The impact of misaligned business communication on the quality of salesperson - buyer relationships
Despite the important role of communication in the business-to-business sphere, little attention is given to it in publications. Research conducted so far focused on the level and scope of information exchange or marketing in general. However, an explanation to what degree communication, particularly taking into account buyer needs in communication, has an effect on buyer-salesperson relationships is absent. Therefore, this paper is based on the thesis that salesperson communication, at variance with buyer expectations, leads to deterioration of buyer's trust, satisfaction, commitment and willingness to recommend the salesperson. The paper defines elements of communication indispensable in maintaining relationships with specific parameters (trust, satisfaction, commitment and recommendation). It also indicates that the extent to which not adapting communication has an effect on the buyer-salesperson relationship does not depend on trust which buyers have in salespersons, compared to other sources of information. The effect of the paper is to indicate the areas of communication towards which a salesperson should direct their efforts and such areas, which, even if lacking conformity, do not have a negative effect on buyer-salesperson relationships.(original abstract)
- Achrol, R.S., Cannon, J.P., Gundlach, G.T., 2000, Contracts, Norms, and Plural Form Governance, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 180-194.
- Agnihotri, R, Rapp, ?., Trainor, K., 2009, Understanding the Role oflnformation Communication in the Buyer-Seller Exchange Process: Antecedents and Outcomes, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, vol. 24, no. 7, p. 475.
- Alajoutsijärvi, Κ., Möller, K.K., Tähtinen, J., 2000, Beautiful Exit: How to Leave Your Business Partner, European Journal of Marketing, vol. 24, no. 11/12, pp. 1270-1289.
- Allen, N., Meyer, J., 1990, The Measurement and Antecedents of Affective, Continuance and Normative Commitment to the Organization, Journal of Occupational Psychology, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 1-18.
- Andersen, P.H., 2001, Relationship Development and Marketing Communication: An Integrated Model, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 167-182.
- Andersen, P.H., Christensen, P.R., Damgaard, T., 2009, Diverging Expectations in Buyer-Seller Relationships: Institutional Contexts and Relationship Norms, Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 38, pp. 816-819.
- Anderson, J.C.,Narus, J.A., 1990, AModel of Distributor Firm and Manufacturer Firm Working Partnerships, Journal of Marketing, vol. 54 (January), pp. 42-58.
- Anderson, E., Weitz, B., 1992, The Use of Pledges to Build and Sustain Commitment in Distribution Channels, Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 29 (February), pp. 254-262.
- Anderson, E.W., Fornell, C., Lehmann, D.R., 1994, Customer Satisfaction, Market Share, and Profitability: Findings from Sweden, Journal of Marketing, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 53-66.
- Batt, P.J., 2000, Modelling Buyer-Seller Relationships in Agribusiness in South East Asia, the paper was published at the 16th IMP-conference in Bath, U.K.
- Bantham, H.J., 2010, A Dyadic, Multi-Perspective Exploration of Buyer-Seller Partnership, consumer satisfaction, dissatisfaction and complaining behaviour conference proceedings, Dominican University, River Forest, Illinois.
- Bavorova, M., Dautzenberg, K., Hanf, J., 2006, The Glue that Holds Together Supply Chain Networks, in: Fritz, M., Rickert, U., Schiefer, G. (eds.), Trust and Risk in Business Networks, University of Bonn, Bonn, pp. 577-84.
- Bendapudi, N., Leone, R.P., 2002, Managing Business-to-Business Customer Relationships Following Key Contact Employee Turnover in a Vendor Firm, Journal of Marketing, vol. 66, pp. 83-101.
- Bennett, A.R., 1997, The Five Vs - A Buyer's Perspective of the Marketing Mix, Marketing Intelligence & Planning, vol. 15, issue 3, pp. 151-156.
- Bennett, R., Rundle-Thiele, S., 2004, Customer Satisfaction Should Not Be the Only Goal, Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 514-523.
- Bharadwaj, N., 2004, Investigating the Decision Criteria Used in Electronic Components Procurement, Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 33, issue 4, pp. 317-322.
- Bienstock, C.C., Royne, M.B., 2007, The Differential Value of Information in Industrial Purchasing Decisions Applying an Economics of Information Framework, International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 389-408.
- Biggemann, S., Buttle, F., 2009, Coordinated Interaction and Paradox in Business Relationships, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 549-560.
- Black, R., 1986, The Trade Shows Industry: Management and Marketing Career Opportunities, Trade Show Bureau, East Orleans.
- Blythe, J., 2005, Essentials of Marketing Communications, FT Prentice Hall.
- Boles, J.S., Babin, B.J., Brashear, T.G., Brooks, C., 2001, An Examination of the Relationships Between Retail Work Environments, Salesperson Selling Orientation-Customer Orientation and Job Performance, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, vol. 9, Summer, pp. 1-13.
- Bolton, R., 1998, A Dynamic model of the Duration of the Customer Relationship with a Continous Service Provider: The Role of Satisfaction, Marketing Science, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 171-186.
- Bolton, R.N., Kannan, P.K, Bramlett, M.D., 2000, Implications of Loyalty Program Membership and Service Experiences for Customer Retention and Value, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 95-113.
- Botha, E., Human, G., Naude, P., 2011, The Mediating Effects of Dyadic Relational Drivers in a Business-To-Business Buyer Network, the paper was published at the 27th IMP-conference in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Bowman, D., Narayandas, D., 2001, Managing Customer-Initiated Contacts with Manufacturers: The Impact on Share of Category Requirements and Word-of-Mouth Behavior, Journal of Marketing Research, vol. XXXVIII (August), pp. 281-287.
- Brennan, R., Turnbull, R, Wilson, D., 2003, Dyadic Adaptation in Business-to-Business Markets, European Journal of Marketing, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1636-1655.
- Bunn, M.D., 1993, Taxonomy of Buying Decision Approaches, Journal of Marketing, vol. 57, January, pp. 38-56.
- Bunn, M.D., 1994, Key Aspects of Organizational Buying: Conceptualization and Measurement, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 22, 1994, no. 2, pp. 160-169.
- Bunn, M.D., Shaw-Ching Liu, B., 1996, Situational Risk in Organizational Buying: A Basis for Adaptive Selling, Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 25, pp. 439-452.
- Canavari, M., Fritz, M., Hofstede, G.J., Matopoulos, ?., Vlachopoulou, M., 2010, The Role of Trust in the Transition from Traditional to Electronic B2B Relationships in Agri-Food Chains, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, vol. 70, pp. 321-327.
- Claycomb, C., Frankwick, G.L., 2010, Buyers' Perspectives of Buyer-Seller Relationship Development, Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 39, pp. 252-255.
- Corsaro, D., Snehota, I., 2010, Alignment in Business Relationships, the paper published at the 26th IMP-conference in Budapest, Hungary.
- Cronin, J.J., Morris, M.H., 1989, Satisfying Customer Expectations: The Effects on Conflict and Repurchase Intentions in Industrial Marketing Channels, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 41-49.
- Dance, F.E.X., 1970, "The Concept" of Communication, The Journal of Communication, vol. 20, pp. 201-210.
- Das, T.K., Bing-Sheng Teng, 1998, Between Trust and Control: Developing Confidence in Partner Co-Operation in Alliances, Academy of Management Review, vol. 23, pp. 491-512.
- Duncan, R.B., 1973, Multiple Decision-Making Structures in Adapting to Environmental Uncertainty, Human Relations, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 273-291.
- Duncan, T., Moriarty, S.E., 1998, A Communication-Based Marketing Model for Managing Relationships, Journal of Marketing, vol. 62 (April), pp. 1-13.
- Dwyer, F.R., Schurr, P.H., Oh, S., 1987, Developing Buyer-Salesperson Relationships, Journal of Marketing 1987, vol. 51 (April), pp. 11-27.
- Eckert, J.?., 2006, Adaptive Selling Behavior: Adding Depth and Specificity to the Range of Adaptive Outputs, Mid-American Journal of Business, vol. 21, issue 1.
- Evans, P.B., Wurster, T.S., 1997, Strategy and the New Economics of Information, Harvard Business Review, Spetember-October, p. 73.
- Fisher, G, Hartman, M., Bavorova, M., Hockmann, H., Suvanto, H., Viitaharju, L., Leat, P., Revoredo-Giha, C., Henchion, N., McGee, C., Dybowski, G., Kobuszynska, M., 2008, Business Relationships and B2B Communication in Selected European Agri-food Chains - First Empirical Evidance, The International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, vol. 11, issue 2.
- Fornell, G, Anderson, E.W., Bryant, B.E., Cha, J., Johnson, M.D., 1996, The American Customer Satisfaction Index: Nature, Purpose, and Findings, Journal of Marketing, vol. 60 (October), pp. 7-18.
- Fullerton, G., 2003, When Does Commitment Lead to Loyalty?, Journal of Service Research, vol. 5 (May), pp. 333-344.
- Gambetta, D., 1988, Can we Trust Trust?, in: Gambetta, D. (ed.), Trust: Making and Breaking Cooperative Relations, Basil Blackwell, New York, pp. 213-237.
- Garbarino, E., Johnson, M., 1999, The Differential Roles of Satisfaction, Trust, and Commitment in Customer Relationships, Journal of Marketing, vol. 63 (April), pp. 70-87.
- Gounaris, S.P., 2005, Trust and Commitment Influences on Customer Retention: Insights from Business-to-Business Services, Journal of Business Research, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 126-137.
- Grönroos, Ch., 2004, The Relationship Marketing Process: Communication, Interaction, Dialogue, Value, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 99-113.
- Guenzi, P., Pardo, C., Georges, L., 2007, Relational Selling Strategy and Key Account Managers' Relational Behaviors: An Exploratory Study, Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 36, pp. 121-133.
- Gurau, C., 2008, Integrated Online Marketing Communication: Implementation and Management, Journal of Communication Management, vol. 12, no. 2, p. 169.
- Hakansson, H. (ed.), 1982, International Marketing and Purchasing of Industrial Goods, Wiley, New York.
- Hakansson, H., Johanson, J., Wootz, ?., 1976, Influence Tactics in Buyer-Seller Processes, Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 5, pp. 319-332.
- Hallen, L., Sandstrom, M., 1991, Relationship Atmosphere in International Business, in: Paliwoda, S.J. (ed.), New Perspectives on International Marketing Routledge, London, pp. 108-125.
- Hâvard, H., Sandvik, Κ., Seines, F., 2003, Direct and Indirect Effects of Commitment to a Service Employee on the Intention to Stay, Journal of Service Research, vol. 5 (May), pp. 356-368.
- Hennig-Thurau, T., Gwinner, K.P., Gremler, D.D., 2002, Understanding Relationship Marketing Outcomes: An Integration of Relational Benefits and Relationship Quality, Journal ofService Research, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 230-247.
- Holmlund, M., Kock, S., 1995, Small-Sized Manufacturing Firms' Perceptions of Quality in Business Networks, in: Turnbull, P.W., Yorke, D., Naude, P. (eds.), Proceedings of the 11th IMP Conference, Manchester Business School, Manchester, pp. 109-121.
- Holmlund, M., Strandvik, T., 2003, Stress in Business Relationships, the 19th Annual IMP Conference, 4-6 September, Lugano.
- Homburg, C., Rudolph, ?., 2001, Customer Satisfaction in Industrial Markets: Dimensional and Multiple Role issues, Journal of Business Research, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 15-33.
- Homburg, C., Stock, R.M., 2004, The Link between Salespeople Job Satisfaction and Customer Satisfaction in a Business-to-Business Context: A Dyadic Analysis, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 144-158.
- Iacobucci, D., Hibbard, J.D., 1999, Toward an Encompassing Theory of Business Marketing Relationships (BMRs) and Interpersonal Commercial Relationships (ICRs): An Empirical Generalization, Journal of Interactive Marketing, vol. 13, no. 3, p. 23.
- Järvi, P., Munnukka, J., 2010, The Effect of Information Sources on the Success of the Organizational Buying Process, Journal of Business Market Management, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 209-225.
- Johanson, J., Mattsson, L., 1987, Inter-Organisational Relations in Industrial Systems: A Network Approach Compared with Transactional Cost Approach, International Studies of Management and Organisations, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 34-48.
- Johnson, M., Gustafsson, ?., Andreassen, T., Lervik, L., Cha, J., 2001, The Evolution and Future of National Customer Satisfaction Index Models, Journal of Economic Psychology, vol. 22 (April), pp. 217-245.
- Kadefors, ?., Gerle, C., Nyberg, L., 2009, Trust and Distrust in Temporary Client-Contractor Relations, the paper was published at the 17th IMP-conference in Oslo, Norway.
- Kaniewska-Sçba, ?., Leszczyñski, G., 2009, Marketing Communication in Business Relations - Trends on the Polish Market, 8th International Marketing Trends Conference, ed. Françoise CONCH ON, ESCP-AEP European School of Management.
- Keiningham, T., Cooil, B., Aksoy, L., Andreassen, T., Weiner, J., 2007, The Value of Different Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty Metrics in Predicting Customer Retention, Recommendation, and Share-of-Wallet, Managing Service Quality, vol. 17, pp. 361-384.
- Kennedy, K.N., Deeter-Schmelz, D.R., 2001, Descriptive and Predictive Analyses of Industrial Buyers' Use of Online Information for Purchasing, Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 279-290.
- Kim, T.Y., Oh, H., Swaminathan, ?., 2006, Framing Interorganizational Network Change: A Network Inertia Perspective, Academy of Management Review, vol. 31,no. 3,pp. 704-720.
- Kumar, V., Petersen, ?., Leone, R., 2007, How Valuable is Word of Mouth? Harvard Business Review, October, pp. 139-146.
- Kumar, V., Reinartz, W., 2002, Mismanagement of Customer Loyalty, Harvard Business Review, vol. 80 (July), pp. 86-97.
- Kwiatek, P., Biatow^s, S., 2008, Does A Loyalty Program Change What We Feel And Do?, Proceedings of Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, pp. 413-418.
- Kwiatek, P., Leszczyñski, G., Zieliñski, M., 2009, Komunikacja w relacjach B2B, Advertiva, Poznañ.
- Lapierre, J., 2000, Customer-Perceived Value in Industrial Context, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, vol. 15, no. 2/3, pp. 122-144.
- Larson, ?., 1992, Network Dyads in Entrepreneurial Settings: A Study of the Governance of Exchange Relationships, Administrative Science Quarterly, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 76-104.
- Laswell, H., 1948, The Structure and Function of Communication and Society: The Communication of Ideas, Institute for Religious and Social Studies, New York, pp. 203-243.
- Leminen, S., 2001, Gaps in Buyer-Seller Relationships, Management Decision, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 180-189.
- Lemon, K.N., Zeithami, V.A., Rust, R.T., 2000, Driving Customer Equity How Customer Lifetime Value is Reshaping Corporate Strategy, Free Press, New York, pp. 109-127.
- Leszczyñski, G., Zieliñski, M., 2007, Drop and Collect Survey as the Response to Business- to-Business Marketing Research Problems in Poland, in: Springer, R., Chadraba, P. (eds.), Proceedings of the 15th Annual Conference on Marketing and Business Strategies for Central and Eastern Europe, Vienna University of Economics and Business Administrations Institute of International Business, Wien, pp. 241-255.
- Lewin, J.E., 2009, Business Customers'Satisfaction: What Happens when Suppliers Downsize?, Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 38, pp. 283-289.
- Mackoy, R.D., Spreng, R.A., 1995, The Dimensionality of Consumer Satisfaction/Dissatisfaction: An Empirical Examination, Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, vol. 8, pp. 53-54.
- Meyer, J.W., Scott, W.R., Rowan, ?., Deal, T.E., Perrow, C, 1985, Organizational Environments: Ritual and Rationality, American Journal of Sociology, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 151-155.
- Mittal, V., Kamakura, W., 2001, Satisfaction, Repurchase Intent, and Repurchase Behavior: Investigating the Moderating Effect of Customer Characteristics, Journal of Marketing Research, vol. XXXVIII (February), pp. 131-142.
- Mohr, J., Nevin, J.R., 1990, Communication Strategies in Marketing Channels: A Theoretical Perspective, Journal of Marking, October, pp. 36-51.
- Mohr, J., Spekman, R., 1994, Characteristics of Partnership Success: Partnership Attributes, Communication Behavior and Conflict Resolution Techniques, Strategic Management Journal, vol. 15, pp. 135-152.
- Möller, Κ., Halinen, ?., 2000, Relationship Marketing Theory: Its Roots and Direction, Journal of Marketing Management, vol. 16, no. 1-3, pp. 29-54.
- Moorman, G, Zaltman, G., Despande, R., 1993, Factors Affecting Trust in Market Research Relationship, Journal of Marketing, vol. 57, pp. 83-101.
- Morgan, R., Hunt, S., 1994, The Commitment-Trust Theory of Relationship Marketing, Journal of Marketing, vol. 58, pp. 20-38.
- Moriarty, R., Spekman, R., 1984, An Empirical Investigation of the Information Sources Used During the Industry Buying Process, Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 21 (May), pp. 137-147.
- Nahapiet, J., Ghoshal, S., 1998, Social Capital, Intellectual Capital and the Organizational Advantage, Academy of Management Review, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 242-266.
- Narayandas, D., 1998, Measuring and Managing the Benefits of Customer Retention: An Empirical Investigation, Journal of Service Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 108-128.
- Nunlee, M.P., 2005, The Control of Intra-Channel Opportunism through the Use of Inter- Channel Communication, Inudstrial Marketing Management, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 515-525.
- O'Donnell, V., Kable, J., 1982, Persuasion: An Interactive Dependency Approach, Random Haouse, New York.
- O'Reilly, C., Chatman, J., 1986, Organizational Commitment and Psychological Attachment: The Effects of Compliance, Identification and Internalization on Prosocial Behavior, Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 492-499.
- Oliver, R.L., 1980, A Cognitive Model of the Antecedents and Consequences of Satisfaction Decisions, Journal of Marketing Research, November, pp. 460-468.
- Oliver, R.L., 1999, Whence Consumer Loyalty? Journal of Marketing, vol. 63, pp. 33-44.
- Olkkonen, R., Tikkanen, H., Alajoutsijarvi, K., 2000, The Role of Communication in Business Relationships and Networks, Management Decision, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 403-409.
- O'Toole, T., Donaldson, B., 2002, Relationship Performance Dimensions of Buyer-Supplier Relationships, European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 197-208.
- Palmatier, R.W., Dant, R.P., Grewal, D., Evans, K.R, 2006, Factors Influencing the Effectiveness of Relationship Marketing: A Meta-Analysis, Journal of Marketing, vol. 70, no. 4, p. 134.
- Petersen, K.J., Ragatz, G.L., Monczka, R.M., 2005, An Examination of Collaborative Planning Effectiveness and Supply Chain Performance, The Journal of Supply Chain Management, (Spring), pp. 14-25.
- Rauyruen, P., Miller, K.E., 2006, Relationship Quality as a Predictor ofB2B Customer Loyalty, Journal of Business Research, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 21-31.
- Reichheld, F., Sasser, W., 1990, Zero Defections: Quality Comes to Service, Harvard Business Review, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 105-111.
- Robinson, J.R, Fans, Ch. W., Wind, Y., 1976, Industrial Buying and Creative Marketing, Allyn & Bacon, Boston.
- Sheth, J., 1976, Buyer-Seller Interaction: A Conceptual Framework, in: Anderson, B.B. (ed.), Advances in Consumer Research, Association for Consumer Research, Cincinati.
- Shockley-Zalabak, R, 1993, Understanding Organizational Communication: Cases, Commentaries, and Conversations, Allyn & Bacon.
- Spiro, R., Weitz, B., 1990, Adaptive Selling: Conceptualization, Measurement and Nomological Validity, Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 61-69.
- Sweitzer, R.W., 1976, Interpersonal Information Processing of Industrial Buyers, in: Bernhardt, K.L. (ed.), Marketing: 1776-1976 and Beyond, American Marketing Association, Chicago, pp. 334-339.
- Thomas, B., Mitchell, S., Del Rossa, J., 2007, Sales: Strategic Partnership or Necessary Evil? 2007-2008 Global Sales Perceptions Report, Development Dimensions International, www.ddiworld.com, p. 13.
- Wachner, T., Plouffe, Ch., Gregoire, Y., 2009, SOCOs Impact on Individual Sales Performance: The Integration of Selling Skills as a Missing Link, Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 38, issue 1, pp. 32-44.
- Webster, G, Sundaram, S., 2009, Effect of Service Providers Communication Style on Customer Satisfaction in Professional Services Setting: The Moderating Role ofCriticality and Service Nature, Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 103-113.
- Weitz, B.A., Castelberry, S.B., Tanner, J.F., 2007, Selling: Building Partnerships, Irwin/McGraw- Hill, Burr Ridge.
- Williams, K., Spiro, R, 1985, Communication Style in the Salesperson-Customer Dyad, Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 22, pp. 434-442.
- Williams, K.C., Spiro, R.L., Fine, L.M., 1990, The Customer-Salesperson Dyad: An Interaction/ Communication Model and Review, Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, October, pp. 434-442.
- Wilson, D.T., 1995, An Integrated Model of Buyer-Salesperson Relationships, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 23, no. 4, p. 337.
- Woo, K., Ennew, C.T., 2005, MeasuringBusiness-to-Business Professional Service Quality and Its Consequences, Journal of Business Research, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 1178-1186.
- Wong, C.L., Tjosvold, D., 1995, Goal Interdependence and Quality in Services Marketing, Psychology and Marketing, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189-205.
- Wren, B.M., Simpson, J. T., 1996, A Dyadic Model of Relationships in Organizational Buying: A Synthesis of Research Results, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, vol. 11, no. 3/4, pp. 63-79.
- Verhoef, P., Franses, P., Hoekstra, J., 2002, The Effect of Relational Constructs on Customer Referrals and Number of Services Purchased from a Multiservice Provider: Does Age of Relationship Matter?, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 202-216.
- Zeithami, V. ?., 1988, Consumer Perceptions of Price, Quality, and Value: A Means-End Model and Synthesis of Evidence, Journal of Marketing, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 2-22