Rewarding Innovation : Insights for the Design and Implementation of an Innovation Fostering Reward System
We say a company is competitive or has competitive advantage when it has a "sustainable edge over its competitors". Since today's business world is characterized by change and hyper competition, that sustainable edge is increasingly difficult to sustain. Successful strategies can be replicated; successful products and services can be imitated. To keep that edge, a company must have the ability to develop new products and services, new working methods and new strategies. That is, it must innovate. As Schumann, Prestwood, Tong & Vanston apud Gudmundson (2003) state, "innovation is the basis of all competitive advantage". But successful companies not only need innovation, they need a repeatable process to drive a continual stream of innovative products, services, working methods or even strategies. (fragment of text)
- Bassi L.: Human capital advantage: developing metrics for the knowledge era. LineZine, Spring 2001.
- Câmara P., Guerra P., Rodrigues J.: Humanator 2001: Recursos Humanos e sucesso empresarial. Dom Quixote, 2001.
- Davenport T.: The human capital metaphor: what's in a name? LineZine, Spring 2001.
- Farson R., Keyes R.: The failure-tolerant leader. "Harvard Business Review" 2002, August, pp. 65-71.
- Gomes D.: Cultura Organizacional: comunicação e identidade. Quarteto, 2000.
- Gudmundson D.: Innovation in small businesses: culture and ownership structure do matter. "Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship" 2003, Vol. 8, No 1, April.
- Harper S., Becker S.: On the leading edge of innovation: a comparative study of innovation practices. "Southern Business Review" 2004, Vol. 29, No 2, Spring, pp. 1-15.
- Hofstede G.: Culture's consequences: international differences in work-related values. Sage Publications, 1980.
- James W.: Best HR practices for today's innovation management. "Research and Technology Management" 2002, Vol. 45, No 1, January-February, pp. 57-60.
- Kyriakidou O.: Developing a knowledge sharing culture. "Management Services" 2004, Vol. 48, No 6, pp. 22-23.
- Leavitt H.J., Pondy L., Boje D.M. (eds.).: Readings in managerial psychology. University of Chicago Press, 1980.
- Mavondo F., Farrel M.: Cultural orientation: its relationship with market orientation, innovation and organizational performance. "Management Decision" 2003, Vol. 41, No 3, pp. 241-249.
- Negroponte N.: Creating a culture of ideas. "Technology Review" 2003, Vol. 106, No l, pp. 34-39.
- Ohmae K.: The mind of the strategist. McGraw-Hill, 1982.
- Schein E.H.: Organizational culture and leadership. Jossey-Bass Publishers. 2nd edition, 1992.
- Shane S.: Cultural differences in innovation championing strategies. "Journal of Management" 1995, Vol. 21, No 5, pp. 931-952.
- Stewart T.: Capital Intelectual. A nova riqueza das organizações. Edições Silabo, 1998.
- Sudano B.: Innovation: the road to success. "Beverage World" 2003, Vol. 122, No 1731, pp. 45-56.
- Sveiby K.E.: A nova riqueza das organizações: gerenciando e avaliando patrimônios de conhecimento. Editora Campus, 1998.
- Wycoff J.: The "Big 10" innovation killers: how to keep your innovation system alive and well. "The Journal for Quality and Participation" 2003, Vol. 6, No 2, Summer, pp. 17-48.