Lessons from the EU Accession for Agricultural Enterprises in the Visegrad Group Countries in the Light of CAP 2014
The importance of evaluating different impacts of the EU accession has not decreased in the last decade. Some of the problems, such as the problems of competitiveness and effectiveness of the agricultural sector, or the delay in transformation of the payment scheme are still unsolved. The continuous learning process has not ended by the accession; not only institutions but also individuals shall observe and learn the changes of the agricultural policy, which of course means a heavy task for farmers, besides the management of their farming activities. This paper wishes to examine how the agricultural enterprises in Visegrad countries could utilize advantages of the EU accession and what kind of problems has arisen during the accession process. These questions became more actual in present days, as a draft of the new CAP reform was announced in October 2011. Thus, the readiness of farmers will have a great importance in the future. Without knowing the new system, the opportunities cannot be utilized, and without taking these advantages we cannot speak about a competitive and effective agricultural sector. (original abstract)
- Az EU új Közös Agrárpolitikája 2014-2020 [The new CAP 2014-2020]. . Horváth Á. (ed.) Vidékfejlesztési Minisztérium és Magyar Agrárkamara kiadványa, [published by the Ministry of Rural Development and Hungarian Chamber of Agriculture]. Budapest, pp. 24.
- Definitions of Variables used in FADN standard results. (2007). RI/CC 882 Rev. 8.1. EC, Brussels, 12 April.
- FADN Public database. [2004-2008]. [Available at:] http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/rica/database/database_en.cfm.[Accessed: May 2011].
- Jambor A., Harvey D. : CAP Reform Options: A Challenge for Analysis & Synthesis. Centre for Rural Economy Discussion Paper Series no. 28. University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. [Available at:] http://www.ncl.ac.uk/cre/publish/discussionpapers/pdfs/dp28JamborHarvey.pdf. [Accessed: 9 May 2011].
- Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing a common organisation of the markets in agricultural products (Single CMO Regulation). . COM(2011) 626 final 2011/0281 (COD). EC, Brussels.
- Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing rules for direct payments to farmers under support schemes within the Framework of the common agricultural policy. . COM(2011) 625 final 2011/0280 (COD). EC, Brussels
- Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on support for rural development by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD). . COM(2011) 627 final 2011/0282 (COD). EC EC, Brussels
- The CAP towards 2020: Meeting the food, natural resources and territorial challenges of the future. . Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. EC, Brussels, 18 November.
- The Common Agricultural Policy after 2013 Public Debate, Summary Report. : EC [Available at:]http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/cap-post-2013/debate/report/summary-report_en.pdf. [Accessed: 9 May 2011].
- Törőné Dunay A. [2012A]: Az EU agrártámogatási rendszerének változásai és a csatlakozás hatása a mezőgazdasági vállalkozásokra. [Farm Level Impacts of the EU Accession and Agricultural Policy Developments (Changes in Payment System)] PhD dissertation. Szent István University, Gödöllő, pp. 173, (in Hungarian).
- Törőné Dunay A. [2012B]: Farm Level Impacts of the EU Accession and Agricultural Policy Developments (Changes in Payment System). Theses of PhD dissertation. Szent István University, Gödöllő, pp. 26.