Competition in the Polish Banking Sector
The paper aims to assess changes in the level of competition in Poland's banking sector in 1997-2007. Competition between banks is one of the most important factors behind the stability of the financial sector through its influence on the profitability of banks, access to external funding, and the country's economic development as a whole. In this paper, the Panzar and Rosse model was applied to assess the level of competition in the banking sector. The results of the analysis of the Polish banking sector show that between 1997 and 2007 commercial banks operated under monopolistic competition. The degree of competition in the Polish banking sector is close to that in euro-area banking sectors (which is reflected by the values of the Panzar and Rosse measures). This applies to both corporate and retail banking. The main driving factor behind competition in the Polish banking sector was the country's entry into the European Union. The same channels, i.e. consolidation and financial deregulation, that were observed in the EU at the time of adopting the euro influenced competition between banks in the Polish banking sector at the time of EU entry. This was mainly due to foreign capital from the euro area. (original abstract)
- Baltagi B.H., , Econometric Analysis of Panel Data, second edition, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Britain.
- Bikker J.A., , Competition and Efficiency in a Unified European Banking Market, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK, and Northampton, Ma., USA.
- Bikker J.A., Haaf W.B., , Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry, "Journal of Banking & Finance", No. 26, pp. 2191-2214.
- Bikker J.A., Bos W.B., , Bank Performance: A theoretical and empirical framework for the analysis of profitability, competition and efficiency, Routledge International Studies in Money and Banking, No. 2.
- Bikker J.A., Spierdijk L., Finnie P., , The Impact of Bank Size on Market Power, Working Paper No. 120, DNB.
- Bikker J.A., Spierdijk L., Finnie P., [November 2007], The impact of market structure, contestability and institutional environment on banking competition, DNB Working Paper, No. 156.
- Bikker J.A., Spierdijk L., Finnie P., [2007a], Misspecification of the Panzar-Rosse Model: Assessing Competition in the Banking Industry, Working Paper No. 114, DNB.
- Bikker J.A., Spierdijk L., Finnie P, [2007b], The impact of market structure, contestability and institutional environment on banking competition, Working Paper No. 156, DNB.
- Bikker J.A., Spierdijk L., , How Banking Competition Changed over Time, Working Paper No. 167, DNB.
- Boone J., , Competition, Discussion Paper, No. 2636, CEPR, London.
- Boucinha M., Ribeiro N., , An assessment of competition in the Portuguese banking system in the 1991-2004 period, Working Papers, Banco de Portugal, 1.
- Bresnahan T., , Empirical studies in industries with market power, [in:] Schmelensee R., Willig R. (eds.), Handbook of Industrial Organisation, Vol. II, pp. 1011-1058.
- Claessens S., Laeven L., , What Drives Bank Competition? Some International Evidence, "Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking", Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 563-584.
- Coccorese P., , Banking competition and macroeconomic conditions: a disaggregate analysis, "Journal of International Financial Markets", Institutions & Money 14, pp. 203-219.
- Corts K.S., , Conduct Parameters and Measurement of Market Power, "Journal of Econometrics", Vol. 88, No. 2, pp. 227-250.
- Demsetz H., , Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy, "Journal of Law and Economics", Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 1-9.
- ECB, , Monthly Bulletin, May.
- ECB, [2007a], EU Banking Structures.
- ECB, [2007b], Financial Integration in Europe.
- ECB, [2007c], Green Paper on Retail Banking.
- Freixas X., Rochet J.-CH., , Microeconomics of Banking, The MIT Press, Cambridge, London, England, p. 72-73.
- Gelos R.G., Roldos J., , Consolidation and Market Structure in Emerging Market Banking Systems, Working Paper No. 2, IMF, Washington, D.C.
- Gutierrez de Rozas L., , Testing for Competition in the Spanish Banking Industry: The Panzar-Rosse Approach Revisited, Banco de Espańa, Documentos de Trabajo, No. 0726.
- Hempell H.S., , Testing for Competition Among German Banks, Discussion Paper No. 4, Economic Research Center of Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Iwata G., , Measurement of conjectural variations in oligopoly, "Econometrica" 42, pp. 947-966.
- Koutsomanoli-Fillipaki N., Staikouras C.H., , Competition and Concentration in the New European Banking Landscape, "European Financial Management", Vol. 12, No. 3, 443-482.
- Lau L., , On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data, "Economics Letters" 10, 93-99.
- Leuvensteijn M., Bikker J.A., Rixtel A., S0rensen C.K., [June 2007], A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area, EBC, Working Paper Series, No. 768.
- Łyszkiewicz W., , Industrial Organization, Organizacja Rynku i Konkurencja, Dom Wydawniczy Elipsa, Warszawa, p. 266.
- Molyneux P, Lloyd-Williams D.M., Thornton J., , Competitive conditions in European banking, "Journal of Banking and Finance", Vol. 18, pp. 445-459.
- Nathan A., Neave E.H., , Competition and contestability in Canada's financial system: empirical results, "Canadian Journal of Economics", Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 576-594.
- National Bank of Poland, [2007), Financial System Development Report, Warsaw.
- Rosse J.N., Panzar J.C., , Chamberlin vs Robinson: An empirical study for monopoly rents, Bell Laboratories Economic Discussion Paper.
- Panzar J.C., Rosse J.N., , Testing for "monopoly" equilibrium, "Journal of Industrial Economics", No. 35, pp. 443-456.
- Pawłowska M., , Competition, Concentration, Efficiency and their Relationship in the Polish Banking Sector, Materiały i Studia, No. 32, NBP Warsaw.
- Pawłowska M., Kozak S., , Efficiency and Competition in the Polish Banking Sector: Has Euro Adoption Changed Them?, Bank and Credit, No. 12, NBP, Warsaw.
- Polish Financial Supervision Authority, , Summary Evaluation of the Financial Performance of Polish Banks in 2007.
- Sealey C.W., Lindley J.T., , Inputs, Outputs and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions, "Journal of Finance", Vol. 32, 1251-1266.
- Shaffer S., , Competition, Conduct and Demand Elasticity, "Economic Letters", Vol. 10, pp. 167-171.
- Utrero-Gonzâlez N., Callado-Munoz F.J., , Can Monetary Union Enhance Banking Competition?: A Multicase Study, "Journal of Economic Integration", Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 128-155.
- Yildrim H.S., Philippatoas G.C., , Competition and Contestability in Central and Eastern European Banking, Managerial Finance 33, 195-209.