Preventing corruption through spiritual leadership in organisations
Spiritual leadership as a theory is still in nascent stage due to conceptual contradictions often perceived between spirituality and leadership. Besides, literature on spirituality is not available in consolidated form and it is spread across various disciplines viz., religious studies, psychology, communication, human resources and business studies. Also, there is need for developing and standardizing measurement tools for spirituality (Giacalone & Jurkiewicz, 2004). The paper has endeavored to present similarities and differences between spirituality and leadership and after integrating these concepts, has evolved a model of spiritual leadership based on the qualitative analysis of literature and life and work JRD Tata, a highly respected leader of a corporate conglomerate. The tenets of his exemplary spiritual leadership based on values, ethical conduct, idealized influence, individualized consideration and transcendental goal could form part of development of leaders in the corporate world as the corporate world needs ethical leaders more than ever before to prevent corruption and promote integrity. The spiritual leadership model can be tested by future researchers in other cultural contexts. (fragment of text)
- Atwater L.; Roush P. and Fischtal A. 1995. The influence of upward feedback on self-and follower ratings of leadership. "Personnel Psychology", 48: 35-59.
- Bass B.M. and Avolio B.J. 1993. Transformational leadership: A response to critiques. In M.M. Chemers and R. Ayman (Eds.), Leadership theory and research: Perspectives and directions: 49-80. N.Y.: Academic Press.
- Bass B.M. and Steidlmeir P. 1999. Ethics, character, and authentic transformational leadership behavior. "The Leadership Quarterly", 10 (2): 182-217.
- Bass B.M. 1985. Leadership and performance beyond expectation. Free Press, New York.
- Bass B.M. 1998. Transformational leadership: Industrial, military and educational impact. N.Y.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Bushman B.J. and Baumeister R. 1998. Threatened egotism, narcissism, self-esteem, and direct and displaced aggression: Does self-love or self-hate lead to violence? "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", 75: 219-229.
- Carter S. 1993. The culture of disbelief: how American law and politics trivialize religious devotion. N.Y.: Basic Books.
- Collins James, C. 2001. Good to great, N.Y.: HarperCollins.
- Colvin C.R.; Block J. and Funder D.C. 1995. Overly positive evaluations and personality: Negative implications for mental health. "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", 68: 1152-1162.
- Conger J.A. 1999. Charismatic and transformational leadership in organizations: An insider's perspective on these developing streams of research. "The Leadership Quarterly", 10:(2):145-179.
- Conger J.A. and Kanungo R.N. 1998. Charismatic leadership in organizations. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Conlin M. 1999. Religion in the workplace. "Business Week", 3653:150-158.
- Csikszentmihalyi M. and LeFevre J. 1989. Optimal experience in work and leisure. "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", 36: (5): 815-822.
- Csikszentmihalyi M.1982. Toward a psychology of optimal experience. In: L. Wheeler (Eds.), "Review of personality and social psychology", 3, CA: Sage.
- Davidson J.C. and Caddell, D.P. 1994. Religion and the meaning of work. "Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion", 33: 135-147.
- Dehler G.E. and Welsh M.A. 1994. Spirituality and organizational transformation: Implications for the new management paradigm. "Journal of Managerial Psychology", 9 (6):17-28.
- Den Hartog D.N.; House R.J.; Hanges P.J.; Ruiz-Quintanilla S.A. and Dorfman P.W. et al. 1999. Culture specific and cross-culturally generalizable implicit leadership theories: Are attributes of charismatic/transformational leadership universally endorsed? The Leadership Quarterly", 10 (2): 219-256.
- Dickson M.W.; Den Hartog D.N. and Mitchelson J.K. 2003. Research on leadership in a crosscultural context: Making progress, and raising new questions. "The Leadership Quarterly", 14 (6): 729-768.
- Dirks K.T. and Ferrin D.L. 2002. Trust in leadership: Meta-analytic findings and implications for research and practice. "Journal of Applied Psychology", 87 (4): 611-628.
- Dorfman P.; Hanges P.J. and Brodbeck F.C. 2004. Leadership and cultural variation: The identification of culturally endorsed leadership profiles, leadership, culture, and organizations. The GLOBE study of 62 societies. CA: Sage.
- Druskat V.U.1994. Gender and leadership style: Transformational and transactional leadership in the Roman Catholic Church. "The Leadership Quarterly", 5: 99-119.
- Elm D.R. 2003. Honesty, spirituality, and performance at work. In: R.A. Giacolone and C.L. Jurkiewicz (Eds.), Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance: 277-288. N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe.
- Emmons R.A. 1999. Religion in the psychology of personality. "Journal of Personality", 67 (6): 873-888.
- Emmons R.A., Cheung C. and Tehrani K. 1998. Assessing spirituality through personal goals: Implications for research on religion and subjective well-being. "Social Indicators Research", 45: 391-422.
- Fairholm G.W. 1997. Capturing the heart of leadership: Spirituality and Community in the new American workplace. Westport: CT. Praeger.
- Fiol C.M., Harris D. and House R.J. 1999. Charismatic Leadership: Strategies for effecting social change. "The Leadership Quarterly", 10 (3): 449-482.
- Fleenor J.W., McCauley C.D. and Brutus S. 1996. Self-other rating agreement and leader effectiveness. "The Leadership Quarterly", 7 (4): 487-506.
- Fry L.W. 2003. Toward a theory of spiritual leadership. "The Leadership Quarterly", 14 (6): 693-727.
- Fry L.W. 2005. Toward a theory of ethical and spiritual well-being and corporate social responsibility through spiritual leadership. In: C. Dunne, R.A. Giacolone and C.L. Jurkiewicz (Eds.), Positive psychology and corporate responsibility. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Giacalone R.A. and Jurkiewicz C.L. 2003. Toward a science of workplace spirituality. In: R.A. Giacalone and C.L. Jurkiewicz, Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance: 3-28. N.Y.: M.E.
- Sharpe. Hendricks K.T. and Hendricks C.G. 2003. Operational integrity: The gateway to workplace harmony and velocity. In: R.A. Giacalone and C.L. Jurkiewicz (Eds.) Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance: 429-445. N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe.
- Himmelfarb G. 1994. On looking into the abyss: Untimely thoughts on culture and society. N.Y.: Knopf.
- House R.J. & House A. 1977. Theory of charismatic leadership. In: J.G. H unt and L.L. L awson (Eds.), Leadership: The cutting edge: 189-207. Carbondale: Southern Illinois Press.
- Howell J.M. 1988. Two faces of charisma: Socialized and personalized leadership in organizations. In: J.A. Conger and R.N. Kanungo (Eds.) Charismatic leadership: The elusive factor in organizational effectiveness: 213-236. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Klein K.J. and House R.J. 1995. On fire: Charismatic leadership and levels of analysis. "Leadership Quarterly", 6 (2):183-198.
- Kouzes J.M. & Posner B.Z. 1999. Encouraging the heart: A leader's guide to rewarding and recognizing others. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Kuhnert K.W. and Lewis P. 1987. Transactional and transformational leadership: A constructive/ developmental analysis. "Academy of Management Review", 12: 648-657.
- Kurth K. 2003. Spirituality renewing ourselves at work. In: R.A. Giacalone and C.L. Jurkiewicz (Eds.), Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance: 447- 460. N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe.
- Mitroff I. I & Denton E.A.1999. A spiritual audit of corporate America. San Francisco: Jossey- Bass.
- Nash L.L. 2001. How the church has failed business? "Across the Board", 38 (4): 26-32.
- Neal J.A.; Lichtenstein B.M.B and Banner D. 1999. Spiritual perspectives on individual, organizational, and societal transformation. Journal of Organisational Change Management, 12 (3): 175-185.
- Northouse P.G. 2001. Leadership: Theory and practice. CA: Sage Publications.
- Novak M. 1996. Business as a calling: Work and the examined life. N.Y.: Free Press.
- Ohmann O. A. 1970. Skyhooks. "Harvard Business Review", 48 (1): 12.
- Paloutzian R.F.; Emmons R.A. and Keortge S.G.2003. Spiritual well-being, spiritual intelligence, and healthy workplace policy. In: R.A. Giacolone and C.L. Jurkiewicz, Editors, Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance: 123-137. N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe.
- Pfeffer J. 2003. Business and the spirit: Management practices that sustain values. In: R.A. Giacalone and C.L. Jurkiewicz. (Eds.) Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance: 29-45. N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe.
- Rafferty A.E. & Griffin M.A. 2004. Dimensions of transformational leadership: Conceptual and empirical extensions. "The Leadership Quarterly", 15 (3): 329-354.
- Rahim M.A., Psenicko C., Yu C.S., Zhao J.H., Yee K.W., Polychroniov P. et al. 2003. A model of emotional intelligence and conflict management strategies: A study in seven countries. Paper presented at the Academy of Management, Seattle, WA.
- Reave L. 2005. Spiritual values and practices related to leadership effectiveness. "The Leadership Quarterly", 15 (5): 655-687.
- Shamir B.H, House R.J., Arthur M.B.1993. The motivational effects of charismatic leadership: a self concept theory. "Organisational Science", 4: 1-17.
- Shamir B ., Zakay E ., Breinin E. and Popper M. 1998. Correlates of charismatic leader behavior in military units: Subordinates' attitudes, unit characteristics, and superiors' appraisals of leader performance. "Academy of Management Journal", 41 (4): 387-409.
- Shipper F.M., Rotondo D.M., Hoffman; et.al. (2003). A cross-cultural study of linkage between emotional intelligence and managerial effectiveness. Paper presented at the Academy of Management, Seattle, WA.
- Smith H. 1992. The world's religions. N.Y.: Peter Smith.
- Tourish D. and Pinnington A. 2002. Transformational leadership, corporate cultism, and the spiritual paradigm: An unholy trinity in the workplace? "Human Relations", 55: 147- 172.
- Van Velsor E ., Taylor S. and Leslie J. 1993. An examination of the relationships among selfperception, accuracy, self-awareness, gender, and leader effectiveness. "Human Resource Management", 32: 249-264.
- Wagner-Marsh F. and Conley J. 1999. The fourth wave: The spiritually-based firm. "Journal of Organizational Change Management", 12: 292-301.
- Weber M. 1947. In: T. Parasons. (Eds.). The Theory of social and economic organization (translated by AM Henderson & T. Parsons) N.Y.: Free Press.
- Wolpert Stanley. 2001. Gandhi's Passion: Life and legacy of Mahatma Gandhi. Book Review: http//:www.issi.org.pk/journal/2002_files/no_2/review/2r.htm. Retrieved on 2008:01.01.
- Yukl G. 1999. An evaluation of conceptual weaknesses in transformational and charismatic leadership theories. "The Leadership Quarterly", 10 (2): 285-305.
- Zellers K.L. & Perrewe, P.L. I n: R.A. Giacalone and C.L. Jurkiewicz (Eds.). 2003. Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance: 300-313. N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe.
- Zinnbauer B.J.; Pargament K.I. and Scott A.B. 1999. The emerging meanings of religiousness and spirituality: Problems and prospects. "Journal of Personality", 67 (6): 889-919.