscal-consolidation-what-speed
- Boldrin, M., Casanova, F., Pischke J., & Puga, D. (2001). Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: Reconsidering European regional policies. Economic Policy, 32, 207-253.
- Centre for European Reform. (2012, December 5). What a banking union means for Europe. P. Whyte. Retrieved from http://www.cer.org.uk/ publications/archive/essay/2012/what-banking-union-means-europe
- Coeuré, B. (2013, March 11). The three dimensions of the euro area crisis, Asia-Europe Economic Forum conference on European troubles, Asian worries, Brussels, Retrieved from http://www.bis.org/ review/r130122a.pdf?frames=0
- De Grauwe, P. (2008, July 7). Cherished myths have fallen victim to economic reality. Financial Times. Retrieved from http://www.ft.com/ cms/s/0/f0e45d5a-584f-11dd-b02f-000077b07658. html