An Empirical Study of the Factors influencing Consumer Behaviour in the Electric Appliances Market
This study contributes to a deeper understanding of the impact of different factors on consumer buying behaviour. It analyses the relationship between several independent variables, such as cultural, social, personal, psychological and marketing mix factors, and consumer behaviour (as the dependent variable) in the electric appliances market. The purpose of this study is to determine the factors affecting consumer preferences and behaviour in the electric appliances market in Iraq. The data employed to analyse the factors influencing consumers' purchase decision-making processes were obtained through a questionnaire that was conducted in December 2011 in Basra, a city in southern Iraq. The major findings of the study indicated that, overall, the set of independent variables are weakly associated with the dependent variable. However, the in-depth analysis found that social factors, physical factors, and marketing mix elements are strongly associated with consumer buying behaviour. These analyses make it possible to discover consumer decision-making rules. The results may assist producers and retailers in understanding consumer behaviour and improving consumer satisfaction. (original abstract)
- Abo Ahmad, R. (2004). Study of Impact of Consumer Behavior and Marketing Mix on Marketing Share for Factory of Soft Drinks. Journal of Kufa Studies, 3, 173-188.
- Abood Al-Janabi, T. (2000). Impact of Buyer and Competitive for Determine Marketing Share in Business Companies. (Master`s thesis). Al-Kufa: Kufa University.
- Armstrong, J. S. (1991). Prediction of Consumer Behavior by Experts and Novices. Journal of Consumer Research, 18(2), 251-256.
- Burns, R. B. (2000). Introduction to Research Method. London: Sage Publications.
- Impulse buying (2012). In Business Dictionary. Rtrieved from http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/impulse-buying.html
- Carrigan, M., Attalla, A. (2001). The myth of the ethical consumer - do ethics matter in purchase behaviour? Journal of Consumer Marketing, 18 (7), 560-578.
- Foret, M., Procházka, P. (2007). Buying Behaviour of Households in the Czech Republic. Agricultural Economics - Czech, 53(7), 318-324.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L. (2006). Multivariate Data Analysis (6th ed.). New York, NY: Prentice-Hall.
- Hasslinger, A., Hodzic, S., Obazo, C. (2007). Consumer Behaviour in Online Shopping. Kristiansand: Kristiansand University, Department of Business Studies. Retrived from http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:231179/FULLTEXT01
- Hansen, T. (2005). Perspectives on Consumer Decision Making: an Integrated Approach. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 4(6), 420-437.
- Ibrahim, H., Husin, W. (2009). The Reality of Social Protection Systems in Iraq and its Impact on Consumer Protection. Iraqi Journal for Marketing Research and Consumer Protect, 1(2), 107-108.
- Jtheer, S. H., Al-Mosssawi, M. T, Hussen, J. H. (2009). Measuring Consumer Behavior toward Drugs - Analytical Study for Sample of Consumer in Baghdad. Iraqi Journal for Marketing Research and Consumer Protect, 1(2), 146-180.
- Keegan, W., Moriarty, S., Duncan, T. (1992). Marketing. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Kivetz, R., Simonson, I. (2000). The effects of incomplete information on consumer choice. Journal of Marketing Research, 37 (4), 427-448.
- Kotler, P., Armstrong, G. (2007). Principles of Marketing. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kotler, P., Caslione, J. (2009). How Marketers Can Respond to Recession and Turbulence. Journal of Consumer Behavior, 8(2), 187-191.
- Obaidat, M. (1995). Consumer Behavior. Cairo: The future of publishing and distribution.
- Pride, W. M., Ferrell, O. C. (2007). Foundations of Marketing (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Houghton Miffin Company.
- Sandhusen, R. L. (2000). Marketing (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Barron's Business Review Books.
- Schiffman, L. G., Kanuk, L. L. (2007). Purchasing Behavior (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Solomon, M. R. (2004). Consumer Behavior. Buying, Having, and Being (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Stávková, J., Stejskal, L., Toufarová, Z. (2008) Factors Influencing Consumer Behavior. Agricultural Economics - Czech, 54(6), 276-284.
- Suleiman, A. (2000). Consumer Behavior between Theory and Practice. Cairo: The future of publishing and distribution.
- Wood, M. (2005). Discretionary Unplanned Buying in Consumer Society. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 4 (4): 268-281.
- Zander, K., Hamm, U. (2011). Information search behaviour and its determinants: the case of ethical attributes of organic food. International Journal of Consumer Studies. doi: 10.1111/j.1470-6431.2011.00998.x